Buying "Replacement" Shoes

mlroseplant

Hello all, the last three pairs of shoes I purchased were not anything new and exciting, but rather exact replacements for shoes I really liked, but that have just plain worn out to the point of unwearability. All three pairs I purchased were open-toed mules, if you can believe that. I have provided pictures of new and old. I found all three pair on Poshmark, and had given up on ever finding any of them again after looking for years on ebay. And yet, there they were on Poshmark. I could not help myself.

First up is the Steve Madden Crunk. Unfortunate model name. 4 1/2" heel, 1" platform. The old pair was purchased way back in probably 2013, and were my first pair of, for lack of a better term, "Candies style" mules. At the time, they were super radical for me, and I never figured I would wear them outside of the house. Eventually I found a pair of long flair jeans that didn't catch on the shoes when I walked. Hindsight is 20/20, and I now realize that the attention those odd, 1970s style jeans attracted was probably more than just wearing the shoes for everyone to see. Oh well, I survived intact anyway. What I discovered once I did start wearing them out is that these things are just not very durable. It didn't take them long to start looking pretty raggety, the upper liners wore out, I wore through the sole, the footbed liner had to be reglued several times, and I had them reheeled once.  The new pair I got was almost brand new, and was about $20. I will not be wearing the new pair as walking shoes. They just won't take it, and I have other shoes that are better suited to that purpose now.

Second to be noted are the True Religion mules, 4 3/4" heel, 3/4" platform. These are sort of the least liked of the three, both in terms of the shoe itself, and the condition of the shoe as purchased. I've had a couple pairs of these shoes in the past, the first pair was exactly this model, but orange. I got rid of them fairly quickly, because not only did I think I would never wear a pair of orange mules out and about (I certainly would now), but it just seemed like they never quite fit right. This was before I got a high heel shoe stretcher, and before I had an instinct as to whether a tight shoe would ever fit right eventually. Last year, I saw an identical pair in dark brown for cheap, and I snatched them up. After a considerable break-in period (they were really quite snug at first), they became a very comfortable longer distance walking shoe, and I wore them a lot. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, I lost a heel tip early on a walk one evening, and by the time I realized anything was wrong, it was too late: The heel on that shoe had been severely damaged beyond repair, and I had to throw them out. I found this newest pair, identical to the brown pair for very cheap (they were not cheap when new), and thought they looked a little raggety, but took a chance on them because of the price. As it turns out, they're not so bad, and as they're already sort of "distressed" from the factory anyway, a few scuffs here and there doesn't really affect the overall look of them. Not super crazy about the style, but as I said, they are super comfy walking shoes, and whoever wore them before, and they seem to have been worn quite a bit, broke them in already for me, as they fit perfectly from the beginning.

Last, but not least, are the BCBGirls Bonny beaded mules. 4 7/8" heel, 1 1/4" platform. These have turned out to be my favorite of the three, and have proven to be the most durable--sort of. I have glued them back together several times, but they seem to hold for a considerable time between. I know it doesn't seem like it's possible, but these are an all day walking shoe, and I have proved it by wearing them on our trip to Chicago last summer, wearing them all day for two days in a row, and walking (at least according to my phone) around 10 miles and 20-something-thousand steps. They are about the most impractical looking things ever, but somehow they are not. Again, when I purchased them years ago, they were quite radical for me at the time, and I haven't really brought them out until the last couple of years, but I wear them several times a week all spring, summer, and fall. So when I saw a practically brand new pair in my size, still with the box, I knew I'd better buy them, as I might not ever find them again. I bet that model is 10 years old if it's a day. The asking price was $75, which seemed awfully steep to me for the bottom line of BCBG, but I kept my eye on them, as they'd been for sale for some time. I eventually talked the seller down to $60, which was still more than I wanted to pay, but I knew I would eventually get my money's worth out of them, it wasn't some whimsical purchase. When I got them, it looked as though they had either just been tried on, or maybe worn to an indoor party once--practically perfect in every way, like Mary Poppins.

It's not quite as exciting as getting something completely different, but it is satisfying to know that I've got 3 pairs of shoes I know I will wear a lot. I'm still on the lookout for one more pair that I wish I'd have bought a duplicate of when I had the chance a couple of years ago.

And now for the question of the day: How many of you have purchased identical shoes to replace ones that you love?

Crunkold.JPG

Crunknew.JPG

NewReligionold.PNG

NewReligionnew.JPG

Bonnyold.JPG

Bonnynew.JPG

• Like 2

I haven't purchased any replacement. But once I find a pair I really like and I see they are selling out I try to purchase additional pairs. I wish I had started this earlier because there are some favorite heels I have worn out.

17 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

I have done this several times, problem I have is the more wear the more comfortable so restarting has been an issue for me.

Ain't that the truth! I'm especially noticing that with the Steve Maddens. I'm having to wear them for a short time every other day until they soften up a bit in places. The new BCBGs are quite stiff compared to the old ones, so I think it's going to be the same process for those as well.

I kid you not, but I have 9 pairs of my favourite ankle boots, enough to last until I die but I hope not, will wait and see.

• Like 1

life is not a rehearsal

• 2 weeks later...

mlroseplant,

Pretty nice you got exact replacements of your favourite mules. And I know you love your mules! I do remember when Bakers was in business they would tell me a number of their pumps, especially the "Victoria" series needed to be broken in and I found that to be true. I believe I have only two mule style sandals. One was an tan mule sandal from Target which my wife actually bought for me in 2007 and the other is a 7" platform sandal I got at my friend's store in Chicago. Mules look good on you and you look fearless doing any range of chores in them.

I have never bought replacement shoes but have at least twice bought two pairs of a style I really loved knowing I'd eventually get to the second pair one day. HappyinHeels

Mlrose....      Nice mules...  I like the mule style, and have a few pair of my own.   As for replacing a favorite pair of shoes, I found out long ago that replacing a pair of shoes that you really like can be difficult if not impossible.  When I find a shoe that I really, really like, I buy two pair while they are still available.  I now have four pair of sandals in "stand-by" for when the original pair were out.  Has worked well for me, except I need to find a place to store an extra pair of shoes!!  What a problem to have...  ha ha.....   Take care all....   sf 

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"