High Heels The Book!

Shyheels

I read the excerpt. While I admire her smooth writing style and exquisite command of the language she nevertheless strikes me as another liberal looking for the usual suspects as scapegoats. If you're white you are a problem, if you're a man you're really a problem, if you work in the corporate system you are part of the conspiracy against all women. The fact is conditions have NEVER been better for so many women in so many places as right now. Women wear high heels for the same reasons they like to buy pickup trucks and sports utility vehicles in the USA and Canada. They want that temporal elevated sensation which comes with both. They want equality but they'll still expect a man, any man, to hold open the door or pay for the meal. I suspect the book will be one long diatribe about the trials and tribulations of women and the guilt those who are not women or who are white or who work in privileged positions she obviously thinks they do not deserve. The details are in the excerpt. My power doesn't come from heels or someone else's nutty idea that somehow I am privileged because I appear white or I am male. My power comes from the confidence within me, the seeds of thoughtful interaction, compassion, understanding, and respect having been sown wherever I have travelled or lived, and not from a temporal symbol of bling upon my body. 

There are far darker examples of struggles from history. What the black peoples of the Americas endured until the last part of the 19th century, what the Jewry of Europe suffered in World War II, and, on a more personal level, what my ancestral Native American/First Nations peoples suffered for 500 years after the arrival of Europeans in the Americas. Call these three examples of "trails of tears" on three different continents. I'll bet this lady never endured what Rosa Parks endured in 1955 as she refused to be shoved around. Always worth mentioning such struggles for equality. Then again, I'm not trying to make a profit from it either. That's my take on the excerpt. HappyinHeels   

Well, I can't fault the logic of any of that. I've not bought or read the book but as you say there is indeed a strong element of scapegoating suggested in the excerpt. My guess is she wrote to to a particular market, with a particular marketing sensibility. Probably taking good note of something Samuel Johnson once said - no man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money. I think the same can be said for women. She aimed for a market