Facebook Marketplace page

heellover00

If anyone here uses facebook there is a page called marketplace where you can search for shoes / other products for cheap prices. I found some high heels that someone was selling about few miles away from my house. You can specific a location and how many miles you are willing to drive and find some nice priced High Heels.

• Like 1

Based upon Facebook's abysmal record as it relates to privacy and their snooping NSA-style on multiple levels I would extend the following to them: "you are most cordially invited to perform an anatomically impossible act." I know from an audience standpoint versus investment ratio it makes sense but a consumer can hold a company accountable by NOT feeding that beast. There are other ways to sell things without inviting spies into your home. Mark Z. has contempt for the public in general and for the United States as well. Isn't that why he chose Singapore as his legal home? That's the "evil empire" of the 21st century. HinH

• Like 2

Facebook = evil....   simple...

and that includes most other “social media” outlets.....   just one opinion....   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I will agree with you 100% totally evil, do not want anything to do with facebook or any other of those type of websites, mind you if my daughter cannot get on facebook etc you would think it's the end of the world.

life is not a rehearsal

dww,

Imagine telling her there was once a time when: People actually wrote letters to each other, cars had no seatbelts, everyone drank water from the tap, kids rode bicycles without helmets, and homes/apartments had no computers in them. We should have all died years ago lacking all the comforts of 2019. Alas, we didn't! Whilst social media has proven valuable in finding long lost connections and perhaps solving criminal cases it has also contributed to a mob "let's try 'em, and hang 'em online mentality. So many people will now hurl all manner of vile language someone's way online because they don't possess the class, articulate skills of a decent conversationalist, or possibly even the intellect to sustain a face-to-face encounter. Of course I'd sum these three qualities into one word: coward. It is easy to gang up on someone when you are anonymous and hiding under the digital rock or maybe it's the digital sewer. Same thing. Trust me, there are some really exciting things in 2019 but I seem to remember life was pretty damn good back in 1975 or 1968. The music from then has stood the test of time because it was the best that has ever been made. Period.

Oh, and we were actually more aware of our surroundings because we looked up at one another and not down at some electronic device. HappyinHeels

• Like 1

Totally agree. We my kids were younger they were amazed to read in Enid Blyton stories about children going off on adventures on their bicycles miles from their houses, totally unsupervised - they couldn't even conceive of the kind of freedom we totally took for granted. I would love for them to have it, but given the amount of fast aggressive traffic, crowded onto streets and roads that were never designed for it, and the number of dangerous creeps out there, I wouldn't dare let them. And they'd be scared to try. Sad.

• Like 2

Happyinheels,  Yep  would totally agree with you, It would be so great if we could go back to sixties, life was so much more fun then, I agree with Shyheels we used to go of on our bikes away from home allday. I remember feeling a bit tired on day and sitting by the side of the road with my bike, couple drove by  turned around came back and asked if things were ok, that could not happen today. Daughter found some of my LP's in the garage, she said my these are large CD'S (quite a few Beatles first realises) bought by myself. First record was Telstar by the tornadoes, sister wanted Glad all over by the Dave Clark Five. People today do not know what real life is about, we made up our own games, and you taught yourself as time went on, but you know all that already, teaching granny to suck eggs springs to mind.

• Like 2

life is not a rehearsal

The bicycle trip reference brings back memories. I remember my first long bike ride of about 14 miles (24km) one-way from our farm near Kansasville, Wisconsin to Antioch, Illinois. Crossing a state border is a big deal on a bike when you're a kid. That was in 1970 when I was 9 years old. Later when my father's job moved us to Pennsylvania I discovered much of Central Pennsylvania from a bike seat. I still remember hitting 60mph (96kph) down a 17% grade on PA state highway 74 coming down a mountain and thanking my stars I had good brakes on the bike...and with no helmet! Yep, we sure had lots of mobility at such a young age back then. Drive a car in the countryside at 12 years old and nobody stared at you. Of course country kids learn how to run all sorts of equipment at an early age. Nothing quite like cruising with the windows open and listening to music from the likes of the Stones, ACDC, Led Zepelin, the BeeGees, and so many more. I can still remember pulling into filling stations and seeing two uniformed guys come out to fill the tank and check tires and clean the windshield whilst we went inside to sip a 10-cent soda in a returnable bottle and could pickup free road maps which were printed by the oil companies in those days.  I kept some old maps from those times. I have a 1961 map of Illinois and it sure is different from today. Trips back then were much more hands-on. Ah, the memories!!  HappyinHeels

Very similar memories here. My bicycle enlarged and informed my world. I too collected the free road maps from the service stations and imagined myself taking all sorts of journeys. I remember the thrill of riding down to the village and buying those 10-cent glass bottles of Coke or whatever, drinking them in the porch of the general store, our legs dangling, and the feeling of liberation of being out and about in the world. Much better times to be a child.

RonC + Shyheels,

I think you're both right. Millennials today couldn't fathom a time when one could motor around the Midwest, or rural New England, pull into a filling station and pump your gas before paying for it.  One could then use the bathroom, pick up some free maps, sip a soda, and then chat with the proprietor whilst paying for one's gas all in one shot. Nobody had to calculate how much gas they would need to pump as there was no pre-pay in those days in those rural areas. The last station I remember filling up without paying first was in Kansas last year. Of course this Midwest region is still a place where we have self-service vegetable and fruit stands. There's one within walking distance of my house here in rural Kenosha County. HinH

New York State, the real State, nothing south of Binghamton is still the same way when it comes to veggie stands. You can't go more than a mile on just about any rural road without a fresh veggie stand. Many farms run these from mid July to September, August being the best time for the finest sweat corn you'll ever eat. I was amazed when I moved to North Carolina how rare such a thing is.

Here in the UK, at most petrol stations, we still fill up our cars before paying at the kiosk. An increasing number have card readers at the pump, you insert your card, enter your PIN, fill the tank and it charges the correct amount to your card. Attended service is now very rare indeed.

When I'm out of London I've bought fruit, veg and honey via honesty boxes.

Edited by at9

Yes, I bought eggs fruit and veg from honesty boxes in Somerset and Devon when we were there in holiday last summer.

The days of service station attendants filling your tank, checking your oil and cleaning the windows are long gone though.

In New Jersey and Oregon it is illegal to pump your own gasoline and there has to be an attendant.  But still no one has offered to checking oil and tyre pressures, or wash windows, which is basic maintenance that I do when I pump my own gas.   

You can still find honest places in west Cornwall were you can buy fruit, eggs and veg, quite a of locals use them daily, ask my sister who lives near St ives in sunny Cornwall. Last petrol station I went that was attended was on the St Just- Penzance road, it was in Newbridge gallon of fuel 3/4p, yes six gallons for a pound. bring back the sixties.

life is not a rehearsal

We still have honesty fruit stands here in my area of California, and our fruit stands run all year long.

Last time I had an attendant fill my gas tank was in Oregon.

Cali,

That's because Oregon is one of just two states (NJ is the other) which does not allow people to pump their own gas. My reference was to a time when there was no self-serve gas anywhere. I guess your town still holds onto some reminder of simpler times while the rest of the Golden State is sadly quite different. HinH

It's not a contest. I'm just lucky to live in an area with farms and fruit stands. I went to work via a country road this morning - saw 6 signs with "fresh eggs" out front.

Raising your own food can be done even in suburban environments.  Our fruit trees are flowering and when the sun comes up here I’ll be heading outside to let the chickens out of the coop and collect their eggs... in knee boots of course.  

On 3/28/2019 at 9:25 AM, HappyinHeels said:

RonC + Shyheels,

I think you're both right. Millennials today couldn't fathom a time when one could motor around the Midwest, or rural New England, pull into a filling station and pump your gas before paying for it.  One could then use the bathroom, pick up some free maps, sip a soda, and then chat with the proprietor whilst paying for one's gas all in one shot. Nobody had to calculate how much gas they would need to pump as there was no pre-pay in those days in those rural areas. The last station I remember filling up without paying first was in Kansas last year. Of course this Midwest region is still a place where we have self-service vegetable and fruit stands. There's one within walking distance of my house here in rural Kenosha County. HinH

In my area there is a gas station, that you don't have to pre- pay for your gas unless you want a specific amount. You pump your gas then pay for it in cash only. No credit cards or debit cards are excepted for payment.  There are always long lines at their pumps for cars to fill up on gas, as cash rules  at this station. However for diesel fuel purchases you can pay with a credit card, even pre- pay at the pump. I have  diesel powered trucks and equipment but I have a business account with the owner of this independent station and I pay with a company check for my fuel purchases. The reason that he takes credit cards for truckers is that he sells a lot of diesel fuel to tractor trailer drivers and when they fill up their 300 gal tanks, at $3.02 per gal that's a big chunk of change. That station still has the best prices for gasoline and diesel fuel in our whole area, except for the Indian reservation stations that charge no tax on fuel (New York State taxes) but truckers beware that New York State Department of Taxtation often parks near these reservation stations and  pulls over the big rigs and checks their records to see if their filing their  New York State fuel taxes with the State of New York. If they aren't, they're in big trouble with the State of New York.

Those Tax men don't worry about cars, only the big truck rigs.

And yes, there are many road side stands selling their home grown fruits and vegetables during the growing season, in my area.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay