Payless Shoes Closing...

SF

On 2/18/2019 at 10:26 AM, Lime15 said:

This is the key.

If you wear a size 13, Payless was one of the few retailers that had constant seasonal stock of new shoes in a standard 13.  Not whatever oddball version of "wide width" Torrid is deciding upon as the definition this week, not the overpriced and limited selection of Lane Bryant, and not the rare unsold scraps the discounters get.  Payless wasn't always the best quality, but they were absolutely comparable to those other choices at 1/3 the cost, which made it perfectly acceptable - especially when they would have an occasional great fitting above-average quality style (Brash, some Christian Siriano, the old Christian Siriano Gold Collection).  Importantly as well, Payless shoes generally would fit the same, which made ordering online easy.

I hated going into their stores - they never had any variety in my size, but I ordered online from them all the time.  Sure, Payless hasn't had very many incredible styles recently like they did not too long ago but the plus size retailers (Torrid, Lane Bryant, etc.) have become the very definition of frumpy shoes over the past few years.

If / when you list those shoes, please send me a message here as I would be most interested as well! Thanks!

I agree with you on that one - Torrid is horrid (lol) for the most part, and Lane Bryant has next to nothing as well.  It will be tough losing Payless.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 9:14 PM, AZShoeNut said:

Oh man, that really sucks.  They did it to themselves.  During the early Brash days Payless was totally rockin.  Then all of the sudden their heel heights seemed to come down, there were fewer and fewer wide widths, and the styles became fairly mediocre.

Serious bummer though as I always loved going into a Payless and trying on shoes.  I usually didn't walk out empty handed.

I agree. In my earley heeling days, about 6 years ago, Payless had some attractive heels. The last few years they have been disappointing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RonC said:

I agree with you on that one - Torrid is horrid (lol) for the most part, and Lane Bryant has next to nothing as well.  It will be tough losing Payless.

What irritates me about Torrid is that 4 - 5 years ago they had tons of awesome shoes in a variety of colors and designs.  They also all fit really consistently.  Then their designs became really frumpy (and more expensive) and their sizing began to fluctuate all over the place.  All they need to do is bring back the System, Quincy, Holly, etc. styles and they'd make bank instantly.  They did that once before around Halloween a couple years ago when they didn't have any classic platform pumps (black patent and red patent System platforms came back for a few weeks), so it's not beyond them to manufacture them again.

I'd say I'd like them to get another larger size partnership with Iron Fist going but it looks like Iron Fist is either in the process of going under (for what, the fourth time?) or already has.

Edited by Lime15

I sure hate to loose an old friendly place.  I made the decision a few years back to go into a store to actually try them on during a public shopping trip just before Halloween.  My premise was dressing as the Bride of Frankenstein when they had the Brash Luna and Kosmic platform pumps.  The sales associate was very very helpful.  She helped me determine what seemed to be the best fit between a 12M, 12W, 13M, and 13W in both the stiletto and wedge heel. She made me feel at ease as I did make the purchase of the 13M Kosmic.  I continued to shop and try on different styles several times thereafter over the next several years. 

Sadly, on one trip a couple of years back, an SA made a comment about my returning to just try on shoes which made me feel uncomfortable.  I left and did not return to that store but on my later trips, I s.  aw nothing to make me want to try.  Overall, the styles in most places are no better.  It is just a sign of the times that boring feet are preferred. 

But my pleasant memories will remain as the business fades into the history.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

• 3 weeks later...

Shoeshow.com is an online retailer that has an enormous selection in size 12 and 13. I've done fairly well by them over the years. There are brick and mortar stores in central Ohio to which I can return items which don't fit, and so there's no shipping charge to return them. 

And with regard to the Nullarbor Plain in Australia, my wife and I were there just a couple of weeks ago, taking the Indian-Pacific train across the continent. It was 3 days and 3 nights. Quite an adventure. They announced over the PA system when we started and finished that straight stretch of track, 477 km, which took several hours. And it was fun to wear heels (and ballet flats, too) while on the train. Here are photos of the three pair of heels I took and wore in Australia: Born "Belinda" platform sandals in black with 3" heels, Born "Rutina" platform sandals in brown with 3" heels, and Clarks "Octavia" clogs/mules in black with 3" heels.

We also had the chance to meet SF in person for drinks and dinner in Los Angeles before we flew over the Pacific. We had been emailing for a few years and narrowly missed an encounter in person in Vancouver a few years ago, so this time we were sure to make it happen. He is on the right in the photo, and I'm on the left, wearing the Clark's "Octavia."

Steve

Born Belinda black.jpg

Born Rutina brown.jpg

Clarks Octavia black 1.jpg

IMG_2017.JPG

• Like 2

I was at a Payless in Salinas and San Jose today....  They did not have what I was looking for (Paige wedgie ankle strap sandal) but the clerks said that they continue to get stock in weekly, so don’t give up, keep looking.  

I had gotten the Paige sandal a few years back and really love that shoe....

The clerks also advised that Payless will probably be open till the end of May, then gone forever.....  sniffle, sniffle, gonna miss ‘em....

The hunt continues......  sf

Hey Steve.....   Who’s the guy wearing the sandals?  Oh, that’s me.....   Was fun meeting and dining with you, had a very nice time...

see ya...   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Thanks, those are probably my most favorite pair of heels.  Got them a few years ago from Marmi Shoes, VanEli is the brand.  Quite comfortable and I just like the style.  The kitten heels is a bit fem, would prefer a wedgie heel but can’t have everything. I have gotten a lot of compliments (from both guys and gals) when wearing these shoes.  When they came available, I bought two pair just in case they disappeared forever.  So far Marmi has not brought the style back.....

Have fun.....   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"