Ladies Jeans...

bambam

12 hours ago, Rockpup said:

Found this graphic that might be helpful. 

Has someone saw "girlfriend jeans" in any style guide or article? I'd love to know.

• Like 1

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

Has anyone in here ever visited a fabric store?  You'll see hundreds of yards of fabric, denim included, all rolled up like giant paper towel rolls. Stacked on top of each other.  Same goes with shoe leather rolls too if I'm not mistaken.   Most of the clothes we wear, just comes from a sheet of fabric.  And that sheet of fabric doesn't hold intrinsic masculine or feminine value.   So all this value I ascribe to wearing women's shoes or boots literally comes from a sheet of fabric, which in it of itself has no male or female value.    

It's male/female value comes from social consensus achieved via advertising, marketing, media, and in today's world social media.  Yet, I'm still susceptible to outside definitions of what is male/female.

• Like 4

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Indeed. And footwear of some sort is worn by all and so as a genus can be considered unisex. What it comes down to in terms of the male/female thing is a simply matter of styling of one particular element - the heel and, in the case of boots, the shaft height. 

Interesting too is the difference colour and material seems to make in regards to jeans or trousers. A man would readily wear a pink shirt, and pink shirts can readily be found in the menswear sections of just about any high street shop - but pink jeans? Never. Or at least not in any high street shop. Material too.  Vinyl, faux leather and leather have become on-trend with women's jeans and trousers, but you would never see such offerings in menswear  

And yet they are all jeans (or trousers) 

In the case of jeans colour and material seem to be defining. 

Edited by Shyheels

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:51 AM, flavio said:

Has someone saw "girlfriend jeans" in any style guide or article? I'd love to know.

Yes, I remember hearing about "girlfriend jeans" also, were they made by levis??

Girlfriend jeans is a type of women's jean. Several brands produce girlfriend jeans. I don't know what makes them girlfriend jeans.

I love the feel and fit of the jeans sold to women, so soft and stretchy. I have several pairs and wear them once in a while. The major problem for me is the utter lack of decent front pockets. Since my legs where not designed for skinny jeans, the best (for me) are Levis 517 stretch boot cut.

23 minutes ago, Cali said:

Girlfriend jeans is a type of women's jean. Several brands produce girlfriend jeans. I don't know what makes them girlfriend jeans.

I love the feel and fit of the jeans sold to women, so soft and stretchy. I have several pairs and wear them once in a while. The major problem for me is the utter lack of decent front pockets. Since my legs where not designed for skinny jeans, the best (for me) are Levis 517 stretch boot cut.

OK, I understand now, thanks..D

18 hours ago, kneehighs said:

Has anyone in here ever visited a fabric store?  You'll see hundreds of yards of fabric, denim included, all rolled up like giant paper towel rolls. Stacked on top of each other.  Same goes with shoe leather rolls too if I'm not mistaken.   Most of the clothes we wear, just comes from a sheet of fabric.  And that sheet of fabric doesn't hold intrinsic masculine or feminine value.   So all this value I ascribe to wearing women's shoes or boots literally comes from a sheet of fabric, which in it of itself has no male or female value.    

It's male/female value comes from social consensus achieved via advertising, marketing, media, and in today's world social media.  Yet, I'm still susceptible to outside definitions of what is male/female.

17 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Indeed. And footwear of some sort is worn by all and so as a genus can be considered unisex. What it comes down to in terms of the male/female thing is a simply matter of styling of one particular element - the heel and, in the case of boots, the shaft height. 

Interesting too is the difference colour and material seems to make in regards to jeans or trousers. A man would readily wear a pink shirt, and pink shirts can readily be found in the menswear sections of just about any high street shop - but pink jeans? Never. Or at least not in any high street shop. Material too.  Vinyl, faux leather and leather have become on-trend with women's jeans and trousers, but you would never see such offerings in menswear  

And yet they are all jeans (or trousers) 

In the case of jeans colour and material seem to be defining. 

Your both correct in that the fabric has no defining characteristics relative to gender although you rarely find stretch denim in the men's department. Pink shirts are a regional thing - East and West coast and the daring in Florida and Chicago. Even out here in the stick, it's gonna provoke a 'gay' response or possibly a ""I've been married a long time and I can get away wearing this to Church on Sunday "" view point. Even men's dress slacks are fading out in favour of the cheaper jeans. The donation thrift stores are chocked full of what most call "Old Geezer" pants and shirts because nobody wears them. I can't say much because I haven't worn anything other than jeans and maybe corduroy pants in the last 35 to 40 years.

The other thing I see happening is the disappearance of stores selling true menswear. If you have to wear a suit or something a bit more presentable per dress code, your going to a JC Penney, Target, and maybe a couple other chain stores, but other than that, your going to have to drive an hour or so to get a better selection than Walmart.

Myself, there is nothing for me to consider in the men's department. Pleats in the front don't look good on me, it's all baggy and doesn't fit right. Pockets are way to deep for me (If I have to bend over to reach the bottom of a front pocket  - forgetaboutit) Hell, I can't even find underwear I like in the men's department - I have to order from Amazon and get it from China.

OK - - Done ranting - - I'll go back to my corner now !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heelster said:

Your both correct in that the fabric has no defining characteristics relative to gender although you rarely find stretch denim in the men's department.

I have several pairs of Men's Stretch Denim made by Levis and a search on the Levis' site turns up many styles that also come in the stretch fabric. Other brands now have stretch denim available. Still men's stretch denim is not even close to how nice women's stretch denim.

Once I stopped limiting myself to just part of the store, my choices opened up.  Does it fit and can I wear it to work are my only two main criteria I consider.

31 minutes ago, Cali said:

I have several pairs of Men's Stretch Denim made by Levis and a search on the Levis' site turns up many styles that also come in the stretch fabric. Other brands now have stretch denim available. Still men's stretch denim is not even close to how nice women's stretch denim.

Once I stopped limiting myself to just part of the store, my choices opened up.  Does it fit and can I wear it to work are my only two main criteria I consider.

Pretty strange to say, but I can't think of a place that carries Levi's other than the women's department at JC Penney. I'm gonna have to pay attention next time I'm out

Heelster,

You wear corduroy pants?  That's a thing out of the past maybe 20-25 years ago. I haven't seen any man wearing corduroy pants in my area, in at least 20-25 years. Good dress pants will always be in style, and they are not old geezer pants, as you called them. Chinos are a basic style of pants for men and they come in lots of colors and fabrics. Stores like Macy's,  Kohl's , Penny's, Sears carry lots of them. Walmart does too but basically their own brands..I like Dockers, brand which also make dress pants . Izod also makes great pants.

I seldom wear jeans as that's what I was brought up in in the 50's and early 60's. Then they were called overalls  or dungarees and I hated them growing up.

As far as wearing colors, I'm not afraid to wear a pink, purple, yellow, green, orange or bright blue, in dress shirts. Even my 90 + year old,  father-in-law wears those colors.  Never has anyone said we were wearing a gay color. I have dress pants in royal blue, purple, red, yellow, white and green among other bright colors. I find men's dress pants in basic black  and grey very boring. I'm considered a very fashionable dresser by both men and women. Yes, I do wear heels with my dress clothes, even when wearing a suit or a sports jacket, of which I have many bright colors, too.

I guess that's what makes us different as we all have our own tastes, in clothing and shoes.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pebblesf said:

Yes, I remember hearing about "girlfriend jeans" also, were they made by levis??

I was being ironic about advertising a "girlfriend styled" jeans for guys.

14 hours ago, Cali said:

But the fashion journalists don't print pictures of men on magazines and websites with the small text saying "Joe The Plumber wears (trademark) shoes, (trademark) shirt and (generic) girlfriend pants". That's what I meant to say.

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

On 3/26/2019 at 10:40 PM, kneehighs said:

This is what I love about visiting and buying from custom shoe store or a tailor. You start with the rolls of material and the whole world is yours.  

12 hours ago, Cali said:

Still men's stretch denim is not even close to how nice women's stretch denim.

The stretch denim in the men’s department is usually only a 10% elastase mix at most, whereas in women’s they will use 30%+ to get the “jeggings” look and feel.  

It’s amazing all the fabrics most men miss out on because they are not used in their styles. I wonder if it is because we ignorantly gobble up the trash that gets dumped in the men’s departments.  You want trousers?  Polyester.  Oh you don’t like polyester?  Then we can move on to the higher end of the store where we will have wool.  That’s it, we’re just stupid men that would not appreciate anything different.  

When I am shopping trousers in the women’s department, I probably look like a kid in a candy store, running my hands through all the new materials and finally understanding why certain pieces there look and feel so good.  Cotton, silk, leather skins, Lyocell, rayon, viscose...  There is so much to enjoy about the different ways these materials feel, wear, drape, and move.  

The same goes with shoes.  The different hides, skins, shapes, and heels feel and move differently, and it’s a big part of your overall wardrobe experience due to all the physical movement of your feet as you go through your day. 

6 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

This is what I love about visiting and buying from custom shoe store or a tailor. You start with the rolls of material and the whole world is yours.  

The stretch denim in the men’s department is usually only a 10% elastase mix at most, whereas in women’s they will use 30%+ to get the “jeggings” look and feel.  

It’s amazing all the fabrics most men miss out on because they are not used in their styles. I wonder if it is because we ignorantly gobble up the trash that gets dumped in the men’s departments.  You want trousers?  Polyester.  Oh you don’t like polyester?  Then we can move on to the higher end of the store where we will have wool.  That’s it, we’re just stupid men that would not appreciate anything different.  

When I am shopping trousers in the women’s department, I probably look like a kid in a candy store, running my hands through all the new materials and finally understanding why certain pieces there look and feel so good.  Cotton, silk, leather skins, Lyocell, rayon, viscose...  There is so much to enjoy about the different ways these materials feel, wear, drape, and move.  

The same goes with shoes.  The different hides, skins, shapes, and heels feel and move differently, and it’s a big part of your overall wardrobe experience due to all the physical movement of your feet as you go through your day. 

Some male super skinny jeans Calvin Klein have incredible stretch and comfort no other brand for men i seen. Problem with fabrics is most designs for men aren't tailored to fit tight or snug thus not needing elastic type of stretch. Men designs are suppose to drape a man while woman's are to shape contour there body hips butt etc..

While more men who are in shape tend to flock towards fitted even compression type clothes. Had amusing comments from colleague at work. In jest mocking my tight shirt or fitted pants, telling him i enjoy my clothes tight. He understood very well, saying he sometimes does it to. Funny part he admitted while i mocked myself saying he has difficulty finding clothes that fit tight going few sizes smaller, needing to shop in youth department, both of us laughing....  Little did he know woman fabrics do the same job and better. Guess it's emasculating to even admit saying your wearing woman tight style clothes. 

10 hours ago, MackyHeels said:

Little did he know woman fabrics do the same job and better.

And in more colors and styles.

Only cords today came from the men's side; everything else, including my sweater (jumper) came from the other side. A friend stopped by this morning to pick up a power tool. She doesn't usually see me on my way to work (in my work clothes) and told me I looked good, really liked my sweater. Then I told her the sweater was from VS and she still said it looked good on me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cali said:

And in more colors and styles.

Only cords today came from the men's side; everything else, including my sweater (jumper) came from the other side. A friend stopped by this morning to pick up a power tool. She doesn't usually see me on my way to work (in my work clothes) and told me I looked good, really liked my sweater. Then I told her the sweater was from VS and she still said it looked good on me.

That happens to me also. Often i believe because women like their certain styles or color of clothes, seeing it on anyone, a man for instance, will often give out compliments regardless. In most of my experiences woman use me as litmus test of the clothes i wear what works what doesn't. They know the brand i often wear,  so they never need to ask or talk to me. If woman are intrigued liking my clothes and i've been told  by some  observing they definitely do go out of there way to look. Then many go out purchasing the same clothes i'm seen wearing.  Sometimes we clash  wearing the identical same print of pants dressed alike. While they notice me as i them, they keep their distance, even laugh being teased by others of our similar taste in clothes that particular day.

While friendly female friend takes pictures of our same outfits like we were twins dressed alike she loves it. While my haters will always be that, never involving themselves onto me, even though it is coincidence wearing same outfit that day.

One reason i wear mostly woman clothes or jeans in particular. Most woman look upon other woman as trend they wear following the style. When they see it on me a male in envious slim legs and fit body they have bewilderment expression which i love. Tells me they have binary issues  of what man and woman should be wearing as a proper style traditionally suited in society. When they observe closely that the jeans fit me perfectly like they are designed and wash is intriguing to their liking. Woman need to re-think their thoughts asking themselves love what he is wearing even envious but he is a man in woman clothes. Everything the know or taught in life of gender traditional clothing goes out the window believing it doesn't matter he looks good regardless. Thus some might say love your taste in clothes or what your wearing looks pretty, beautiful.

Had seen the same compliments from woman about men's sweaters liking them. Only because it's male designed product and enough support woman give they soon be wearing same colour style print in there size owning it for themselves.

One example is camo leggings very masculine print but woman find it very popular taking that style for themselves. When woman seen me wearing it first notice many bulging eyeballs on me, they knew immediately they wanted wearing it for themselves, soon selling out the print and leggings of the brand i wear. It's compliment nonetheless knowing my taste in feminine clothes is in line with them. Although do know many females feel angst or uncomfortable sharing the same style as me as wrong thing for man to wear. Yet once i given them the idea or seen me in something they want wishing they bought it first.

Edited by MackyHeels

On 3/27/2019 at 11:47 PM, bluejay said:

You wear corduroy pants? 

It's been a long time !!

On 3/27/2019 at 11:47 PM, bluejay said:

Good dress pants will always be in style, and they are not old geezer pants, as you called them

Depends on your neighbourhood

I have several pairs of womens jeans which will need replacing and plan to replace them with ones I find at a thrift store. It seems Goodwill and St. Vincent de Paul have quite a selection and the chances of finding a pair with decent front pockets are much better too. I have browsed while in the stores for other things and thought this would simply be a more frugal option as well as a more environmentally-friendly one. I think I'll make some shorts out of at least of them. The cutoffs I wear tend to be quite short indeed but that gets me more sun while doing yard chores. HinH

All of my jeans are from the ladies section from different brands like, H&M, forever 21 and American eagle outfitters.  I like these 3 brands since they have a decent pocket at the back and same at the front and very comfy to wear with the right amount of stretchy. I wear a size 8 or 10 regular depending on what style (skinny, slim fit or super skinny).

One feature I've noticed in my sets of jeans is the ladies' jeans have five belt loops and the mens' have six or seven loops. I imagine the difference has to do with men carrying more in their pockets, having usually bigger waists, and wearing thicker belts but there maybe other reasons I haven't thought of. I have a couple of mens' jeans in great condition for the occasional meal out with the wife and the rest are ladies' which I wear most everyday. HinH

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I purchased two pairs of womens jeans or should i be saying jeans which were being sold in a store where they didn't sell menswear ( really ) anyhow one pair from one store was a boot cut blue denim, i tried it on and id fitted me quite nicely except the waist was a tiny bit large , i spoke to the sales lady , and she showed me that these jeans have an adjustable waist band with buttons on the inside,   you pull the fabric adjustment tab which has a series of button holes  and button it up where you need it  .   Brilliant i thought .    The jeans were 50% off so got them for $25    .   The next pair i happened to buy was because i had a mis adventure and my jeans ( above) got wet and was heading to a prospective clients house to do a quotation so did'nt want to show up wet  so went into big W here in Melbourne ( department store similar to K mart) i checked out the jeans in the womens section found a pair of black straight leg jeans , tried them on , they fit like a glove, better than the others i bought earlier and all for a regular (not on sale) price of $19  , my partner said" you've got new jeans , they fit you beautifully , they fit you better than most of the jeans / pants you have got "   I said " yes their from the girls section at big W $19"    i've been realy impressed with the jeans & i'm going back today to see if they have them in blue denim &  also big W had new corduroy skirts as well for $24.95 but only in navy , i really need a black one   happy heeling & jeaning & skirting 

cheers malinheels   :wavey:  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have two pair of Gloria Vanderbilt denim gals jeans (size 12) that I have been wearing for about 8 months.  Actually they were my wife pants, she out grew them and I found them in the bottom of a drawer.  I tried them on and guess what?  They fit nicely!  

I had heard some stories about guys wearing gals pants and took the plunge.  So far my wife, kids, and friends have said noting about my pants, i don't think they have even noticed.  The pants look like any other pair of jeans except the pockets are a bit smaller and the length is about 1 or 2 inches shorter than what I am used to.  Some folks would call them "flood" pants when I was younger.  The shorter length goes well with sandals and heels, showing off a bit more of the shoe and foot than my guy pants would.  

Overall I am happy that I took the chance and tried some gals jeans.  Give it a try, they look nice you may just enjoy it....   sf

PS I would have attached a pic, but all the pics I have exceed the size limit ...

• Like 2

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I have several women's jeans. The feel of the material is far superior to men's jeans and I like the stretch too. My only problem is the pockets, they are too small for mt needs. I only wear them if I am going to wear a vest (or jacket) and be able to keep my valuables in the vest. I'm a size 10 is most women's and a size 8 in some.

I mostly wear women's shorts (because they are shorter) and have been able to find shorts with pockets I can work with. 

Jeremy...  She has not noticed and that does surprise me.  I am curious as to why she has not said anything.  Knowing my wife, if she had noticed she definitely would mention it.  The saga continues, will advise...  The pants do fit well and the fabric is more "strechy" and comfortable than regular denim.  I plan on getting another pair....  have fun...   sf

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"