Facebook

krazyhusband

19 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

then changed all our connections to a hardwire system. Using a proxy device also helps keep a lid on all the snooping.

I wish I could get hard wired connections . Cellphone hotspot device is the best I can do out here in the sticks.

Once outside the normal servicing areas of cable-modem providers such as Spectrum (was Time Warner Cable) most rural folk in the USA get their internet via the satellite provider HughesNet. It services the rural and far-flung areas but the speed is typically at least eight times slower than standard cable-modem service. I can get onto the internet on my phone at our 40 acres in far northern Wisconsin with no internet or firm phone service at all. It is either coming from a 330-ft (101m) radio relay tower (not a visible cell phone tower)  the power utility has next to our land to talk to power crews in the Northwoods or I am hitchhiking off the wifi in my neighbour's house 1000 ft (310m) to the east.  While you often say you are "in the sticks" I think you're still closer to populated areas than our place Up North. When the change to digital from analog tv was made in 2009 it screwed us up as we lost all the over-the-air tv stations except three PBS choices because of a repeater in Park Falls. Unlike an old-fashioned antenna where one could pick up tv reception from far away with some "snow" on the picture the situation now with digital is you either see it crystal clear and you don't see it at all. It's 70 miles/112 km as the radio wave travels to the nearest tv station and we can no longer get it. Do you have that problem? No wonder my movie collection up there has grown! HappyinHeels

7 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

If you ever did cut some trees then you'd have a start on some winter firewood. Sounds like you may have a bigger lot. HinH

I have lots of firewood and nobody comes for it. Over 5 acres of woods with Federal Wetlands. lots of wildlife etc.