Good old Macy's

luvmaryjanes

My wife and I went to Macy's to buy that stuff she smears on her face. I go over to the shoe dept. I'm always glad to see they they have some classics there with nice points and a spike heel that isn't too far back and not tapered. They are made by Nine West and usually come in 3" and 4". heights. Give me a classic any day. They have a beautiful pair in chrome silver but they were size 11, darn it. No way I would get away with trying to buy them there. I've been told internet only. Got a pair in silver on the way now!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I love shopping for heels at Macy's. There is a large Women's Macy's (3 floors) near me and they have a huge women's shoe department. 

I got my first women's dress shoes - booties there when I switched to women's shoes in 2011 and solved my ankle problems. Simple Material Girl booties with 1.5 inch heels.

Over the years I have purchase several heels from them in person, trying them on in store. When I've order on-line and they didn't fit, I always returned in-store because it gave me another opportunity to look through their shoes.

Just before Christmas I shopped there twice and tried on about 8 boots, none of which fit right. I've also had many conversations with women as we waited for our shoes to come out or while trying shoes on sitting side-by-side. But then I'm lucky, I have size 10 feet.

• Like 1

Just curious - why do so many people here invariably refer to their heeled shoes or boots as "women's shoes" or "women's boots"? Surely - given the ostensible desire here to normalise the wearing of heels by men - adding the qualifier "women's" to every description is self-defeating. How is anyone ever going to change the world's perception If even the people here on this site naturally and intuitively characterise heeled boots and shoes as "women's"?

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 2

To me they are just my shoes. But back in 2011 I was searching for shoes that fit, so it was an experiment, a very successful experiment. Since then ALL my shoes have come from that side of the store.

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

Just curious - why do so many people here invariably refer to their heeled shoes or boots as "women's shoes" or "women's boots"? Surely - given the ostensible desire here to normalise the wearing of heels by men - adding the qualifier "women's" to every description is self-defeating. How is anyone ever going to change the world's perception If even the people here on this site naturally and intuitively characterise heeled boots and shoes as "women's"?

They are only “women’s” to me when they are sold in that section of the store, and I think we refer to that section as the women’s section out of convenience of communication.  Obviously we do not think the products sold there are exclusive to women.  To me, they cease to be “women’s” after I have bought them, as they are now mine.  

But yes the more we can shed the qualifier, the better.  My wife still talks about my “girl’s shoes”, but it doesn’t apply to my cowboy boots with 3” heels, so she is cool with those.  We’ll get there slowly.  

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

It was just interesting to me that the qualifier was used so often here at HHP

I guess we still use common terms for communication.  I am not sure what else to call the section in the department store that sells heels.  

Edited by p1ng74
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, krazyhusband said:

You can say “ I went shopping for some heels today at Macy’s” or say what you said.  The heels section. 

I would think that on HHP unless flats or low heels were specifically stated, heels would be assumed in any conversation about footwear. It is a subtle thing, these regular references to “women’s” shoes, but quite telling in their way. I get a sense in some instances the writers actually rather like emphasising the otherness of their shoes or boots. Nothing wrong with that, if that floats your boat, but it would seem to be at odds with regularising the wearing of heels by men.

Edited by Shyheels

- - - - Macy's ??

Went to the nearest one to me just before Christmas. I don't know what Macy's you've been going too, but the this one had damned few heels, crappy looking flat boots, and very little selection. Virtually no staff, and you didn't need to have anyone bring out your size. What was on the rack was what they had.

I like Nine West. Now, the only place to see them in person is DSW. 

4 hours ago, krazyhusband said:

You can say “ I went shopping for some heels today at Macy’s” or say what you said.  The heels section. 

In my ideal world there would be heels offered in men’s shoe departments as well, but I suppose my dream that this would magically advance acceptance of heels might be lofty.  My family brought up my “women’s shoes” again tonight and I asked again what made them women’s shoes.  My wife replied with, “you bought them in the women’s section.”  I replied, “is that all?” which I think sufficiently minimizes that point, because she then moved on to a second argument, which was “they are shoes that women like to wear.”  Also a weak argument, because women like to wear tennis shoes, loafers, and cowboy boots, but does that make them exclusively women’s shoes?  

Edited by p1ng74
grammar
  • Like 1

A very weak argument. In any logical sense, footwear - as an overall category - is unisex as we all wear something on our feet. It comes down to a matter of styling, and in this case the styling of one particular element - the heel. As you say, women like to wear all sort of footwear, but that doesn't give them ownership. 

• Like 1

There a whole different issue as well Shyheels. There is a difference in shape. Men's feet tend to be rectangular and men's shoes reflex this shape. Women's feet tend to be more pear shape and so do their shoes. I have pear shaped feet, so shoes designed for a women-shaped feet fits me better.

1 hour ago, Heelster said:

- - - - Macy's ??

Went to the nearest one to me just before Christmas. I don't know what Macy's you've been going too, but the this one had damned few heels, crappy looking flat boots, and very little selection. Virtually no staff, and you didn't need to have anyone bring out your size. What was on the rack was what they had.

I like Nine West. Now, the only place to see them in person is DSW. 

Your location "The sticks" tells you why. The Macy's I use has over 4000 sq. ft. of just Women's Shoes Display. Men's Shoes is in a different building altogether. It has three sales areas each staffed with 2 to 5 sales people and an army behind them finding requested shoes.

And the shoe department at the San Francisco main store is even larger.

6 minutes ago, Cali said:

There a whole different issue as well Shyheels. There is a difference in shape. Men's feet tend to be rectangular and men's shoes reflex this shape. Women's feet tend to be more pear shape and so do their shoes. I have pear shaped feet, so shoes designed for a women-shaped feet fits me better.

Not in terms of fashion or culture or styling, which is how labels are applied and what determines what are and what are not "women's" shoes or boots.

Everyone has different shaped feet - long, short, narrow, wide. Men tend to be bigger and broader. Mine are long and narrow, with a very narrow heel. My wife's are wide. In neither case does it have any bearing on the popular, cultural definition of "women's"   shoes or boots.

I looked into this a decade ago trying to solve decades of ankle pain and multiple surgeries. There are distinct differences between male and female foot structure that go belong long, short, narrow, wide. I have a large volume toe box and narrow heels; my ankle problems were directly linked to wearing men's shoes. Since switching, no pain, no surgery.

But have you ever tried on a woman's boot?

http://www.northernfootcare.com/blog/post/the-battle-of-the-sexes-mens-vs-womens-feet---your-feet-your-health.html

I am not disputing there are differences between men's feet and those of women. But unless you're getting your shoes or boots custom made, long, short, narrow, wide are going to be pretty much the extent of the differences you'll find in the shops. Mass production doesn't go in much for nuance or individuality. What I am talking about is what defines a shoe or boot as "women's" in the popular imagination. Popular imagination doesn't concern itself much with bone structure and subtle physiological differences, but rather with colour, style, heels and overall femininity.  

And yes, I have tried on what are nominally referred to as women's boots.   

Edited by Shyheels

There is also a difference between the shoes they sell to men and women : They are designed to fit the outfits sold for men and women.

Some combos work well, it is easier (and mind resting in the morning) to reproduce them, so why not continue with them ? I mean, many problems are left to solve in this world, so that we human can spend more time adressing them while still presenting a good image. Which is already solving mood and social problems by the way.

e.g skinnis + chelseas for men. Or suit pants + derbies.

So introducing heels could not go without an outfit.

That’s simply not so. Obviously nobody goes out wearing shoes or boots and nothing else - other clothing is worn, but wearing heels does not require women’s clothing to accessories. Jeans or indeed any other masculine attire works just fine with any pair of heels. 

Edited by Shyheels

9 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I get a sense in some instances the writers actually rather like emphasising the otherness of their shoes or boots. Nothing wrong with that, ....

I agree with you on this, definitely for some of our crowd. Others seem to just want to wear what they want and get on with life ;-) 

6 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Loved this ;-)   and he owns some too ;-) 

6 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I am not disputing there are differences between men's feet and those of women. But unless you're getting your shoes or boots custom made, long, short, narrow, wide are going to be pretty much the extent of the anatomical differences you'll find in the shops. Mass production doesn't go in much for nuance or individuality. What I am talking about is what defines a shoe or boot as "women's" in the popular imagination. Popular imagination doesn't concern itself much with bone structure and subtle physiological differences, but rather with colour, style, heels and overall femininity.  

As a guy who just started wearing heels only about 4 months ago, one of the most fascinating discoveries in this journey is how much style differences, rather than anatomical differences, contribute to the look of femininity in a shoe.  Yes as a baseline, a 10B is narrower than a 10D but if a shoe maker made the exact same shoe in both sizes the 10B is not going to suddenly look significantly more feminine.

When shoe designers have women in mind, they employ a number of elements to achieve the overall goal of making the feet look smaller, and this is beyond the physical size of the feet.  The soles are thin and glued instead of sewn.  Toe boxes, arches, and shafts (in case of boots) are contoured closely to the organic shape of the feet.  And of course, high heels angle the feet to reduce the overall “footprint” so they look smaller.  

On the other hand, when shoe designers have men in mind, they employ elements to make the feet look bigger than the physical size of the feet, while still being comfortable and not letting them flop around.  Thick clunky soles with multiple rows of sewn welts might be used to increase the footprint.  Lines are squared off to draw more of a “box” around an otherwise more slender anatomical part.  Generous use of thick materials beef things up too.  

I think the whole “boxy = masculine” and “form fitting = feminine” rule gets applied to other parts of clothing and fashion, but I think it has allowed men to get lazy and lose taste for aesthetics.  A properly tailored suit should flatter a man’s physical features, and often that is not a box.  Same with shoes.  

And along those lines, I would argue that the return of more form fitting clothes for men, beyond tailored suits now and into shirts, jeans, and trousers, are perfect outfit pairings with form fitting shoes in the heels department.  Men spend all that effort to look good from neck to ankle, only to finish the look with a couple of flappy boxes on their feet!  

Edited by p1ng74
Typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gudulitooo said:

There is also a difference between the shoes they sell to men and women : They are designed to fit the outfits sold for men and women.

See

https://www.pinterest.fr/pin/417075615489021138/

For the variety of existing man outfits.

On 12/31/2018 at 9:24 PM, luvmaryjanes said:

My wife and I went to Macy's to buy that stuff she smears on her face. I go over to the shoe dept. I'm always glad to see they they have some classics there with nice points and a spike heel that isn't too far back and not tapered. They are made by Nine West and usually come in 3" and 4". heights. Give me a classic any day. They have a beautiful pair in chrome silver but they were size 11, darn it. No way I would get away with trying to buy them there. I've been told internet only. Got a pair in silver on the way now!

I buy shoes and boots from Macy's. I always try them on and the sales clerks, both men and women, know that I wear heels. They offer me some clearance styles to try on. I bought a lot of heels, both shoes and boots over the years from Macy's. It's always a pleasant shoe shopping experience, there.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

I have shopped at Macy's for years but never bought any shoes there.  They do have a nice selection of shoe sizes form 10 and down, but the larger sizes can be difficult to find.  On line the election of larger sizes is mo bettah, but I prefer to buy in person and not have to worry about returns etc.  And there is a very large disparity between Macy's stores as well, probably based on marketing / sales demographics.  Some stores have a decent selection, others have almost nothing is the way of shoes.  

For me I prefer Nordstrom and Marmi for "nicer" shoes in larger sizes, Payless for the less expensive stuff and to experience buying shoes in a store rather than on line.  

Have fun shopping...   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

In Paris downtown, you find a few retail shops carrying large size, in small streets near selected places.

The rest of France has never seen any shoes bigger than size 41 (or 42 for the ones running small) in a store for women, and especially no malls. Well maybe except one or two Newlooks a few years ago.

I have discovered a Deichmann opened not far, only to find that their size 42+ are only available online. More room for the most sold shoes in the racks.

Edited by Gudulitooo

I have bought a good number of boots from Macy's but not in over a year.   They are rather good at stocking 10 and 11 size.  The biggest shoe department I have ever seen is at Macy's  NYC flagship store.  There's a six floor DSW right down the street from there also. 

On 1/2/2019 at 10:02 AM, SF said:

I have shopped at Macy's for years but never bought any shoes there.  They do have a nice selection of shoe sizes form 10 and down, but the larger sizes can be difficult to find.  On line the election of larger sizes is mo bettah, but I prefer to buy in person and not have to worry about returns etc.  And there is a very large disparity between Macy's stores as well, probably based on marketing / sales demographics.  Some stores have a decent selection, others have almost nothing is the way of shoes.  

For me I prefer Nordstrom and Marmi for "nicer" shoes in larger sizes, Payless for the less expensive stuff and to experience buying shoes in a store rather than on line.  

Have fun shopping...   sf

SF,

At my Macy's they carry a lot of size 11's and an occasional 12. If they don't have a style, I like in my size 11, the sales clerk will order them, always with free shipping. If you order online you will pay for shipping, unless you go over a certain figure. As far as Nordstrom Rack goes, we have a much smaller one nearby. I've never found any styles that I liked, because their inventory of size 11 and above is very limited. However, I found the total opposite at the Nordstrom Rack at the Mall of America, in Minneapolis. 100's of styles in size 11 and up. A virtual shoe lovers paradise. I've never heard of Marmi, must be a west coast store. Most off the Payless have closed in my area. Nearest store is 20 miles away. I shop there rarely.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

On 1/1/2019 at 11:17 PM, p1ng74 said:

In my ideal world there would be heels offered in men’s shoe departments as well, but I suppose my dream that this would magically advance acceptance of heels might be lofty.  My family brought up my “women’s shoes” again tonight and I asked again what made them women’s shoes.  My wife replied with, “you bought them in the women’s section.”  I replied, “is that all?” which I think sufficiently minimizes that point, because she then moved on to a second argument, which was “they are shoes that women like to wear.”  Also a weak argument, because women like to wear tennis shoes, loafers, and cowboy boots, but does that make them exclusively women’s shoes?  

My wife uses that argument also, and it's about 80% of her case in support of why she doesn't like what I wear. If I have the need to buy something androgynous, like a pair of flat loafers or jeans, I just make sure I obliterate the tags before she sees them, then it's no problem. A bit frustrating, because there is absolutely nothing to be gained by arguing or logic. It just is. Luckily, I must be an OK guy otherwise.

1 hour ago, mlroseplant said:

My wife uses that argument also, and it's about 80% of her case in support of why she doesn't like what I wear. If I have the need to buy something androgynous, like a pair of flat loafers or jeans, I just make sure I obliterate the tags before she sees them, then it's no problem. A bit frustrating, because there is absolutely nothing to be gained by arguing or logic. It just is. Luckily, I must be an OK guy otherwise.

If the item is androgynous, my wife does not have a problem with me buying it regardless of the tag.  She is the one who actually bought me women’s jeans as an alternative to ill fitting low rise men’s jeans.  The problem is more that she does not think of a Chelsea boot with 3” heel as androgynous.  But she likes my cowboy boots with 3” heel, so I have circled back and am going to build on this more slowly.