Maybe buy myself a dress?

swedeheeler

Been eyening on a whole dress, during my browsing at aliexpress I found some interesting, https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cVhab8e5 but replace the neck collar with a hood instead and add a pair inch for the floorsweeping effect when wearing heels.

What do ya think?

Edited by swedeheeler

swedeheeler,

Several of the members like dresses, just look at posts by JeffB, nzfreestyler, Cali, or myself. I looked at the aliexpress link. My belief you would be paying too much as well as buying from the environmental disaster that is China. You could find better dresses in thrift stores in Sweden. You do have them there, right? You'll spend far less and keep your money in your own country. I hope you give it some thought. HinH

HinH: Much of our thrift store clothes comes from china or other eastern countries. I do not have the balls to enter a store for similar clothes, as well my biggest concern is the sizing. I'm pretty tall even w/o heels as we speaking the length 6'4". The best would be a tailored dress that fits a straight figure is my toughts. Lemme hear yours :)

for my 10 cents worth... You have absolutely got to try a dress on - sizing varies a lot, and the the waist will be the issue more than anything else !

And as for length if you are taller than an average woman then you will struggle to get a long length dress - so you would be far better to go for a knee length as that is the most flattering hemline on ANY legs.

(oh and don't forget your waist measurement is 2-3 inches above your tummy button!)

• Like 1

For someone of your height (you’re two inches taller than me), give Long Tall Sally a try. You might find something there that will suit you. JCPenney also offers tall sizes. Wearing dresses is highly exhilarating and most enjoyable and is an amazing experience.

• Like 1

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

swedeheeler,

Looks like you have a starting point. Try the Long Tall Sally site and check if they have a sizing guide with instructions. Another tool would be to search the net for "how to measure to fit a woman's dress in English or Swedish. As nzfreestyler says , you have to try one on. Just guessing from a size chart could be off the mark. We don't know your weight. If you have a bit of a belly then consider wearing a waist cincher. For example, I am 5' 8.5" or 174 cm tall and weigh 195 pounds or 89 kilos and take a size 14-16 US consistently. I don't know what the equivalent would be there. Once you know what your size is then it gets a whole lot easier. How do you think all those men going to Halloween parties got theirs? They had to learn their size and buy it somewhere. No better place than in-person at a store. You don't need balls. You already have those anatomically speaking. You need confidence to go to the store and tell the staff exactly what you are looking for. They are there to sell merchandise and you re their customer. Never forget that. FIRST LEARN WHAT YOUR SIZE SHOULD BE. Then go to a store and start looking. I hope this helps you. HinH

• Like 1

HappyinHeels is quite right about the importance of taking measurements and determining your dress size. I'm 6 foot 2 and 185 pounds (down from 243 on May 1, 2017) and wear a size 12. Bear in mind that not every item in a particular size will fit the same way, depending on style, cut and fabric, so be cautious about what you choose to purchase.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

You might be better to go for separates? I think your waist might be the challenge as they go up in 1 to 2 inch steps per size (8 -> 10, 10->12 etc) but I think you will be getting into very large sizes and won't have the choices of dresses readily available. I have laid a couple of my dresses flat and measured the waist vs my waist and there is also a few inches of slack there...so you don't want it tight - unless the dress is off shoulder/bodice obviously.

I am a measly 27.5 on my waist - which I think is a US 8 - but I wear Australian 10/12 normally - just goes to show the sizes vary between country of origin as well so labels saying size 12 or 14 or whatever could be up or down by at least a size.

I don't need a corset etc which is why I like dresses cause they are so simple - but perhaps a corset would knock a bit off your waist measurement?

Or I have just had a brainwave.... you could opt for an empire line style dress - that way your waist measurement is less critical since the dress is only fitted right underbust and flares therafter ? Typically though I think these are knee length dresses (or shorter) but they are a very popular style as they disguise body conscious issues, such as big bottom/big thighs/tummy etc... and women choose this style for these reasons.... however they are much looser around the middle ! I have a good handful of empire line dresses.

You could also buy a midi skirt/top separately - this is not an uncommon thing as getting a dress to suit your measurements is not an exact science - which is why so many women don't wear dresses either ! This way you could get the skirt length you're after and have any top you want. I would suggest big flared midi and a fitted top so you have that flowing silhouette?

And if you do find one brand etc that fist then even if you don't buy it make a note of the brand and look around for more styles that you do like.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2018 at 7:45 AM, HappyinHeels said:

swedeheeler,

Several of the members like dresses, just look at posts by JeffB, nzfreestyler, Cali, or myself. I looked at the aliexpress link. My belief you would be paying too much as well as buying from the environmental disaster that is China. You could find better dresses in thrift stores in Sweden. You do have them there, right? You'll spend far less and keep your money in your own country. I hope you give it some thought. HinH

I not into dresses as much as HinH suggests. I have only one dress plus the red one from Halloween that my friend gave me (her Ex gave it to her and she didn't want  back). I have only worn two dress out, both to Halloween events - 40 years apart. 

swedeheeler, my question also is how much use will you get out of it for the price?

• 1 year later...