Outings

Peeptoe

I started wearing pink t-shirts to work (construction) in 2013. I remember the time frame because it was the start of construction work being available again after the Great Recession. I didn't wear pink shirts every day, but at least one day a week. These range(d) from pastel pink to fushia. I personally think fushia ought to be acceptable as a third high-viz color, bright orange and lime-green being the officially OSHA recognized two. 

At any rate, there were a couple people at work who gave me some grief about wearing pink shirts, and one of them was pretty serious about it! I think he seriously believed there was something seriously wrong with me. Today, 5 years later, no one mentions it...EVER. 

• Like 1

Many of my shirts (dress and casual) are bright colors, pink (eh - coral), yellow, orange, blue etc...  Even have some pants in different colors, thats me and I like it.  Have people noticed, you betcha, if they comment, I smile and say yep this is my (name the color) shirt.  No pink high heels tho.....  

Yes Peeptoe, folks do notice but most could care less.  At least that has been my experience.  Have fun...  sf

IMG_7881.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

2 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I started wearing pink t-shirts to work (construction) in 2013. I remember the time frame because it was the start of construction work being available again after the Great Recession. I didn't wear pink shirts every day, but at least one day a week. These range(d) from pastel pink to fushia. I personally think fushia ought to be acceptable as a third high-viz color, bright orange and lime-green being the officially OSHA recognized two. 

At any rate, there were a couple people at work who gave me some grief about wearing pink shirts, and one of them was pretty serious about it! I think he seriously believed there was something seriously wrong with me. Today, 5 years later, no one mentions it...EVER. 

When I was a child the hot pink shirt was my favorite.  I have always worn pink and never had any real issue with it.  But I guess if someone wanted to think there was something wrong with me there was always something more extraordinary than wearing pink to call me out on lol.  

My grandmother, born 1904, was aghast at the idea of men wearing pink shirts but she is the only person I have ever actually met who thought that way. I have worn pink shirts for decades without even giving the matter any thought, much less having it called to my attention.

In cycling there is certainly nothing effeminate about pink. That’s the colour of the winners jersey in the Giro d’Italia 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Been a while but here again. I think some may have not fully understood my original post.  I can distinctly remember walking up to a rack to browse some items where another woman was already looking. When I stepped beside her she looked down at my shoes and immediately walked away. That incident probably influenced the overall negativity in my post. 

The main point is that people do notice. When you're new and more hyper aware and nervous about what it is you're wearing (heels in public) you are going to notice them because in a way you are kind of looking for acceptance. At some point you begin to not notice(still not there) and focusing more on what you're doing and less about the people around you. And then it can be an enjoyable thing where you can easily say that nobody notices. Just don't delude yourself the first time out and think nobody's going to notice. They will. Nobody's really going to care enough to say anything negative. It's up to you to not notice them and make it a point to ignore them. Then you can focus on yourself and what you're doing and enjoy yourself. 

It's really about how you let the opinions of others dictate your choices. If you've always been an outgoing individual it's probably going to be a lot easier than if you've always been a more timid self aware type. I think those here that can tune out the world and walk to the beat of their own drum are amazing people and I applaud you. 

• Like 2

You’re overthinking it. Nobody notices, or very few, unless you deliberately dress to show off...like wearing scarlet pumps with five inch heels and shorts 

Even then I’ll bet you’d be surprised by the percentage of people who still wouldn’t notice if a poll were taken and they were asked

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Peeptoe said:

Been a while but here again. I think some may have not fully understood my original post.  I can distinctly remember walking up to a rack to browse some items where another woman was already looking. When I stepped beside her she looked down at my shoes and immediately walked away. That incident probably influenced the overall negativity in my post. 

The main point is that people do notice. When you're new and more hyper aware and nervous about what it is you're wearing (heels in public) you are going to notice them because in a way you are kind of looking for acceptance. At some point you begin to not notice(still not there) and focusing more on what you're doing and less about the people around you. And then it can be an enjoyable thing where you can easily say that nobody notices. Just don't delude yourself the first time out and think nobody's going to notice. They will. Nobody's really going to care enough to say anything negative. It's up to you to not notice them and make it a point to ignore them. Then you can focus on yourself and what you're doing and enjoy yourself. 

It's really about how you let the opinions of others dictate your choices. If you've always been an outgoing individual it's probably going to be a lot easier than if you've always been a more timid self aware type. I think those here that can tune out the world and walk to the beat of their own drum are amazing people and I applaud you. 

I hear what you’re saying but i believe there’s a difference between people noticing and people taking notice, I’m sure when I’m sitting in Costa with a pair of heeled knee high boots over my skinny jeans that people do actually notice what I’m wearing but apart from the odd compliment nobody really takes any notice which really goes to prove that anybody can wear anything with full freedom 

• Like 1

In my experience people are incredibly unobservant, going about in their own bubble. I wear (flat) knee boots over skinny jeans and few people notice - they may see, but they do not observe as Sherlock Holmes used to say. It doesn’t register 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

In my experience people are incredibly unobservant, going about in their own bubble. I wear (flat) knee boots over skinny jeans and few people notice - they may see, but they do not observe as Sherlock Holmes used to say. It doesn’t register 

My experience has unfortunately been different than yours which is funny because we aren't really geographically that far apart 

5 hours ago, Peeptoe said:

The main point is that people do notice. When you're new and more hyper aware and nervous about what it is you're wearing (heels in public) you are going to notice them because in a way you are kind of looking for acceptance. At some point you begin to not notice(still not there) and focusing more on what you're doing and less about the people around you. And then it can be an enjoyable thing where you can easily say that nobody notices.

I'm in the group that is almost always in heels when I not doing something athletic. And I have worn heels and shorts for the pass few months (hey, it's summer).  I have no illusion that people don't notice. I know they notice. I went to physical therapy the other day after a pedicure, so I drove there with my shoes off to let my nails dry. I get there late after a traffic mess, so I had no time to put on my heels. First thing my pt person asked was "where are your heels?" And when you walk into a shoe store (such as Steve Madden) and the workers come over to talk with you about heels, the women customers take notice.  But I can walk thru a Whole Foods in stilettos and very few people, if any, will notice. Too absorbed in their bubble (or phones) to observer the world around them.

Edited by Cali

6 hours ago, Peeptoe said:

My experience has unfortunately been different than yours which is funny because we aren't really geographically that far apart 

I’m not so sure we’re quite so geographically close, or at least not by my reckoning  - you appear to be living in Indiana and I am an Australian living in England.  But as I say, in my experience people don’t seem to notice much of what goes on around them. 

Edited by Shyheels

2 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I’m not so sure we’re quite so geographically close, or at least not by my reckoning  - you appear to be living in Indiana and I am an Australian living in England.  But as I say, in my experience people don’t seem to notice much of what goes on around them. 

My apologies.  I confused you with another member of the forum. 

Seems like this topic has been covered before. People have five senses generally. What really matters is how they use them specifically. Chances are many people's eyes will scan what you are wearing but that person has to focus on it and you have to witness it for there to be any measurable reaction. Some of us have reached an age where we simply don't give a damn about naysayers, real or imagined. One reaches a point where, having already established a proven track record, perhaps having ditched the alarm clock for retirement, or simply having been able to rise above all the rotating crap the naysayers may fling one's way that none of it matters. The bottom line is this: Regardless of what one puts on one's feet or any other manner of dress it is imperative that said human being exude the confidence necessary for all future success. Such success can elude those who lack the confidence to even take the first step toward it. Love and trust yourself and it becomes much easier to be loved by others. HappyinHeels

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dagino said:

That annoys me. I wear heels and nobody notices.

Do you wear short shorts and heels or do you cover them with long pants? Do they make noise?

Have you tried attaching flashing lights and a siren?  :giggle:

Edited by Cali
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Cali said:

Do you wear short shorts and heels or do you cover them with long pants? Do they make noise?

Have you tried attaching flashing lights and a siren?  :giggle:

Mostly I wear slim jeans to the ankles and 3 "block heels in public.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh yes, this subject has probably been beaten to death, or so we thought, but perhaps it wasn't meant to die. I know it continues to be a curiosity in my life, and has resurfaced yet again this summer. It is not a question of whether people notice, but what percentage notice enough for it to really register what they've just seen. I would guess that the percentage is low, but when you're walking in public, it doesn't take a very high percentage to feel like you're in the spotlight.

When I first started heeling, some 7+ years ago, my formula was fairly straightforward--conservative, un-flashy clogs or boots, usually black, and boot cut jeans hemmed 1/2" off the floor. I was noticed by a certain percentage of people. Part of my reasoning was to cover the heels, but part of it was that it seemed to be a stylish look, or at least it was at one time. A few years later, I started wearing slimmer cut (not quite "skinny," but close) jeans with my heels, and the heels became higher, thinner, and more open. This change didn't seem to affect the percentage of people who noticed, or at least who reacted visibly. Fast forward another couple years, and I began wearing shorts with heels. With this combo, the percentage of people who reacted went up significantly, and continues to be high to this day. In fact, I've had the most negative reaction in the past month that I've had for some time. It's kind of a bummer.

I think people in general are shocked by the shorts more than the heels, and that's partially due to the fact that men's shorts have gotten ridiculous sometime in the last 20 years. Certainly the shorts with the heels doubles the attention. With more attention, there's bound to be more negative reaction. To be fair, shorts with heels is going to attract attention no matter what, unless you're at a place where many people are wearing such clothes. I would be willing to venture that if I were a woman, and wore what I normally wear into the supermarket, that there would be at least as many eyes on me (for different reasons) as there are right now.

It would be nice to just be left the hell alone, but that ain't gonna happen, so I might as well wear what I like. If I wanted to just wear heels of any sort and attract the least amount of attention, I'd wear long pants with block heeled boots all the time. People seem to be remarkably cool with that on a guy, at least around here.

• Like 4

mlroseplant,

They were cool with it and nobody was, as far as you could discern, annoyed. I'm not sure if some are some annoyed by those old enough to not really care or just annoyed by someone enjoying something they are not. HinH

• 1 month later...