Need some advice

jeremy1986

Hiya all. 

So, I have been yearning to buy a new pair or 2 for a long time (since Jan probably...)  and although I haven't heeled for ages, I do want to get back to it.

Am debating between 2 pairs: a pair of heeled sandals with an ankle strap and rear zip or a pair of OTK high heeled boots. One the one hand the boots are a size 9 (UK), so that's a safer bet (sandals are a 8 UK, though am pretty sure these will fit too ) , on the other hand, OTK are somewhat of a pain to get on and off... and heels are much more practical that way … 
They are the same price  - £20, and possibly 25% off with a promo code.

I currently have 1 pair of flat OTK boots and have worn them only a handful of times. But the heeled ones will be much more fun to wear ;-) 

Pictures:

9126554-1-lightgrey?$XXL$&wid=513&fit=co 8213666-2?$XXL$&wid=513&fit=constrain

Any comments, suggestions? 

25 minutes ago, jeremy1986 said:

Hiya all. 

So, I have been yearning to buy a new pair or 2 for a long time (since Jan probably...)  and although I haven't heeled for ages, I do want to get back to it.

Am debating between 2 pairs: a pair of heeled sandals with an ankle strap and rear zip or a pair of OTK high heeled boots. One the one hand the boots are a size 9 (UK), so that's a safer bet (sandals are a 8 UK, though am pretty sure these will fit too ) , on the other hand, OTK are somewhat of a pain to get on and off... and heels are much more practical that way … 

I currently have 1 pair of flat OTK boots and have worn them only a handful of times. But the heeled ones will be much more fun to wear ;-) 

Pictures:

I would go with the stiletto boots now then treat yourself in the summer to sandals, You will certainly have fun in those stiletto boots and well worth the little extra trouble getting on :)

• Like 2

I'd go for the boots. Beware that some footwear advertised as UK9 is actually EU42 which means UK8. As always, the only proof is trying them on.

Never mind high heels, I recently tried to buy a pair of ordinary Sanita unisex clogs. I've bought them before and I need EU43. The supplier (Spartoo) listed them as UK9. Guess what, I got EU42. Complained, they said they'd got it wrong, gave them another chance. Still EU42. Ordered from elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CHRISPAP said:
it all depends on how and where you want to wear them, inside or outside in  public ?

Inside only at this stage. 

And probably beneath trousers too (hence the on/off nuisance). Or possibly above skinny jeans or leggings.

16 minutes ago, dww said:

I would go for a nice pair of ankle boots, with a decent heel you will get more use out of them, buy the sandals in the summer.

Thanks. No ankle boots on the menu right now. Just the one I mentioned above as well as some flat boots maybe (!)

2 hours ago, tarapt1060 said:

I would go with the stiletto boots now then treat yourself in the summer to sandals, You will certainly have fun in those stiletto boots and well worth the little extra trouble getting on :)

Thanks!! These boots have actually been out of stotck for a while. But the sandals seem to be going strong. So as you say, it might be safe to say that they will still be around come spring!

2 hours ago, at9 said:

I'd go for the boots. Beware that some footwear advertised as UK9 is actually EU42 which means UK8. As always, the only proof is trying them on

Good point. A size 8 actually fits me nicely depending on the style and brand. So this should hopefully be good if even a little bigger than that. 

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

I'd go for the boots as well. More for your money! ;-)

Good thinking!!!!

Edited by jeremy1986
  • Like 1

All of my tall boots are pull-ons and the suede OTK ones come off as quickly as any other shoe or boot. My knee boots are of much stiffer leather and are a more snug fit and require a bit more finagling, but nothing drastic and I notice that with a lot of regular wear they are becoming easier too. 

• Like 3

I doubt it. Not many men wear tall boots. I expect they are sized to sell. Mine fit appropriately snugly around my (skinny) calves and as I said, no problems whatever in removing them.

Edited by Shyheels

You are lucky then. But I find high heel boots without a zipper hard to put on, to the point that I wont waste my time trying them on. I have high arches and large calves so boots are only viable when they have full zippers. Tried on a pair this noon, black faux suede with 4.5 inch heels. I could get them but I'm holding out for leather.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Cali said:

You are lucky then. But I find high heel boots without a zipper hard to put on, to the point that I wont waste my time trying them on. I have high arches and large calves so boots are only viable when they have full zippers. Tried on a pair this noon, black faux suede with 4.5 inch heels. I could get them but I'm holding out for leather.

I struggle with boots without zips too, also high arches but i still have a couple of pairs of pull ons and i just persevere, sometimes it can take in excess of 10 minuets to get on and 2 people to get off, if the truth be told i quite enjoy the challenge 

6 hours ago, tarapt1060 said:

7 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

Hiya all. 

Pictures:

Definitely the boots, personally i don’t wear many heeled shoes, hence my title, I’d definitely wear those boots over skinny jeans and out in public, in fact I’d love to show them off on my weekend coffee trips to Costa 

• Like 3

To remove my suede Stuart Weitzman pull on boots, the leather is soft enough that I just roll the shaft halfway down, and then they pull off just like my knee high boots.  Not sure if that is the way it is supposed to be done?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maninboots said:

Definitely the boots, personally i don’t wear many heeled shoes, hence my title, I’d definitely wear those boots over skinny jeans and out in public, in fact I’d love to show them off on my weekend coffee trips to Costa 

Thanks all.  I guess OTK boots are an all-forum faveroute....! 

Not even one vote for the heels ;-)

Thanks all for your input!!

But your logic makes sense!!

Edited by jeremy1986
  • Like 4

Which pair do you like the best?  I obviously am partial to the boots.  The boots have the classic design I love.  Are you ordering these items online, or will you have a chance to try them on?  If ordering online, can you return them?  There are a few factors to consider here.  Needless to say, neither pair is any good if they don't fit/or you cant get the boots on and off.  Another big consideration is which pair will the wife be most tolerant of? 

• Like 2

jeremy1986 , you know how I feel about boots ,and for  indoor use I would go with the sandals .  Just out of curiosity , why should our opinions matter ? You are the one who is planning to wear one or the other . Go with what YOU like best ! Best of luck with your decision .

Respectfully , MIP 

• Like 1

j-1986,

The crowd above me all make good points. Will you actually the boots outside??  We are only in early December which means cool weather will be around for a long while yet in the U.K. It may make sense to bu the boots now and sandals in summer. Beware of buying anything you didn't try on in-person. At9 seemed to make that point. I haven't, with the sole exception of a pair made for me by ShoesUSA, bought any shoes without trying on in-person since 2011. I haven't returned any shoes since 2011 either. Think about how your purchase will satisfy your needs. If you can visualise what you will be wearing with the boots then the purchase is easy. I believe this is what the ladies do. Take stock of how you live, where you live, and see how this prospective purchase fits your life. It's sort of a more philosophical way to look at it. This should result in fewer overall purchases but increased enjoyment. I believe if more Americans did this their homes would not be as cluttered with stuff as they are now. Hopefully homes in Britain are less cluttered. You have to start with something and this may be a good item to consider since I am 100% sure the number of heels you have will only noticeably increase. You may as well start making thoughtful buying decisions now to avoid having to downsize in the not-too-distant future. Just a piece of advice from the western side of the Atlantic. :fine: HappyinHeels

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pebblesf said:

Which pair do you like the best?  I obviously am partial to the boots.  The boots have the classic design I love.  Are you ordering these items online, or will you have a chance to try them on?  If ordering online, can you return them?  There are a few factors to consider here.  Needless to say, neither pair is any good if they don't fit/or you cant get the boots on and off.  Another big consideration is which pair will the wife be most tolerant of? 

Hey Pebbles - thanks. Boots have always been my thing, but my taste has widened :-) 

I agree- the boots have that classic look and classic stiletto heel, just with the 'twist' of being OTK.
I am ordering online - have only bought in store a couple of times with my wife, but can return them if size is an issue.  I think that's an extra push for the boots over the sandals  - being a size larger, so the fit will be good. 

Your final comment was very much on point, and I can see you have read my material here before ;-)
I told her about my acquisition, The flat boots (Link:  http://www.asos.com/prd/8039772 )   which she liked when I showed them to her previously, but she hasn't really seen the full pic of the OTK boots. She seemed happy and supportive - or at the very least, trying to be encouraging - which is good of course. I am assuming she's say something like WOW when she actually sees the heels on them bad boots!  I have told her I bought them for US both, and she might actually wear the flat ones. I want to delicately start heeling again, at least at home, after having gone through major issues at home after the last few months, and although this might initially bring a few tense moments, I think it might be something I want to say that this is me and this is what I want. I don't intent on making big issues  or shows out of it... as  @Shyheels often says, just wear them and go about business as usual. 

7 hours ago, maninpumps said:

jeremy1986 , you know how I feel about boots ,and for  indoor use I would go with the sandals .  Just out of curiosity , why should our opinions matter ? You are the one who is planning to wear one or the other . Go with what YOU like best ! Best of luck with your decision .

Respectfully , MIP 

Good question. I wasn't really asking for comments about this or that pair being better or nicer, but rather considerations that I hadn't thought of, for each side. And indeed some of these considerations did come up, and i appreciate the input. 
Thanks!! 

5 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

j-1986,

The crowd above me all make good points. Will you actually the boots outside??  We are only in early December which means cool weather will be around for a long while yet in the U.K. It may make sense to bu the boots now and sandals in summer. Beware of buying anything you didn't try on in-person. At9 seemed to make that point. I haven't, with the sole exception of a pair made for me by ShoesUSA, bought any shoes without trying on in-person since 2011. I haven't returned any shoes since 2011 either. Think about how your purchase will satisfy your needs. If you can visualise what you will be wearing with the boots then the purchase is easy. I believe this is what the ladies do. Take stock of how you live, where you live, and see how this prospective purchase fits your life. It's sort of a more philosophical way to look at it. This should result in fewer overall purchases but increased enjoyment. I believe if more Americans did this their homes would not be as cluttered with stuff as they are now. Hopefully homes in Britain are less cluttered. You have to start with something and this may be a good item to consider since I am 100% sure the number of heels you have will only noticeably increase. You may as well start making thoughtful buying decisions now to avoid having to downsize in the not-too-distant future. Just a piece of advice from the western side of the Atlantic. :fine: HappyinHeels

Thanks! Some good points here too. I have 20+ pairs of heels, and I have considered selling a few that don't fit perfectly, and that I am not mad about (actually posted a few for sale here a few months ago, but no one took the bait!). I only buy on sale, unless there is something I really like (like those CORA stiletto boots I bought last winter, see my albums). I don't really dress the part, and would just wear the heels with whatever I am wearing  - obviously not aiming to look ridiculous... but just saying I don't really buy into the whole look/outfit as some here do, even though I am sure the look as a whole would be better looking. And seen as i'm not ready to heel outside, that side of things doesn't really matter right now. 

SO, BOTTOM LINE DECISION: 

I bought these flat boots (ASOS CAPITAL):  http://www.asos.com/prd/8039772

and these OTK stiletto boots (ASOS KENDRA):  http://www.asos.com/prd/8213666 

The heeled sandals will need to wait for me till next time, as these boots did too (they are out of stock again!)

Thanks all for your input! 

Looking forward to getting them and sharing pics! 

Edited by jeremy1986

1 hour ago, jeremy1986 said:

Hey Pebbles - thanks. Boots have always been my thing, but my taste has widened :-) 

I agree- the boots have that classic look and classic stiletto heel, just with the 'twist' of being OTK.
I am ordering online - have only bought in store a couple of times with my wife, but can return them if size is an issue.  I think that's an extra push for the boots over the sandals  - being a size larger, so the fit will be good. 

Your final comment was very much on point, and I can see you have read my material here before ;-)
I told her about my acquisition, The flat boots (Link:  http://www.asos.com/prd/8039772 )   which she liked when I showed them to her previously, but she hasn't really seen the full pic of the OTK boots. She seemed happy and supportive - or at the very least, trying to be encouraging - which is good of course. I am assuming she's say something like WOW when she actually sees the heels on them bad boots!  I have told her I bought them for US both, and she might actually wear the flat ones. I want to delicately start heeling again, at least at home, after having gone through major issues at home after the last few months, and although this might initially bring a few tense moments, I think it might be something I want to say that this is me and this is what I want. I don't intent on making big issues  or shows out of it... as  @Shyheels often says, just wear them and go about business as usual. 

Good question. I wasn't really asking for comments about this or that pair being better or nicer, but rather considerations that I hadn't thought of, for each side. And indeed some of these considerations did come up, and i appreciate the input. 
Thanks!! 

Thanks! Some good points here too. I have 20+ pairs of heels, and I have considered selling a few that don't fit perfectly, and that I am not mad about (actually posted a few for sale here a few months ago, but no one took the bait!). I only buy on sale, unless there is something I really like (like those CORA stiletto boots I bought last winter, see my albums). I don't really dress the part, and would just wear the heels with whatever I am wearing  - obviously not aiming to look ridiculous... but just saying I don't really buy into the whole look/outfit as some here do, even though I am sure the look as a whole would be better looking. And seen as i'm not ready to heel outside, that side of things doesn't really matter right now. 

SO, BOTTOM LINE DECISION: 

I bought these flat boots (ASOS CAPITAL):  http://www.asos.com/prd/8039772

and these OTK stiletto boots (ASOS KENDRA):  http://www.asos.com/prd/8213666 

The heeled sandals will need to wait for me till next time, as these boots did too (they are out of stock again!)

Thanks all for your input! 

Looking forward to getting them and sharing pics! 

I think we’re fairly similar minded, i don’t dress in any way feminine at all, i do wear boots of all lengths and heels of all heights over my jeans aswell and styled correctly you can go out like that in public and blend in, i know you’ve seen some of my posts and pictures of how i dress and go out, so I’d get those otk boots and wear them out and trust me you’ll just blend in with the crowd and nobody will really take any notice, enjoy mate 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree, boots seem a lot more flexible than pumps or heeled sandals when it comes to pairing with outfits.  That is one reason I like them so much.  I go on two week trips wearing the same pair of boots, and they comfortable all day, and look naturally practical in casual outfits and situations.  Polish them up and they look dressy.  

Boots like the flat ones you got are kind of becoming popular among young urban men - maybe not knee high, but if you wear them under pants it is the same look.  Good choice, and I think you will enjoy wearing them.  

• Thanks 1