Shopping in M&S

maninboots

1 hour ago, dww said:

They may be protected, but I know of a few places in sunny Cornwall where they are shot along with grey squirrels and cats. Yep I have had a pastie knicked in St Ives more than once, saw a guy once knock one to the floor and stamp on it very close to the life boat slip, a seagull that is not a pastie, most folks gave him a clap.

Oh, yes, I know people shoot them when they can get away with it - but there are plenty of jobsworths who would gleefully bright to bear the full weight of the law on such miscreants.  

I think most people turn a blind eye, I have seen on the telly where they shoot gulls eggs, to get rid of them, anyway back to heels I have ordered myself a pair of the said heels from marks and spencer and look forward to wearing them. You have never seen when you remove the filter from a milking machine and chuck it in the corner of the barn and 200 cats appear from nowear.

life is not a rehearsal

@dww, you're one of those lucky fellows who takes an ordinary women's size. At UK9/EU43 my choice is limited. Those with bigger feet have it worse still.

@Shyheels, at least squirrel is edible. It's served in a few restaurants. AFAIK, seagull is disgusting.

6 hours ago, at9 said:

@dww, you're one of those lucky fellows who takes an ordinary women's size. At UK9/EU43 my choice is limited. Those with bigger feet have it worse still.

@Shyheels, at least squirrel is edible. It's served in a few restaurants. AFAIK, seagull is disgusting.

I’m only a uk size 5/6 myself depending on style and manufacturers, so i don’t really have any problems finding my size on the shelf 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/3/2018 at 3:00 PM, Shyheels said:

Oh, yes, I know people shoot them when they can get away with it - but there are plenty of jobsworths who would gleefully bright to bear the full weight of the law on such miscreants.  

From a recent press report:   

A thug who killed a seagull by smashing it into a wall when it stole his chips on a trip to the seaside has been ordered to pay £750.

John Llewellyn Jones, 65, was on a day trip to Weston-Super-Mare when the bird knocked the bag of chips from his hands, so he grabbed it by the leg and battered the creature until it was left with 'its eyes twitching' and on the brink of death.

In the UK, allegations of animal cruelty are usually investigated and prosecuted by the RSPCA, generally with more vigour that would be employed if a human was the victim.   In this case, the killing was carried out in full view of several other people (including children) and was considered particularly cruel.   In this case, Jones was sentenced to a 12-week curfew and ordered to pay £750 in costs as well as an £85 victim surcharge - which went into a general fund for other victims. 

9 hours ago, Shyheels said:

A love the £85 victim surcharge. Think of all the chips you could buy for the seagulls attending the wake. 

Yes!   I hadn't thought of the surcharge as being for the benefit of the specific victim in this action (or its brethren), but it makes sense.   

The surcharge is however a crude weapon and I'm dubious about its true application. A few years ago, my wife's car was damaged, with others, outside a guest house by a drunken idiot 'guest'.   He was taken to court and fined (as well as having an existing suspended sentence activated) but, despite the principle that claims for compensation take precedence over monetary penalties, we were awarded nothing.   So, where did his surcharge go?   Into some pot for the benefit of claimants in some other cases?