Backpack or Messenger bag?

KneeBooted

So this question kind of revolves around heeling, but I wanted to make it a general inquiry as I realize people may not accessorize based on their heeling.

Nonetheless, I am curious, if you work in a place where you carry a laptop to and fro, do you use a backpack style bag, or messenger style.

I am currently using a backpack style, and when I was putting together my possible outfits for my flight tomorrow, realized that the backpack look just doesn’t go with a business/business casual outfit in my opinion. I see it as too “young” of a look, as if I’m in school or something. What are your thoughts?

ALSO, if you use a messenger bag style, do you like it and would you recommend it?

Thanks!

Good question, though as you say, very OT.

I used to have a messenger style (well, really an "over the shoulder" laptop bag) to lug around my laptop. When that one wore out, I bought a more backpack style bag, because its easier to carry, even with one strap on one shoulder - and most definitely if I need to add some extra stuff in there and have to use both straps on 2 shoulders. It doesn't both me that is more student looking. Keeps me young ;-)

When I travel and have to drag the laptop along, I use an inexpensive shoulder bag from Staples which holds the laptop, the power supply, a few accessories, and an extra pair of heels (or other stuff). The cheap bags wear out after a few years and I think I'm on my fourth one. 

I do think a shoulder bag looks more professional than a backpack but you see more and more backpacks these days. Or rather, I've been slugged by more backpacks in recent years as people getting off planes don't know how far back the packs stick out when they swing around!

Steve

Given that I have to pack cameras as well as a laptop, I more or less have to go with the backpack - a Lowepro that has a padded slot for my laptop. But even on those rare occasions when I am not carrying my cameras I still take a backpack. Probably because that's what I have. That said, I don't think it looks unprofessional, as long as you keep it understated. You see an awful lot of businessmen in the airport lounges with backpacks these days. It used to surprise me a little but now I an used to seeing it. I think most people are; we live in an increasingly informal world. 

I think most business travelers use a backpack for ergonomic reasons.  It seems ergonomics has had a surge in awareness over the last decade and accounts for most of the increase in backpacks in offices and airport lounges.  In airports, it is to the point now where a backpack over a business suit is more of the norm than the exception.  Though this might change again as laptops are getting very small and light now.  

When I was a student most kids would wear their backpack on one shoulder, which defeats the ergonomics, but when you are young it is all about form over function. Leave it to me to be the weird kid who had abandoned the backpack already by junior high, and used a messenger bag every day.  I liked the look a lot better than dragging a backpack on one shoulder.  The habit stuck - I have never carried a backpack into the office.  I still like messenger bags because it is relatively easy to find a leather one that looks good and fits well under the seat of an airplane.

I think the general style of the bag has more impact than whether it is a backpack or a messenger bag.  There are some nice leather backpacks out there with interesting hardware details that will not ruin a business outfit.  On the other hand, wearing a plastic bag with red stripes makes you look a little like you have left work and are heading for the gym.  

On the rare occasion that I travel with a backpack I use a Swiss military surplus bag.  I love buckles and there is not a single zipper to break on it.  Solid canvas and leather with a metal reinforcement beam.  They just don’t make them like they used to.  Definitely not what you would find in a school campus.  

2E030269-F2BA-48B0-9EA0-993302B43F70.thumb.jpeg.b441a613ed9c41463f0bdd15f7133683.jpeg

By now KneeBooted you are probably in the air. As you're carrying heavier items I'd say a heavy duty messenger bag would be good for you. Since I don't carry heavy things when out heeling I carry a handbag which may match my footwear just like the ladies may do. It's your call in the end as to comfort and style. HinH

• Like 1

The trouble with messenger/shoulder bags is that if you carry anything heavy in them you can really do in your back. I have a very nice, very expensive, very stylish Billingham camera bag big enough to pack a couple of cameras bodes and a few lenses. It looks great, but schlepping that around airports or long days in a city has not been good for my back at all. Now I just use it for storing things or for when I'm not going to be moving around much. A pity. It's a beautiful bag...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use both depending a however physiotherapist will advise that a bag over only one shoulder should be avoided to achieve good back care. Think it depends on the weight really, a back pack is more comfortable for anything heavier. Here in the UK you see many people heading to work with a retro style back pack like the ones in the photos, often new from designers made to that style.

My experience of courier bags is if they are made for the job (cycling) then they are made from materials that quickly wear your clothes where the bag sits. A courier bag is easier to get at your stuff though as you can slide it to the side or front of you. I suppose it depends on the weight your going to carry and if you'llbe in heels as one style might be more practical and easier to handle.

Addicted to the click

On 10/26/2018 at 7:22 PM, Shyheels said:

Thanks. I tried the same. They seem really quite nice. The prices are all over the place though

I think some of the variation depends on the condition and from what vintage era they are from.  Some sellers may have set the price high because they believe there is some collectible value.  No need to go there for a bag to wear around daily.  Almost all of them have hardly been used, so even the less expensive listings will be solid functional bags.  

So years ago when I worked for Lexus, we got these really nice backpacks that were made my OGIO. Now I have since switched, mainly because there were too many pockets and it just looked cluttered. My wife had found me a backpack that was clean and simple lines by a company called TigerNu, but the quality just seemed to be lacking. Within 6 months, the inner pockets were starting to fall apart after minimal use. That’s what has prompted this ‘quest’ for a new bag. After reading everyone’s responses, it helped me reflect on the one time I had a messenger bag with a padded shoulder strap (probably 15 years ago.) While I did enjoy the look, I can vaguely remember the pain when it had a full load.

So I was mentally prepared for another backpack, but didn’t know what I wanted. While I was in line to get a coffee at the airport waiting to fly back out to California, a UPS pilot made it a point to compliment the backpack I had with me, the TigerNu. He liked the clean look of it and that it didn’t give off a ‘busy’ vibe.

I had ruled out OGIO and Swiss gear because I couldn’t recall a ‘clean’ laptop backpack. After browsing other sites and not happy, I came across this... I am sold on the style, but not sure which color to go with? I figure black is always good, but maybe the wine is a good choice too?

I would love the input!

https://www.ogio.com/womens/soho-womens-laptop-backpack/spr4704963.html

Since when have backpacks become gender specific? I can understand the company wanting to appeal to women by having something that is lighter weight perhaps or in pink, but announce that it is for women ignores and insults half their potential market, and that's just stupid.

Nice backpack, by the way. And it won't show wine spills! LOL

Steve

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steve63130 said:

Since when have backpacks become gender specific? I can understand the company wanting to appeal to women by having something that is lighter weight perhaps or in pink, but announce that it is for women ignores and insults half their potential market, and that's just stupid.

Nice backpack, by the way. And it won't show wine spills! LOL

Steve

I laughed when I read your response because I thought the same thing! I am fairly certain that’s why I didn’t see it in the beginning, because it was listed as a woman’s backpack. Silly times we live in.

Yes, the seem to do it by colour. Naturally the backpacks in the more interesting colours and shades are “women’s” pack packs while men are left with a choice of black, plain old red, everyday blue and pine green - maybe. 

I don't always have a bag, but my go to is a 5.11 Covrt ZAP bag, fits my ipad, assorted over the counter meds, etc. Lots of pockets, and zipped spaces for little things like adapters, memory cards, my PADI nitrox card, paperwork if needed. Works great when traveling and with one hand I can keep it from moving around when I do have to physically run. 

56971-2.jpg

(formerly known as "JimC")

So I received the bag from Amazon last week, and I will say right off of the bat, I noticed it was smaller than the bag I currently use. Now I am primarily looking for the bag to be a good work/travel bag in that I can fit my laptop, cables, etc along with my big water container(32oz hydro flask), etc. in all fairness, it’s a really tight fit to get everything in there smoothly and not have it feel overstuffed.

However, I got to thinking about the reason I ordered the bag when I did. Travel. I won’t have all of my work crap in there, so let’s see how it does with a laptop, water bottle, extra pair of shoes(I always have a pair of converse wedges with me when I travel), scarf, ibuprofen, and all of the miscellaneous cables, etc. Everything fit like a charm! So needless to say I am happy with the bag thus far, but won’t really have good feedback until after this trip. I am curious to see how it holds up to flying.

I added a picture for size comparison. The new one is on the left.

04680DE7-08F8-4FA5-9F29-D6759DD23D5F.jpeg

Edited by KneeBooted
Added picture

Use the smaller bag as an opportunity to downsize slightly all the things you carry. If it will carry just what you need for work, it should be fine and you'll have a lighter load and something easier to slot into the overhead carry-on bin, or slide beneath the seat in front of you if it comes to that (something I can't manage with my camera bag) It is a nice looking bag and I think as long as it fits the important stuff easily so it is easy to pack and pack, you might be quite glad of its smaller dimensions. 

• Like 1

Don't have a laptop and never wanted one even when offered one when I was working at DHS. My phone is my portable computer when needed. If I really want to research something at length I'll use my desktop at home or a hotel lobby computer on the road.

As far as the motivation for trying to market anything at women I believe it's the simple fact that women drive 65-69% of all consumer buying in the US and Canada. That is either direct purchase or by influencing the one does the direct purchasing. It may have to do with the "happy wife happy life" idea. I suspect these high percentages may also hold true for many other nations as well. HappyinHeels 

Alas not only do I need to carry cameras but a laptop too is essential for downloading cards at the end of the day, looking over the day's images and doing quick edits. I would dearly love to travel without having to lug it everywhere...

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2018 at 9:27 PM, Shyheels said:

Use the smaller bag as an opportunity to downsize slightly all the things you carry. If it will carry just what you need for work, it should be fine and you'll have a lighter load and something easier to slot into the overhead carry-on bin, or slide beneath the seat in front of you if it comes to that (something I can't manage with my camera bag) It is a nice looking bag and I think as long as it fits the important stuff easily so it is easy to pack and pack, you might be quite glad of its smaller dimensions. 

I actually said this to my friend the other day. I told her I hadn’t been using the new backpack and she asked why. I told her it was because I had so much stuff and it didn’t all fit. Then I said that I just really need to prioritize what I carry with me as I don’t actually need all of the stuff in my backpack. Maybe this week or next I’ll put forth the effort to downsize.

• Like 1

Ditto! Mine is a shoulder bag by Kipling of Belgium. I bought it at Macy's a couple of years ago and it's still like new. It's amazing how much it can hold, and no bulging and unsightly pants pockets! I've never had anyone poke fun at the fact that I carry a purse; I wear it proudly and confidently. Other guys should try it. There are plenty of unisex bags out there and the practicality far outweighs other considerations.

Steve