First pair of heels?

p1ng74

I am always wearing 2.25" cowboy boots and I've been craving some more height.  Tonight I bought a pair of shoes which I think is more undeniably my first pair of heels.  It all happened like this:  I was at Target, and I swung by the shoe section, happy to find that it was well organized with every shoe displayed on top of the shelves with boxes underneath each display.  I have been looking for a pair of slip-ons that I could wear around the house with some heel.  It quickly came across exactly what I was looking for - closed toe pumps with a wedge heel, and it was even in black.  Looking at the sizes, they had 11, so that is what I tried first.  I slipped them on, and was a little surprised how difficult it was to stand in them.  I expected the heel to be not that big a deal, since I am in 2.25" heels all day, but I also considered that I have not worn anything but boots in years, so I may have to get used to strengthening my ankles a little bit.  Even with that consideration, these shoes were clearly too big.  I went down to 10, and wow they are perfect!  I am used to running, jumping, and doing anything in 2.25" heels and amazingly the extra lift of these wedges only made me feel even MORE light on my feet.  It almost feels like being on the balls of the feet makes it easier to turn and step, like the kind of grace that a ballet dancer would have.  I checked to see if I still had more flexibility to lift my heel, and there was plenty, so I was sold.  They are a cheap pair of Chinese made pumps, but they are comfortable enough for wearing around the house, and perhaps an appropriate introduction to the next level of heels before I spend more money on something really nice.  Target made it really easy - I walked up to the self checkout, paid, and walked out with a pair of women's shoes without thinking having to interact with a single person.  

As slip on wear around the house, I imagine I can just wear these without socks, which is how it appears most of you all wear your pumps?  On the other hand, when I am wearing them with black socks, they blend into my feet and legs amazingly well - so much so that I bet most people wouldn't even notice that I am wearing wedges.  On a hard floor, they certainly make a different sound than the thunk of my boots.  It sounds more like the pop of a woman's shoe.  Given that most people are used to my footwear making a lot of noise, I bet most people are too tone deaf to observe the change in my gait.  When I go out for dinner this week, I might be tempted to wear these wedges out... 

IMG_5172.JPG

IMG_7409.JPG

Edited by p1ng74
typo
  • Like 2

I was curious last year to see what property heels felt like so I bought a pair of 120mm stiletto knee boots. I have very strong and flexible feet and ankles from lots of cycling, and much fencing and stretching when I was younger, so I had no trouble standing or walking in them, but my calf muscles sure felt it. An hour offering those was probably the best calf muscle exercise I've ever done.  I can only imagine that women who wear 4-5" heels all day must have calf muscles like Sherpas. I was most impressed! 

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 2

The first pair I properly bought was a charity find. They were Jeffrey Campbell fakes but I eventually gave them to my girlfriend. I liked them a lot but in the end they were perfect for her rather me.

From there, I bought a pair of Pleaser Domina 2000 boots and the rest is sorta history.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I can only imagine that women who wear 4-5" heels all day must have calf muscles like Sherpas. I was most impressed! 

Us MEN who wear 4-5" heels all day have massive calf muscles as well.

After my third ankle reconstruction and decades of ankle strains, sprains, just plain pain  I determined that male shoes really didn't fit me and it had lead to these reconstructions. A few years earlier I had bought some women's water shoes for a trip to Hawaii, the men's had been sold out, however the women's size 10 fit me quit well and were better colored - win win. So I found a cheap pair of women's Nikes on DSW website and ordered them. They fit!!! You have to realize that after decades of ill fitting men's shoes, to finally find shoes that fit was crazy. I have not bought men's shoes since.

One day I gathered my nerves and walked into a Macy's with a large women's shoe department found a pair, tried them on and bought them. They were Material Girl booties with bling, small brass balls. A Macy's brand, only a had 1 1/2 inch heel.

I remember having difficulty walking in them at first, but after a week of practice no problem, and wore them to work. That first year I bought 4 more pairs, up to 3 inches. Now I mostly wear 4 + inch heels everywhere.

Enjoy your first pair...its a milestone.

PS:  I did have a pair of Shooties with 2 inch heels that I liberated from my first wife. Wore them occasionally for 15 years before they gave out.

• Like 3

The women I am thinking of, who glide all day in killer stilettos, do not have massive calf muscles, but rather calves that are slender, fit and toned - deceptively so.

I didn’t have trouble walking in the heels at all, no tottering Bambi on ice, just that my calves certainly felt it.  Like I’d just done a good hill workout. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congrats :) My first pumps were from Payless. It’s amazing how every little addition to height changes things dramatically when it comes to how you can move.

• Like 2

(formerly known as "JimC")

1 hour ago, Rockpup said:

Congrats :) My first pumps were from Payless. It’s amazing how every little addition to height changes things dramatically when it comes to how you can move.

It really is amazing.  After I discovered the pleasures of wearing a 2.25” heel, I found myself really missing the lift when I was wearing only 1.75” - a mere half inch drop. I could even feel the additional drop down to 1.63” in another pair, and felt that my  arches were more tired on those than in boots with just 1/8” more.  On the other hand, you all are switching between whole number intervals here - 3” vs 4, 5, and 6.  I immediately liked 3”.  I had a couple of cocktails, jumped, ran around, and never missed a step.  I imagine a higher quality leather shoe will be even more comfortable, and I’ll probably be on the lookout now.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Ready to walk to the office.  My feet look so much smaller going from boots to pumps.  Now I really need to find pants that fit better.  

6F3D7246-E24F-4CD4-8E64-CA6A07270E66.jpeg

I have the same issue.  I don't like how small my feet look in some of my rounded toe boots with higher heels when worn with levis....  I prefer the look of pointed toe boots in most cases, but am always open to most any style of boots....

1 hour ago, pebblesf said:

I have the same issue.  I don't like how small my feet look in some of my rounded toe boots with higher heels when worn with levis....  I prefer the look of pointed toe boots in most cases, but am always open to most any style of boots....

I actually like footwear that makes my feet look smaller.  I won’t buy or wear the wide square toes that dominate the shelves of men’s footwear.  But I like both the round and pointed looks.  Pointed seems to have a more formal long and narrow look.  Round looks more natural and relaxed.  

The only thing pointey toe shoes and boots are good for is squashing cockroaches in corners!!  Ha ha ....  sf

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

On 10/2/2018 at 2:17 AM, p1ng74 said:

I am always wearing 2.25" cowboy boots and I've been craving some more height.  Tonight I bought a pair of shoes which I think is more undeniably my first pair of heels.  It all happened like this:  I was at Target, and I swung by the shoe section, happy to find that it was well organized with every shoe displayed on top of the shelves with boxes underneath each display.  I have been looking for a pair of slip-ons that I could wear around the house with some heel.  It quickly came across exactly what I was looking for - closed toe pumps with a wedge heel, and it was even in black.  Looking at the sizes, they had 11, so that is what I tried first.  I slipped them on, and was a little surprised how difficult it was to stand in them.  I expected the heel to be not that big a deal, since I am in 2.25" heels all day, but I also considered that I have not worn anything but boots in years, so I may have to get used to strengthening my ankles a little bit.  Even with that consideration, these shoes were clearly too big.  I went down to 10, and wow they are perfect!  I am used to running, jumping, and doing anything in 2.25" heels and amazingly the extra lift of these wedges only made me feel even MORE light on my feet.  It almost feels like being on the balls of the feet makes it easier to turn and step, like the kind of grace that a ballet dancer would have.  I checked to see if I still had more flexibility to lift my heel, and there was plenty, so I was sold.  They are a cheap pair of Chinese made pumps, but they are comfortable enough for wearing around the house, and perhaps an appropriate introduction to the next level of heels before I spend more money on something really nice.  Target made it really easy - I walked up to the self checkout, paid, and walked out with a pair of women's shoes without thinking having to interact with a single person.  

As slip on wear around the house, I imagine I can just wear these without socks, which is how it appears most of you all wear your pumps?  On the other hand, when I am wearing them with black socks, they blend into my feet and legs amazingly well - so much so that I bet most people wouldn't even notice that I am wearing wedges.  On a hard floor, they certainly make a different sound than the thunk of my boots.  It sounds more like the pop of a woman's shoe.  Given that most people are used to my footwear making a lot of noise, I bet most people are too tone deaf to observe the change in my gait.  When I go out for dinner this week, I might be tempted to wear these wedges out... 

IMG_5172.JPG

IMG_7409.JPG

I Like your look without socks. That's the way I wear my pumps, except when I wear sheer hose or tights in the colder months. I like the top of my foot showing, just like the ladies wear their pumps. I like to show off my heels. Welcome to HHP

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• Thanks 1

Congratulations on your purchase.  For many years I would hesitate about that interaction with a cashier and would inquire about the return policy "if she does not like them or they don't fit" to make a statement they were NOT for me.  That was during a time before self check-out was available.  In the past few years, I began to go to Payless Shoe Source and shop in person and use Halloween or a fundraiser as the reason.   I was able to interact with a sales associate to find the proper fit for the best comfort.  That worked until one previous SA stated what are you doing here again.  That ended my fun of shopping and trying on different styles.  It was fun while it lasted.  You have a lot more styles available with a 10/11 size of foot than I do with a 12/13 size.  I hope you enjoy your new found find.  They look great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Jetheels......  You Payless experience was an anomaly - hopefully.  Never give up.....     PM me with the store location and I will go there personally to try on shoes....  ha ha....

Take care...  sf

• Like 2

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

3 hours ago, jetheelsfan said:

Congratulations on your purchase.  For many years I would hesitate about that interaction with a cashier and would inquire about the return policy "if she does not like them or they don't fit" to make a statement they were NOT for me.  That was during a time before self check-out was available.  In the past few years, I began to go to Payless Shoe Source and shop in person and use Halloween or a fundraiser as the reason.   I was able to interact with a sales associate to find the proper fit for the best comfort.  That worked until one previous SA stated what are you doing here again.  That ended my fun of shopping and trying on different styles.  It was fun while it lasted.  You have a lot more styles available with a 10/11 size of foot than I do with a 12/13 size.  I hope you enjoy your new found find.  They look great.

Sorry about the idiot in Payless....I was timid at the check out line also until one great experience at my local thrift shop.  I put the boots on the counter and presented cash for payement, the cashier said:  "I'm sure they will look great on you!"   I replied:  "I sure hope so"....  This one experience boosted my confidence immensely....

• Like 3

9 hours ago, bluejay said:

I Like your look without socks. That's the way I wear my pumps, except when I wear sheer hose or tights in the colder months. I like the top of my foot showing, just like the ladies wear their pumps. I like to show off my heels. Welcome to HHP

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

You’re right, it is interesting how showing skin on your feet seems to draws more attention to your shoes, especially when the overall outfit is covering most of everything else.  What is amazing to me is about pump heels is that instead of making your feet look casual and naked, they actually look very dressed up.  With a man’s typical outfit, flat loafers with no socks would be glaringly casual regardless of what else you are wearing.  But with pumps, the toes are neatly covered, the shoe is fitted to the foot’s curves, and the feet are elegantly elevated above the dirt and dust of the floor.  

9 hours ago, SF said:

The only thing pointey toe shoes and boots are good for is squashing cockroaches in corners!!  Ha ha ....  sf

LOL you know what else is good for squashing bugs... heels!  I like being able to confidently squash a scorpion with the firm heel block.  With a flimsy treaded sole there is always a chance the critter would just squirm away.  

3 hours ago, jetheelsfan said:

Jetheels that is unfortunate, and I imagine one bad experience can really ruin things.  But as pebblesf said one good experience can be a big booster too, so I hope you might have the fun again one day.  Even though I used self checkout, it was a small positive experience and I feel more confident shipping for heels now.  

• Like 2

@p1ng74 - these wedge pumps look great on you. Especially w/o socks, though probably great with dark hose too. I really love this style of wedge (well, most wedges actually!), and I have been on the lookout for a similar style, but with a higher heel, maybe around 4-4.5". But 3" will be great and very comfy and I might be tempted too ;-) 

keep wearing them out, you'll love it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2018 at 6:38 PM, p1ng74 said:

You’re right, it is interesting how showing skin on your feet seems to draws more attention to your shoes, especially when the overall outfit is covering most of everything else.  What is amazing to me is about pump heels is that instead of making your feet look casual and naked, they actually look very dressed up.  With a man’s typical outfit, flat loafers with no socks would be glaringly casual regardless of what else you are wearing.  But with pumps, the toes are neatly covered, the shoe is fitted to the foot’s curves, and the feet are elegantly elevated above the dirt and dust of the floor.

I had never really thought about this before, but you're absolutely right. I would never be caught dead wearing men's shoes without socks in anything but the most casual situations, but somehow the cut and shape of a pump makes the look far less casual, even without socks or hosiery.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 5:07 AM, jeremy1986 said:

@p1ng74 - these wedge pumps look great on you. Especially w/o socks, though probably great with dark hose too. I really love this style of wedge (well, most wedges actually!), and I have been on the lookout for a similar style, but with a higher heel, maybe around 4-4.5". But 3" will be great and very comfy and I might be tempted too ;-) 

keep wearing them out, you'll love it!

I have become a fan of the look but I need to find a higher quality pair.  All the synthetic materials are too harsh on the feet.  Unfortunately I found no high wedges at the outlet stores yesterday, which seem to be filling with strappy open toe shoes that have been shipped down South for end of season clearance.  I did pick up a pair of 3.75” suede purple/Aubergine heels which already feel much better for more regular wear, which should hold me over until wedges cycle in to the shelves here.  

P1ng74, this is your first year of purchasing women's shoes.  Count this as your learning year.  

(1)  Women's shoes have seasons. Take this year to learn the seasons in your area.

(2)  Styles change fast. Shoes sale out and then they are gone forever.

(3)  Shop often. Styles come in all the time. Take a few hours a month to shop.

(4)  Find out who makes (brand) or carries shoes that fit and you like. That means shoe shopping in person. (I have some favorite brands and styles.)

(5)  If you buy anything a good salesperson will remember you. You will get better and better service. (At least I do.)

(6)  And always remember these wise words:  

Life's too short for heels that hurt!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cali said:

P1ng74, this is your first year of purchasing women's shoes.  Count this as your learning year.  

(1)  Women's shoes have seasons. Take this year to learn the seasons in your area.

(2)  Styles change fast. Shoes sale out and then they are gone forever.

Life’s too short for heels that hurt!

LOL this is my first WEEK in women’s shoes.  The learning is already really fun, so this can be a fun year.  

I have a question for you all regarding the cycling of styles.  From a business perspective the fast cycles help sell more shoes, but do people keep close enough track of the various styles from year to year to the extent that your heels from last year would be recognized as being out of style?  What do you all do with your heels from 2015?  Do they go to the back of the closet because your heels from this year will be recognized by others as being the latest, fancy model, like a new car?  At some point do older styles become vintage, and then more desireable again because of their relative rarity?

And yes I won’t settle for painful footwear. Many people make the same mistake with cowboy boots too.  Most people I meet tell me they would wear their cowboy boots more often if they weren’t so uncomfortable.  In contrast, I am often sad to have to take them off before going to bed because of how comfortable they still are at the end of the day.  I think most people don’t take the time and money to size their boots correctly.  They are a lot less forgiving of size nuances than lace up sneakers.  Same applies to heels.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, p1ng74 said:

LOL this is my first WEEK in women’s shoes.  The learning is already really fun, so this can be a fun year.  

I have a question for you all regarding the cycling of styles.  From a business perspective the fast cycles help sell more shoes, but do people keep close enough track of the various styles from year to year to the extent that your heels from last year would be recognized as being out of style?  What do you all do with your heels from 2015?  Do they go to the back of the closet because your heels from this year will be recognized by others as being the latest, fancy model, like a new car?  At some point do older styles become vintage, and then more desireable again because of their relative rarity? 

And yes I won’t settle for painful footwear. Many people make the same mistake with cowboy boots too.  Most people I meet tell me they would wear their cowboy boots more often if they weren’t so uncomfortable.  In contrast, I am often sad to have to take them off before going to bed because of how comfortable they still are at the end of the day.  I think most people don’t take the time and money to size their boots correctly.  They are a lot less forgiving of size nuances than lace up sneakers.  Same applies to heels.  

Welcome to world of awesome shoes!

In terms of styles - they do change seasonally.

I wear pumps all the time (boots seldom) - I have round/almond and pointed toes - in all colours and styles

It is safe to say that a pointy toe pump (not super pointy) but still a pointed toe is the classic staple and is timeless and will always be on trend.

Best colours for a pump would be a basic black and then a nude, other colours follow.

The benefit of pumps is they work with everything from pants to skirts/dresses, whereas boots/sandals have some limitations as to what they can pair with easily.

oh - and regarding bare feet/hosiery with pumps - I would recommend always have your feet and legs paler than your shoes - so hosiery should be lighter and ideally sheer - 20 denier is about right - I wear 10 denier because I only want the shade/colour tone. I would avoid socks with pumps - be proud of your shoes and own the look - it looks better with a bit of skin showing. Your pic with bare feet and wedges is much better looking than with socks in my opinion anyway.

Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

I will respond to your last paragraph first, and I agree with you and Cali. There is just no sense in wearing shoes that are so uncomfortable that it's your main thought the whole time you're wearing them. However, I've learned over the years that there's a difference between pain and PAIN. There are a number of shoes I got rid of too hastily because I thought they were painful, when in fact I now know that I just needed to work up to them. Wearing truly high heels is an athletic activity, and a person can't expect to be able to wear very high heels all day long from the outset without a lot of training. Maybe other people have had different experiences, but I know I wouldn't be able to wear higher heels for a long period of time if I hadn't walked a lot in lower heels for a period of years. There is a big difference between your feet or calves feeling fatigued because you're not used to working them that much versus toes going numb and feet bleeding. I think we can all agree that we're not going to put up with blisters and bleeding feet for the sake of fashion, and it's just not necessary.

And now to respond to your second paragraph. In my experience, unless you buy super-trendy, funky shoes, it won't matter a bit that they're a year or three old. Classic styles will always be fashionable, and unless it's something that is just super radical, even stuff that is not the latest trend will still look good for years to come. For example, a couple of years ago, sandals with a closed, block heel and a single thin strap across the toes were all the rage. Although they might not be the latest thing, they still look just fine, and there is no reason to throw them away, or relegate them to the back of the closet. Also, what may be the latest style might not look good on you personally. I would just buy what you like, and not worry about fashion cycles.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

And now to respond to your second paragraph. In my experience, unless you buy super-trendy, funky shoes, it won't matter a bit that they're a year or three old. Classic styles will always be fashionable, and unless it's something that is just super radical, even stuff that is not the latest trend will still look good for years to come. For example, a couple of years ago, sandals with a closed, block heel and a single thin strap across the toes were all the rage. Although they might not be the latest thing, they still look just fine, and there is no reason to throw them away, or relegate them to the back of the closet. Also, what may be the latest style might not look good on you personally. I would just buy what you like, and not worry about fashion cycles.

I think you missed the point here, I not talking about fashion cycles. The type of shoes that are available cycles, you have fall shoes, winter shoes, spring shoes, summer shoes. New boots and booties come in the the fall.  What's available in May-June-July-August are mostly the left overs. 

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cali said:

I think you missed the point here, I not talking about fashion cycles. The type of shoes that are available cycles, you have fall shoes, winter shoes, spring shoes, summer shoes. New boots and booties come in the the fall.  What's available in May-June-July-August are mostly the left overs. 

Whoops! Perhaps you misread. I wasn't responding to you at all, but rather to p1ng74's open-ended question. But I don't disagree with your point, and I try to exploit this cycle as best I can, buying sandals in the fall and buying boots in the spring. It doesn't always work out as I'd planned, but how many time in life do things work out the same as we've planned?

• Like 1

Hey p1ng74! Congratulations on buying more sensibly high wedge heels for your first pair. Most guys seem to buy high heels as though they are wanting to touch the stars, which usually takes longer to learn how to walk gracefully at such heights.  

Not being a fashion follower per-sa, I'm more apt to get the styles that fit my taste, rather than purchase by the styles that are in fashion or trending. Furthermore, for the past 3 to 4 years, most of the trends or brands I use to buy haven't been over all motivators for giving me any reason to buy the wares presented, even when I can afford them. Lately, I have found a few pairs that have been pre-worn at least once or twice that more than filled this void, but the use life of most high heels is short, especially when I wear stilettos like these regularly. 

11311959kb_14_e (2).jpg

• Like 3

Thanks all.  So far the heels I find most interesting so far are wedges and classic pumps, and we’ll see how this season goes as the sandals start clearing out.  

16 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I will respond to your last paragraph first, and I agree with you and Cali. There is just no sense in wearing shoes that are so uncomfortable that it's your main thought the whole time you're wearing them. However, I've learned over the years that there's a difference between pain and PAIN. There are a number of shoes I got rid of too hastily because I thought they were painful, when in fact I now know that I just needed to work up to them. Wearing truly high heels is an athletic activity, and a person can't expect to be able to wear very high heels all day long from the outset without a lot of training. Maybe other people have had different experiences, but I know I wouldn't be able to wear higher heels for a long period of time if I hadn't walked a lot in lower heels for a period of years. There is a big difference between your feet or calves feeling fatigued because you're not used to working them that much versus toes going numb and feet bleeding. I think we can all agree that we're not going to put up with blisters and bleeding feet for the sake of fashion, and it's just not necessary.

I think I know what you mean, the difference between being sore from exercise versus injuring pain.  Also, I imagine the nicer shoes with more organic materials will conform some to the shape of the foot over time.  I have been through this with certain boots and am willing to manage this for heels too, considering many will be initially too narrow.  In my limited experience, I find that a good indicator of whether I am still on track is to gauge how I feel when I move.  After all, like you said, this is exercise.  If it hurts a lot to move, then it’s probably time to stop.  If my feet and going a little numb because I have been sitting or standing still too long, and moving around a bit makes them feel better, then it is time to do some foot exercises.  

I followed these indicators when I wore the new 3.75” heels yesterday for over a couple hours.  Afterwards, my feet were not numb or in pain, but just felt pleasantly a little sore from the new exercise.  Looking forward to doing this some more.  

• Like 1