What Happened to White?

jetheelsfan

As a kid of the 50's and a tween in the early 60s when I discovered the high heeled shoes were something special, white was a common shade of choice.  The Spring/Summer catalogs featured that as the color of choice for female footwear for the season from Easter to Labor Day .  White stated femininity as guys styles were not offering that choice of color unless one was a doctor.  It seemed Easter was a time many young ladies began their first experience wearing heels and were mostly white.  Over time, it seems the color white has faded from the mainstay in the color of shoes for any season.  White heels are seldom seen and I am wondering if anyone has a recollection as to when and why that has occurred?

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

As we all know, fashion trends, like stocks, tend to fluctuate. My wife has several pair of white sandals that she wears with the right outfits. When she was younger she would say that white is only to be worn from Memorial Day to Labor Day (summertime) but never held herself to that rule, despite the advice from her mother and grandmother. She looks good in white, or whatever color she’s wearing. 

Heck, I even have a few pair of white or light colored flat sandals and heels that I wear regularly. 

Maybe one reason that white is not popular is that it shows dirt/scuff marks and can be a chore to keep looking nice?

I don’t think that white is “dead” just yet.....    Have fun.....   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Well, to add my two cents worth, white is often seen as a color fit for spring and summer and usually not seen in fall and winter. And yeah, white is a bear to keep clean.

• Like 1

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I wear a lot of white shoes during the summer months. I wear pumps, sandals and white slides. I also see other women wearing white shoes and men too, wearing white men's shoes, during the summer months. It used to be that white shoes were worn between Memorial Day and Labor Day, but now white is worn all year long. I just bought a pair of Naturalizer closed toe slide mules in white to wear this fall. They were in their fall catalog. I also bought a pair of white chunky heel ankle boots to wear with my ensembles this fall. I bought them last spring. I wore them once before going to all summer shoes. Not planning to wear any white this winter as the salt and snow will ruin them.

https://www.shoes.com/naturalizer-daria-mule/844071/1862850?cm_vc=bn_searchresults_carou_loc1

https://www.amazon.com/Mofri-Womens-Burnished-Square-Booties/dp/B077JZJN2C/ref=sr_1_119?ie=UTF8&qid=1538403635&sr=8-119&keywords=woman%2Bwhite%2Bankle%2Bboots&th=1

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• Like 1

I just saw a news report which showed the president's wife with a pair of classic white pumps while at an airport.  The look was fantastic.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

On 10/1/2018 at 10:25 AM, bluejay said:

I wear a lot of white shoes during the summer months. I wear pumps, sandals and white slides. I also see other women wearing white shoes and men too, wearing white men's shoes, during the summer months. It used to be that white shoes were worn between Memorial Day and Labor Day, but now white is worn all year long. I just bought a pair of Naturalizer closed toe slide mules in white to wear this fall. They were in their fall catalog. I also bought a pair of white chunky heel ankle boots to wear with my ensembles this fall. I bought them last spring. I wore them once before going to all summer shoes. Not planning to wear any white this winter as the salt and snow will ruin them.

https://www.shoes.com/naturalizer-daria-mule/844071/1862850?cm_vc=bn_searchresults_carou_loc1

https://www.amazon.com/Mofri-Womens-Burnished-Square-Booties/dp/B077JZJN2C/ref=sr_1_119?ie=UTF8&qid=1538403635&sr=8-119&keywords=woman%2Bwhite%2Bankle%2Bboots&th=1

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

Great to see you posting again, Bluejay! You've been AWOL too long!

Post more often. You always have good things to say and you say it well!

Steve

• 1 month later...

Whilst white pointed stiletto courts were the 'must-have' UK fashion in the 1959-64 period, they have been much less popular subsequently, largely because of the 'Essex Girl' connotation (i.e. allegedly tarty and cheap looking), quite apart from the periodic condemnation of stilettos generally.   But they have never disappeared completely and have made several re-appearances, often in a higher-fashion 'respectable' context.   Here is one self-confessed enthusiast, a respected journalist (Alexandra Shulman):

'As I returned to my nice warm kitchen I felt both guilty and resentful,' writes Alexandra Shulman

Personally, I like the look very much as it is entirely appropriate for smart summer wear and formal occasions such as weddings.   White shoes and sandals still remain very much in evidence, but perhaps less conspicuously so as horizons have broadened to include multi-coloured and metallic footwear and not just the 'safe' black, brown, navy and white that were more or less universal until the mid-60s.   I will often wear (men's) white slip-on shoes and sandals in the summer - when we get one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wear white stiletto pumps and mules as often as I would wear any other colour. They go really well as an accent on monchromatic outfits.

They can be a nuisance because your heels do shoes show marks really easily - especially if you get them wet and dirty - but they have the same effect as popping a bright heel on your feet.

I reckon I must have 10 pairs in white - from sandals, pumps and heel-less too.

• Like 1

The shoes in the second pic look so wrong with the round toes.   White shoes need at least an almond toe to look sleek, as with the later pics.   And likewise, sandals need minimal straps on an open front, not just a peep toe.   Just my opinion, but white footwear needs to be lightweight - clumpy toes and heels can mar the effect.

I prefer a pointy toe on most of my shoes - just for aesthetics. I do like the contrast of a round to in a nude pump as long as it is complimented with a fierce heel to offset the innocent look of the round toe.

The funny thing is I don't particularly like the white heel-less pumps above - I bought them because they were trendy a while back and I have had them for ages now. Whenever I wear them they get so many ooohs and aaaahs.... so they are a bit of spice up a basic outfit shoe now.

• 2 weeks later...

In the late 80s and early 90s there were white pumps everywhere.  I was very smitten with them and looked forever to find some in my size.  Found them in 92 or 93 and I still have them.

Then the shoe style dark ages started in the mid-90s and white shoes disappeared and the shoes that remained were IMHO very ugly.  The dark ages started to fall away in the early to mid 2000s and attractive and sexy styles started to reappear but white shoes didn't seem to come out of hiatus until much later and with a far more limited selection.

At least that was my observation.

Best,

Larry

• Like 1

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

I just bought these white ones.  My first pair of white heels.  Usually my heels are black. Feel safer in black heels.  Haven’t worn them in public yet, but did shovel the driveway and got the snow off our vehicles. Little chilly on the feet, but it was worth it. 

6DC8BA4A-1D72-442C-A8DC-C657BF72C9D0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice look stevieuk7610. Love your white booties with the leggings. I'm also a fan of wearing white. I recently bought a pair of white, chunky heel booties. I normally wear white shoes during the summer but now days it's fashionable to wear white all year long. I paired them up with black, fleece lined leggings with a long length white sweater. Got several compliments on my ensemble.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

Those white booties brought back a favorite memory from the mid 1960s ... the White Corsages Backzip Pointed Toe Boot with the plastic 1" black heel.  Those were so popular with my school peers.  That was the first female foot ware I wanted to have a pair of my own.  Like my parents would have approved that - not as a tween.

On 1/5/2019 at 2:05 PM, bluejay said:

Nice look stevieuk7610. Love your white booties with the leggings. I'm also a fan of wearing white. I recently bought a pair of white, chunky heel booties. I normally wear white shoes during the summer but now days it's fashionable to wear white all year long. I paired them up with black, fleece lined leggings with a long length white sweater. Got several compliments on my ensemble.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

Those fleece lined leggings sound a great idea.. Starting to get a bit chilly over here..