Boot "season"?

p1ng74

22 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Trying not to go anywhere, but I had to go to the grocery store.  It was actually pretty quiet there:

I also ride my motorbike to get groceries, though these days, my ride is much smaller, and my footwear is more minimal. 😁

For some reason, those boots are much more impressive from this angle, even though you can't see half of them in this picture.

Edited by mlroseplant
Further thoughts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I also ride my motorbike to get groceries, though these days, my ride is much smaller, and my footwear is more minimal. 😁

For some reason, those boots are much more impressive from this angle, even though you can't see half of them in this picture.

I actually don’t own any motorbikes - there just happened to be one in the parking lot lol.  I have helmets because I race cars, and I am way more comfortable wearing them than floppy cloth masks.  

Yeah I’m really liking how the heel shape of these boots turned out.  The underslung angle is not nearly as severe, which has kind of a less distinctive profile, but at certain angles it really shows off the height.  

• Like 1

The new boots were out of the packaging so I made a point to wear them to church today, and I knew that doing so would get a thorough reaction from my wife.  She asked if she could maybe have a pair made too, wondered if they made “women’s boots too”, and tried them on, so I would say that this is a success.   She thought the tall tops were a bit hot for July, and the heels a bit tall, but we can go with something more “normal” when we design her pair.  I had followed her feedback and reduced the underslung angle and went with round toe, so I think we’re all happy - I’ve managed to design boots that satisfy my craving for heels, and yet don’t have issues with controversy over “girls’ shoes”.  

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

Snakes, fireants, scorpions, spiders, wasps... cow manure... yeah no way I’m wearing sandals.  The Stuart Weitzman boots have also been just sitting in the box all year because my trips to the city have ended.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The bad news is, ever since we were sent home for Covid, I have had no where to go to wear some of my more delicate heels, like the Stuart Weitzmans.  I pulled them out today and went for a walk just to check if I was still just as comfortable in them as when I wore them every day.  The good news is, they felt great - I think spending all my time in 3.5" cowboy boots has been effective at ensuring that I won't totally "forget" the feeling of wearing 4+" heels.  

Edited by p1ng74
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

The bad news is, ever since we were sent home for Covid, I have had no where to go to wear some of my more delicate heels, like the Stuart Weitzmans.  I pulled them out today and went for a walk just to check if I was still just as comfortable in them as when I wore them every day.

I don't think I've ever seen you in delicate heels, maybe it's just been so long.

We are had lots of smoke and ashes last week. We had whole large leaves that weren't burn but baked crisp in the ashes that fell.  And I am 15 miles away  from the fire and a few blocks from the ocean. Wind shift yesterday and fog came in with cleaner air. I know that fog helps them.  We have several "refugees" living on our small street. I have friends around the state in other fires, so it's scary times everywhere.

Lots of damage at Big Basin where some of the largest trees in the world are.

Thanks for asking

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2020 at 11:18 AM, Cali said:

We are had lots of smoke and ashes last week. We had whole large leaves that weren't burn but baked crisp in the ashes that fell.  And I am 15 miles away  from the fire and a few blocks from the ocean. Wind shift yesterday and fog came in with cleaner air. I know that fog helps them.  We have several "refugees" living on our small street. I have friends around the state in other fires, so it's scary times everywhere.

Lots of damage at Big Basin where some of the largest trees in the world are.

Thanks for asking

Take good care of yourselves, don't hang around if the fires start closing in on you....Some of the news reports of people "camping" in the middle of the fire zone baffle the craps out of me....

1 hour ago, pebblesf said:

Take good care of yourselves, don't hang around if the fires start closing in on you....Some of the news reports of people "camping" in the middle of the fire zone baffle the craps out of me....

Currently my daughter lives less than 15 miles from the Creek fire and can see the flames from her house. Scary times all around.

• Sad 1

On 9/8/2020 at 2:21 PM, Cali said:

I think @mlroseplant would agree, those shorts are still too long.   ;-)

On 9/8/2020 at 2:53 PM, p1ng74 said:

LOL I admit I folded a cuff on them to see if I could go any shorter, and yeah I get where you are coming from

Believe it or not, I have been wearing some longer shorts this year, which I roll up to make them the length I like. It's not what I would do in a perfect world, but it does accomplish two things: First, it greatly reduces the chances of a wardrobe malfunction when seated, an unsightly and embarrassing problem that I have if I'm not paying close attention while wearing very short shorts. Second, it allows me to go practice the organ on a whim without going home first and changing pants, as I can just unroll the legs and avoid the problem of bare legs sticking to the organ bench, a painful experience. Likewise, it also avoids the problem of slimy feeling legs against the leather seat of my car. Photo is a recycle, I admit.

AlaiaWithShorts.jpg

• Like 4

As @mlroseplant said in Kneehigh's thread, work wear is always so generously cut, but I had developed some interest in wearing overalls lately so I gave this piece a try.  First thing I noticed taking it out of the package is that this is a HEAVY piece of clothing!  Yeah, generously cut, and heavy fabric on top of that.  Not sure I'll wear these in the heat of the summer, but things are starting to cool down.  Plus, I'm digging the zip up leg openings - helps stay cool, and you can show a little leg LOL.  

Edited by p1ng74
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, p1ng74 said:

As @mlroseplant said in Kneehigh's thread, work wear is always so generously cut, but I had developed some interest in wearing overalls lately so I gave this piece a try.  First thing I noticed taking it out of the package is that this is a HEAVY piece of clothing!  Yeah, generously cut, and heavy fabric on top of that.  Not sure I'll wear these in the heat of the summer, but things are starting to cool down.  Plus, I'm digging the zip up leg openings - helps stay cool, and you can show a little leg LOL.  

Nice pose indeed!

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 6:55 AM, mlroseplant said:

Believe it or not, I have been wearing some longer shorts this year, which I roll up to make them the length I like. It's not what I would do in a perfect world, but it does accomplish two things: First, it greatly reduces the chances of a wardrobe malfunction when seated, an unsightly and embarrassing problem that I have if I'm not paying close attention while wearing very short shorts. Second, it allows me to go practice the organ on a whim without going home first and changing pants, as I can just unroll the legs and avoid the problem of bare legs sticking to the organ bench, a painful experience. Likewise, it also avoids the problem of slimy feeling legs against the leather seat of my car. Photo is a recycle, I admit.

AlaiaWithShorts.jpg

Looking at this picture, I cannot believe that anyone seeing you wearing those shoes could ever see them as anything it woman’s high heel sandals (Great shoes, however.). Just an observation.

• Thanks 1

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

16 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

You got a pair of Carhartts! At least that's what we call them around here. Doesn't matter what brand they actually are, they're "Carhartts." The uninsulated, lighter version that I wear every day are known as "bibs." I'm sure this is a regional thing. In any case, I would never have imagined that anyone would buy Carhartts for their fashion. With the boots, they really don't look all that bad! However, I still don't like them, because every time I think of Carhartts, I think of the picture below. It is my fervent hope that the Carhartts stay in the trunk of my car all winter.

CarharttsInSnow.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

You got a pair of Carhartts! At least that's what we call them around here. Doesn't matter what brand they actually are, they're "Carhartts." The uninsulated, lighter version that I wear every day are known as "bibs." I'm sure this is a regional thing. In any case, I would never have imagined that anyone would buy Carhartts for their fashion. With the boots, they really don't look all that bad! However, I still don't like them, because every time I think of Carhartts, I think of the picture below. It is my fervent hope that the Carhartts stay in the trunk of my car all winter.

Yup, they are real Carhartts.  And I like them so much I ordered another pair in black before they go out of stock on the smallest size.  These are uninsulated so I guess they fall under the “bib” nomenclature.  Carhartt does get referenced in fashion discussions - mostly in admiration of their pants.  When I first saw it I was like, Carhartt?  The same Carhartt that they sell at Tractor Supply?  Yup.  They feel high quality, and seem to have a following with women too - probably because the materials are actually durable versus cheap stretchy distressed stuff.  That would explain why small sizes are often out of stock.  

Fashion doesn’t have to be impractical.  The funny thing is, that very work fit you are ready to leave in the trunk is the same fit that some young urban hipster will adopt for fashion, reflective vest and all.  Course, these same people are probably into streetwear and “techwear”, so we’ll take that for what its worth.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Yup, they are real Carhartts.  And I like them so much I ordered another pair in black before they go out of stock on the smallest size.  These are uninsulated so I guess they fall under the “bib” nomenclature.  Carhartt does get referenced in fashion discussions - mostly in admiration of their pants.  When I first saw it I was like, Carhartt?  The same Carhartt that they sell at Tractor Supply?  Yup.  They feel high quality, and seem to have a following with women too - probably because the materials are actually durable versus cheap stretchy distressed stuff.  That would explain why small sizes are often out of stock.  

Fashion doesn’t have to be impractical.  The funny thing is, that very work fit you are ready to leave in the trunk is the same fit that some young urban hipster will adopt for fashion, reflective vest and all.  Course, these same people are probably into streetwear and “techwear”, so we’ll take that for what its worth.  

Huh, that's interesting. I've never seen a pair of uninsulated Carhartts with zip up legs. I used to have a pair of Carhartt bibs that I really liked in theory. They were made of that cotton duck material, much like your new ones. They were forest green in color, but sort of faded looking. They did not have zip up legs, but were heavier than your normal demin bibs. The problem I have with Carhartt is that none of their pants of any style fits my body, and these green bibs were no exception. I can't really explain why, they just fit funny. I finally sacrificed those bibs to help repair another guy's jacket of the same color.

I finally found a picture of me in my natural environment which shows my work clothes pretty well. I've firmly settled on Key brand bib overalls. I've tried to wear regular pants at work, but they just don't have enough pockets. I always thought that when I became foreman that I could quit wearing bibs to work, but it hasn't worked out that way at all. I'm probably too far along to ever be promoted to an office job, and if I were ever promoted to an office job, they probably wouldn't like my shoes anyway, so maybe everything is working out like it should.

KeyBibs.jpg

• Like 2