Boot "season"?

p1ng74

Actually I was just about to suggest that being 6 feet tall without heels actually causes people’s “peripheral judgment” as Macky put it to gravitate to masculine despite the details of what I am wearing.

In the end, whether or not people notice or say anything is secondary to me.  I am enjoying the fun feeling of wearing something wild and different while going about the usual, otherwise boring daily routine that I have had to deal with lately at work.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Actually I was just about to suggest that being 6 feet tall without heels actually causes people’s “peripheral judgment” as Macky put it to gravitate to masculine despite the details of what I am wearing.

In the end, whether or not people notice or say anything is secondary to me.  I am enjoying the fun feeling of wearing something wild and different while going about the usual, otherwise boring daily routine that I have had to deal with lately at work.  

Often it is true people observe a very tall female without heels is associated to masculine deposition.  Often observe a 6 foot 5 inch young woman in the gym with medium build for her size which is quite large for any any average size woman. Yet anyone i talk to gossips about how she appears bigger then most men. Could see it in her demeanour  talking that she feels less feminine and has angst being so tall and big. Feet are too large to wear women's size shoes and we all know tall woman wearing heels looks freakish. Only if your super model with skinny skeleton frame body physique requirement to attracting more attention. We as people enjoy standing out in the crowd being praised envied complimented  for what we wear.

Ask yourself has male in casual masculine clothes ever been complimented  compared versus  a  women in their feminine attire with the same frequency? Only time i noticed males get complimented  same equal frequency by others is when shirts off or semi nude and body is shown from a male. Guess today more men get complimented about their bodies, than woman. Which translates to what  woman  are wearing being more impaortant then what men style themselves unless it's formal tuxedo or suit and tie.

Agree with wearing and enjoy feeling wild in the clothes you wear. Puzzles me to no end why woman make a fuss about my feminine fashion style treating me with disrespect over and over again. Yet they themselves know how important clothes can make your daily routine fun and exciting not exclusive to only the female gender. I like to shop, i want to wear different colourful clothes,  shoes where the environment is suited like the gym or elsewhere.. While on the street subtle contrasting dark colours work with well fitted clothes bringing out my lean toned physique which is apparent when looking me over. Thus understandable when i get a startled stare once, from my boss which i worked beside.  He looked me over asking how do i keep in that shape. Let say my boss has smart discerning eye nothing gets passed him.

Edited by MackyHeels

6 hours ago, MackyHeels said:

Ask yourself has male in casual masculine clothes ever been complimented  compared versus  a  women in their feminine attire with the same frequency? Only time i noticed males get complimented  same equal frequency by others is when shirts off or semi nude and body is shown from a male. Guess today more men get complimented about their bodies, than woman. Which translates to what  woman  are wearing being more impaortant then what men style themselves unless it's formal tuxedo or suit and tie.

I think the general lack of diversity in masculine fashion is a big factor in this.  Hard to make conversation when everyone is wearing the same thing.  What are you going to say, “Hey nice shirt, I think white looks good on you?”. But if you shop around, you can find nice things and people notice.  I have mentioned before that I get compliments on my cowboy boots.  When the weather turned cold I have had multiple random guys compliment this trench coat.  50566350-32DB-4159-8C78-FE7E0B63CAE4.thumb.jpeg.6dc48ce69bca66585b9334a1f291acd2.jpeg

• Like 6

If you look at photographs of businessmen or politicians in the news they’re always in dark blue suits with white shirts and either red or blue ties. I’ve noticed Michael Cohen in bright yellow ties, but then he’s going to prison. 

It is as though they were all stamped out on a cookie cutter.

Uniformity, keeping within the herd and never standing out in any way is, and has been for many years, the golden rule for men’s fashion.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Uniformity, keeping within the herd and never standing out in any way is, and has been for many years, the golden rule for men’s fashion.

To me the uniformity reflects uniform thought, and when I choose what to wear into the office that is not what I want to portray.  I like the conscience clothing decisions of thought leaders like Steve Jobs.  Yes it is casual, but the point is that it was a deliberate choice.

I went to our company holiday party the other night and was a little surprised at how uniform everyone was, considering our push towards innovation.  The invite said “cocktail dress and dancing shoes” which may have stifled creativity.  I was the only man not wearing dress shoes.  I put on a blue and green striped bow tie, which people noticed and complimented.  The woman were arguably just as uniform.  Every one wore a solid color dress with flats or kitten heel pumps, except for one who was in low block heel sandals.  Towards the end I finally found someone to talk to who agreed with me about my boredom.  He came in a leather jacket instead of same suit everyone else is wearing.  

• Like 1

I suppose you could have worn a cocktail dress and said you were following instructions. ;-) That would have been a conversation starter...

I never cared much for business attire and have been fortunate in my line of work that I never had to wear any. I was never the guy editors sent to cover Davos. I was always the guy they sent to New Guinea or Chad. 

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

I suppose you could have worn a cocktail dress and said you were following instructions. ;-) That would have been a conversation starter...

You know if I could magically be a woman for just one night and look good in a cocktail dress I’d probably do it.  I googled “cocktail dress” beforehand to get an idea of what people were expecting and was impressed by all the options women have - laces, pleats, patterns, prints, it all looks so nice.  But what did I see at the party?  Well it seems half the women showed up in business suits...

Edited by p1ng74

5 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Business wear is all business. 

I don’t even own a tie, let alone a jacket. I do have multiple Gore-Tex shells though..

I have been gifted so many ties over the years that we had to get a second hanger. But if an occasion calls for a tie, I wear a bow tie.  I kind of wish I worked in an office where a bow tie would not be too dressy, actually, so that I could wear them more often...583F5A12-A934-4495-991F-3AAF1B6DAC32.thumb.jpeg.a9d1916d6042c31b0aa489425ddbb59a.jpeg

I too have been gifted many many ties. The last one was from my daughter several years ago, I asked her "WHY?" I normally only wear them when I have to. It has been at least a decade since I last wore one, but may have to next May in Jolly Old England.  

10 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I doubt you’d have to at a wedding.

I'm assuming I will be REQUIRED to wear a tie, maybe even more. Location, my relationship to this couple, and who I will be representing.

Ah ties, the proverbial ‘noose’ of a man’s attire. I remember a satirical cartoon when I was younger that addressed the tie as such. It was an effort to break out of the expected norm that white collar men should wear suits and ties, or maybe trying to make blue collar jobs seem more appealing. Either way,  it stuck out in my mind for many years.

I tried my hand at a white collar job, working in management at a bank. I got bored with the routine. Also, surprisingly, I made about half of what I did when I was working on cars. Needless to say, the banking gig was short lived.

I don’t wear ties much anymore, but I do love them, and actually collect vintage ties. I only collect ties that are ‘Oscar de la Renta’ as they quit making ties in the 80’s, but not sure when. I have about 40 of their ties?? My wife loves it when I wear them, but I haven’t figured out how I want to incorporate that with my heeling.

I wore a bow tie when I got married, because ‘bow ties are cool’(reference). The other tie I have and love is a tie I purchased from Burberry. It’s the check pattern but in a dark color. I’ll have to post a picture sometime.

• Like 1

I remember reading a story about one of the “sapeurs”, those outrageously natty dressers in Congo, who started a business selling colourful patterned bow ties. He was making quite a success if it.  He had a personal collection of about 500. It was really quite cool the way he could carry off the look

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Despite January, it is so warm here we are running air conditioners.  But that is not stopping me from wearing OTK boots in to work.  No one knows except me, though we will see if anyone asks about the heels...

6C619444-4F30-404C-959C-FE296F8178A3.thumb.jpeg.0104e8901a335612e71d2fd314f88d2e.jpeg

• Like 6

With those trousers you would have to wear OTK boots under rather than over, otherwise the trousers would bag over them and you'd look like some WWI officer, lacking only a swagger stick to complete the effect 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:11 AM, p1ng74 said:

Despite January, it is so warm here we are running air conditioners.  But that is not stopping me from wearing OTK boots in to work.  No one knows except me, though we will see if anyone asks about the heels...

6C619444-4F30-404C-959C-FE296F8178A3.thumb.jpeg.0104e8901a335612e71d2fd314f88d2e.jpeg

Those pants fit perfectly over those great boots....I can't believe no one noticed...People had to notice, they just did not comment....You look great, powerful in a business type manner....

• Thanks 1

@pebblesf I agree some notice, and it might take time for people to process it and think of something to say.  In the meantime, I’m enjoying the feeling of wearing and walking in an extra inch.  Went out shopping and walked around a bit yesterday, logging 3.3 miles according to the health app.  Tonight I decided to play with the suede look:

77896A64-07C3-4795-9FE7-7D0408E519D6.thumb.jpeg.c6cc5ac72b5d6fe8d2aedf9987863d8b.jpeg

• Like 3

Finally received my first comment today on my heels, and a second one the same day!  

9481BCE1-03D6-41E0-986C-0B91353A0BCE.thumb.jpeg.77fda377daf4cb91b2f2f8b8642a5508.jpeg

First was from a coworker at the break area.  “Those are fancy boots, they make you so tall.”  I think this is what most people see.  There is nothing outrageous about wearing black suede heels, and most people would take a passing glance and notice nothing more than dressy shoes that happen to have a heel.  

Second comment was from a male sales associate at Nieman Marcus Last Call.  He just said “Nice shoes!”  By the way, I have done a bit of shopping these days and finally discovered that Last Call has by far the most comprehensive selection of shoes in size 11+.  Literally, they have rows and rows of highest quality heels in large sizes, beyond anywhere else I have ever seen, and marked down to prices that make shopping anywhere else almost idiotic.  

I didn’t buy any shoes as I think I am quite satisfied right now, but I did come across a pair of lambskin pants that I had to get.  Again, my mind is a little blown at the discount price I paid for real lamb skin... and to think, it I didn’t have the creativity to just look around in the women’s section, I would have never seen it.  

• Like 3

I received a third comment this evening right after posting this.  When the lady tending bar in the restaurant gave me the bill, she said “You probably walk better in those heel than I can.  You’re rocking them!”  

Fun day today - and I get to contemplate opportunities to wear these nice pants 

5DC3B385-EA95-4AA0-8BAA-3FBE2719F87C.thumb.jpeg.ad07a28866040303a7341cbc3cd308aa.jpeg

• Like 1