Boot "season"?

p1ng74

I like to put on my boots occasionally during the warmer weather but some styles lend more towards the proper outfit and outside temperatures. For example...this pair of over the knee fur trimmed boots are not what you would expect to be wearing when its 25 to 30 degrees celcius outside. Never the less still fun to pull out of storage and try on once in a while.

20180805_200217-976x1091.jpg

• Like 5

The problem with taller shafts in hot weather is the sticky legs that result.  I've taken them off to totally soaked pants legs.  I sometimes wear them on days that aren't so hot or when the air is dry but on those sticky days I will opt for the ankle height instead.  More than half of my collection is over the knee but since moving to this area I have acquired a good number of short styles which are more tolerable in the hot afternoons.

Speaking of pant legs... what kind of pants do you all wear with tall boots?  I just wear straight leg pants over the shafts, which might give more air circulation than having the pants bunched up under the shafts.  Plus I like the feeling of leather on the calves.  

But for guys who are wearing OTK boots over pants, do you have to seek out tighter cut pants to avoid them bunching up underneath?  

1 hour ago, Cali said:

Shorts, no pant leg interaction.

Otherwise I wear my Pants over the boot. which is a pity because I would love to show the whole shaft, specially my blue suede boots.

Yeah that is the interesting thing about the  way guys wear boots, hiding what is sometimes nice color and stitch work.  Since cropped pants have started coming back, I’ve gone that direction to show some off the footwear a little more.  Full break pants long enough for my waist size are hard to find anyway.  Standing, it is a subtle splash of color, and sitting down it’s pretty noticeable.  

39506FFF-694D-47BF-AD54-3DEA14D4B2A8.jpeg

2816934F-8B05-4A8A-BB35-86987E62FC76.jpeg

• Like 2

It is a surprise London would be similar to a city on the Mediterranean Sea. I know London is not a city of excessive rainfall rather it is so evenly distributed amid a cloudy and oceanic climate it seems rainier than it actually is. Seattle fits this model. Go west into the Olympic Mountains and it's a whole other story!

Today I visited my pal's shoe store in Chicago and wore my high Soda wedges (black top over cognac bottom) as the day was very nice and temperate (max of 68F/20C). HinH

• Like 2

20 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Yeah that is the interesting thing about the  way guys wear boots, hiding what is sometimes nice color and stitch work.  Since cropped pants have started coming back, I’ve gone that direction to show some off the footwear a little more.  Full break pants long enough for my waist size are hard to find anyway.  Standing, it is a subtle splash of color, and sitting down it’s pretty noticeable.  

39506FFF-694D-47BF-AD54-3DEA14D4B2A8.jpeg

2816934F-8B05-4A8A-BB35-86987E62FC76.jpeg

Display those hot boots proudly, yeah buddy!

• 2 weeks later...

Was pleasantly surprised to find a good deal on a pair of Cole Haan pull on boots last night at Nordstrom Rack, despite it being only the beginning of the season.  I don’t like the idea of having a zipper on my shoes, so I was immediate attracted to these since they are pure pull on boots, which seems rare for women’s shoes.  They are amazingly comfortable and fit right out of the box, with no sensation that they are technically sized narrower than my foot size.  As the weather gets cooler, I can see myself wearing these around the house a lot.  

9BBE6FBE-0607-419D-9A8E-0A6DFB82DEC7.jpeg

• Like 7

I'm the opposite, I love the zippers in my shoe. I've come to the conclusion that I need a full zipper in my boots, my ankles aren't flexable (or shaped) to slip on a pair of pull on boots. Another boots with shorts day...

BTW I love the silhouette of those boots.  They deserve to be taken to work...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cali said:

BTW I love the silhouette of those boots.  They deserve to be taken to work...

I know what you mean, and I would be 100% comfortable doing so.  They are only 0.75” more heel than what I wear into the office every day, and it would blend right into my usual western boot look.  But I’ll probably keep them mostly indoors for a while so the suede stays clean.  

2 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

Those pull on boots looks really great, @p1ng74.

How high are the heels? And how tall is the shaft?  I appreciate both pull-on and zip-up boots.... they both have merit, I can live nice along both styles ;-) 

Thanks!  They are shorties - 3” heels and 6” shafts.  

• 3 weeks later...

I had the tuxedo out last night so I thought I’d see what they look like with the new boots.  I’m always in western boots, even with the tux, and it ends up working well for all these outdoor wedding gigs I play for.  I do like the look of higher heels though.  A little bit makes a big difference in the way they make the feet look.  

32C54E6E-0EF1-4C4B-96D5-DD6ECA819987.jpeg

F8FF57C3-530C-4D5D-9978-5E564E53F87A.jpeg

• Like 4

Right, and I don’t know if it is just me, but it seems like it adds another touch of dressy-ness, in the same way women wear heels to be more dressy.  

Edited by p1ng74
  • Like 2

Since I have had a happy conclusion with  my wife for a while now that women’s jeans fit me best, I decided to pull out the heels today and work on their acceptance.

I had them on at various times in the morning, and no one said anything.  Then during lunch my 10 year old son asked “why are you wearing high heels” and it was then they my wife noticed and blurted  “those are girls’ shoes!”  I said I liked them and they were comfortable, but she argued that the “girls’ shoes” were anatomically incorrect, and that men have longer toes.  We did a side by side comparison of our feet (we are both size 9) and I do not see the difference, honestly.  Then she wanted to try them on, (she never wears heels, by the way) which I was thrilled to oblige.  As expected, they were too big (heels are a size 10 that runs big) but it does prove that I am wearing the correct size for my feet.  She told me to take them off, and since we were about the leave the house anyway, I changed to the elephant boots with 2.25” heels that she is used to.  I walked around for a while and then she took one look at my shoes and said “take off those girls’ shoes,” at which point I laughed and said see, you can’t tell the difference, they are about the same height heel I usually wear.  

Eventually things calmed down after the initial reaction but she has been poking fun at my “girls’ shoes” every now and then.  I think she sees that it makes me happy and over time she’ll get used to it I think.  In the meantime I am also glad my son is seeing this whole interaction unfold, as I hope he is learning that it is ok to be a little adventurous...

• Like 2

Well, she is used to seeing your in high heel cowboy boots.....Give her time when it comes to the heels, try not to force the issue too much....Needless to say, I am not there and don't know either of you, so am not in a position to advise....My only advice is to take it slowly, maybe put on your heels just occasionally around the house, giving her a chance to "burn off" her objections over time.  Great job with the kids as well, they need to be included in "the process". 

Again, I surely don't speak from a standpoint of having any success with my better half.  I have surely made all the mistakes that have resulted in big problems for us.  But, I can recognize when guys are handling this situation properly, which you are indeed....

• Like 2

I plan to travel in the Antonio Melani knee boots with 4” heels (ruler measures 4.25 with the heel cap) later this week, and since it will involve a bit of walking I pulled them on today and am walking around on a bunch of different surfaces outside to increase confidence.  I am very happy with the way things are going.  There is some good foot support built into these shoes, and uneven surfaces should not be a problem.  In fact, the smaller footprint that results from a raised heel profile actually helps in certain situations.  

C3A48DCC-656C-48D1-B063-63D8D4074A81.jpeg

• Like 5

Yeah buddy!  Get ready for your trip.  It is amazing how comfortable heels can be if the design/quality is well suited to your feet.  Those boots look great, you are sure to get plenty of compliments/inquiries...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

I plan to travel in the Antonio Melani knee boots with 4” heels (ruler measures 4.25 with the heel cap) later this week, and since it will involve a bit of walking I pulled them on today and am walking around on a bunch of different surfaces outside to increase confidence.  I am very happy with the way things are going.  There is some good foot support built into these shoes, and uneven surfaces should not be a problem.  In fact, the smaller footprint that results from a raised heel profile actually helps in certain situations.  

C3A48DCC-656C-48D1-B063-63D8D4074A81.jpeg

Love those boots, look great with that length of trousers, i have some similar and the thicker heels do make it a little easier for walking in, have a great trip mate 

• Thanks 1

This is a challenging time to travel, as it will be over 80 degrees here today but I am going north where it is expected to plummet to 38 tomorrow night.  I packed my winter coat, but that means there is no room for alternate shoes.  I had planned to wear the knee high boots with 4.25” heels anyway, but it appears I will now be fully committed to wearing them for the entire trip!  

I got to the airport 7 hours before the flight because I want to take conference calls without having to be interrupted with the commute to the airport.  While I was standing in line at check-in, a customer service agent addressed me as “ma’am” from behind.  Totally understandable, as all she had to identity me from behind was a pink shirt, black women’s jeans, and 4.25” heels lol.  This is not the first time this has happened to me, even without heels, but I’m sure it was a contributor.  I looked around to see if I am the only one crazy enough to travel in heels, and at check-in found that a couple ladies in 3” booties.  So yes, I am not alone in wearing heels at the airport, but I will likely be the only one crazy enough to do over 4”.  

I fly a lot for work and have no memory of ever traveling on Wednesday morning, and it is amazingly quiet at the airport.  There were literally 3 travelers at the TSA checkpoint, and no one blinked at the 4.25” heels I slipped off and on there.  I am determined not to change any of my general airport habits, so I went for a walk up and down the terminal before settling in at the bar for breakfast and Mimosa.  0.6 miles walked so far today, and now I am sitting at a bar with my heels dangling out to the terminal for all to see lol.  But this is Austin, so I actually blend right in and no one is saying anything. 

F5C6BE6F-7558-4339-BA82-DC9AEC8ECF7D.thumb.jpeg.ffd2e10d8f2ce0ad876218cda1a6952c.jpeg

Edited by p1ng74
  • Like 5

Sounds like a pleasant start to your day. I fly a lot too but  I make a point of wearing something I can walk swiftly in, to beat the rush to passport control and immigration. Not many people seem to wear heels when they travel these days, at least not on this side of the pond.