Howdy - I'm new here and love boots!

p1ng74

I just joined here, and am really glad to have found this place.  I already had a growing affection for western boots, and last year when I started purchasing more boots to wear I also developed an affection towards heels.  It started when I bought a pair of Tony Lamas, initially because I liked the tall 16" shafts, but they also happen to have a 2 3/8" heel.  The first night out with them my wife complimented the way the heels made my feet look, and my interest towards heels and shoe fashion grew from there.

Since then I have worn western boots every day, all day.  I am always on the lookout for taller boots with higher heels.  I might have more footwear now than my wife, and it has to be stored in various closets around the house, LOL. 

I haven't figured out yet how to get into the kind of heights that you all wear here.  I know cowboy boots with high heels exist, though they are in women sizes.  Fortunately I have narrower feet, measured 9C at my favorite custom bootmaker, but I am not sure how that translates to off the shelf shoes.  The other day I was walking through Nordstrom and I almost melted when I saw that one of the sales guys was wearing a pair of lace up boots with 4" block heels.  He was working the women's section, and it's too bad all I did was admire them, rather than walking up and asking him to sell me a pair! 

Anyway, attached is a picture of the elephant boots I am wearing today, just to give an idea of the kind of shoes I wear all the time.  I am open to suggestions on where to go from there! 

olathe3.jpg

• Like 3

Interesting looking boots! I have two pairs of western boots which I've had for 24 and 12 years respectively. As to women's shoe sizes if you are a 9C that would roughly be an 11B. Generally you'll add two sizes to get the right woemn's size but that is a generality. Since most boots are closed toe many can usually go up an additional size but since your foot is narrow an 11B should work. There is no substitute to actually trying them on instead of ordering online and hoping for the best. I'm not sure if you joined our forum because you're actually interested in wearing shoes from the women's side of the aisle or just a general interest in boots. Our site is mostly focused on foot elevation via the high heels whether it's in a boot, sandal, or pump. Thanks for joining and posting. HappyinHeels

• Like 3

I love that there are all sorts of people here who agree that men should have more access to women’s shoe styles.  I joined because I want to embrace this more and expand my comfort zone.  I think I missed an opportunity at Nordstrom the other day, seeing a salesman wearing those 4” heels and not stopping to ask him about them.  Selling shoes is his job, why did I even hesitate?  This should not happen to me again.  

• Like 1

Like your, I like boots. I am a fan of knee and slightly over-the-knee boots, typically with low heels though - it is the overall style of a taller boot that appeals to me not so much the height of the heels. I have a pair of ankle boots with 2.8" cuban heels that I like very much as well though. And like you, I wish there were more boot styles open to men.

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:01 AM, p1ng74 said:

I love that there are all sorts of people here who agree that men should have more access to women’s shoe styles.  I joined because I want to embrace this more and expand my comfort zone.  I think I missed an opportunity at Nordstrom the other day, seeing a salesman wearing those 4” heels and not stopping to ask him about them.  Selling shoes is his job, why did I even hesitate?  This should not happen to me again.  

Dot eat yourself up about it. Just be ready for next time :) 

• Like 2

Hi and welcome to the site, i too love to wear long boots with heels ranging from flat to around 4” both block and stiletto, I don’t consider my boots to be women’s as i wear them as part of male fashion, I’m sure you will find higher heels in your size, be bold and pop into different shoe shops and just try a few pairs, it’s all about experimenting, you can have a lot of fun and you’ll be surprised what you might find 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

Dot eat yourself up about it. Just be ready for next time :) 

Jeremy is right buddy...We have all faced this same situation from time to time....I really get upset when I get a rare compliment about my boots and I just kind of freeze up, saying simply "thank you" instead of starting more of a conversation.  I guess it is kind of like the "deer in the headlights syndrome".   But, you might get another chance....Wear your killer boots back to Nordstroms and see if that sales guy is there, maybe he will be wearing those boots again....If not, compliment him anyway, saying you noticed his boots during your last visit.   I'm sure the sales guy would love to help you try on some heeled boots, hopefully they will have some in size 11 for you...You are lucky to have a great wife who appreciates how nice you look in boots, take her boot shopping with you! 

I have a few pairs of those MJ cowboy boots with 5" heels, not as easy to walk in as my women's boots with stiletto heels.  I am always looking for Frye cowgirl boots with high heels, but they are real tough to find in size 11, so frustrating for sure!   I dream of owning a pair of Paul Bonds with 4-5" heels someday....

Welcome buddy, you look great in killer boots, wish more guys had the guts to wear them proudly....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pebblesf said:

Jeremy is right buddy...We have all faced this same situation from time to time....I really get upset when I get a rare compliment about my boots and I just kind of freeze up, saying simply "thank you" instead of starting more of a conversation.  I guess it is kind of like the "deer in the headlights syndrome".   But, you might get another chance....Wear your killer boots back to Nordstroms and see if that sales guy is there, maybe he will be wearing those boots again....If not, compliment him anyway, saying you noticed his boots during your last visit.   I'm sure the sales guy would love to help you try on some heeled boots, hopefully they will have some in size 11 for you...You are lucky to have a great wife who appreciates how nice you look in boots, take her boot shopping with you! 

I have a few pairs of those MJ cowboy boots with 5" heels, not as easy to walk in as my women's boots with stiletto heels.  I am always looking for Frye cowgirl boots with high heels, but they are real tough to find in size 11, so frustrating for sure!   I dream of owning a pair of Paul Bonds with 4-5" heels someday....

Welcome buddy, you look great in killer boots, wish more guys had the guts to wear them proudly....

I'm heading back that way today - maybe I should make a stop at Nordstrom's! 

I will credit my wife for introducing me to nice things and appreciating them.  Not sure how she feels about it leading to women's shoes, but I think she'll still love me :)  I tried on and complimented her glasses once and she encouraged me to order a pair for myself, despite the fact that they were designed as a women's style.  We rocked matching glasses for a couple years, and it was fun.  However I realize there is more fluidity to glasses fashion than there is to shoes  I quit wear sandals years ago, but I imagine that if I ever got the urge to buy a more open style shoe I wouldn't find anything I liked in the men's section.  Way too much ugly and tacky plastic.  I want a leather sole, distinct heel, and something that will make my feet look good.  

Frye cowboy boots are so nice, and their men's cowboy boots may be the best kept secret in the western world.  The heel and shafts follow the curves of the heel, ankle, and calf much nicer than the mainstream stuff from the big western brands.  Some people probably find it a little feminine, but come on, feet have curves and shape.  If you want squares, just wear the box the shoes came in.  Echo your dream on Paul Bonds.  I might have to make a pilgrimage trip there.  

I offer to take guys boot shopping every time we talk about my boots.  Nobody has taken me up on it.  It seems guys don't like going shopping together like girls do?  

• Like 2

Lexis Boot

This was my latest acquisition for sudo western boots. I wear women's jeans over the boots  with no issues so far. I've been pretty luck in that nobody has noticed in my patch of the sticks. Been through airports, (Didn't make it through the scanners)  pretty much everywhere with these over the last 6 months.

https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/fergalicious-lexis-boot/405030?cm_mmc=CSE-_-GPS-_-G_Shopping_Boots %26 Booties-_-New_Boots %26 Booties&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKCAjwio3dBRAqEiwAHWsNVVL2odRPlzOgp8B52EGmz83mIkELCkz04k86ItQuE3QCdFcv8SYveRoCqXUQAvD_BwE

Edited by Heelster
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

I will credit my wife for introducing me to nice things and appreciating them.  Not sure how she feels about it leading to women's shoes, but I think she'll still love me :)  I tried on and complimented her glasses once and she encouraged me to order a pair for myself, despite the fact that they were designed as a women's style.  We rocked matching glasses for a couple years, and it was fun.  However I realize there is more fluidity to glasses fashion than there is to shoes  I quit wear sandals years ago, but I imagine that if I ever got the urge to buy a more open style shoe I wouldn't find anything I liked in the men's section.  Way too much ugly and tacky plastic.  I want a leather sole, distinct heel, and something that will make my feet look good.  

Frye cowboy boots are so nice, and their men's cowboy boots may be the best kept secret in the western world.  The heel and shafts follow the curves of the heel, ankle, and calf much nicer than the mainstream stuff from the big western brands.  Some people probably find it a little feminine, but come on, feet have curves and shape.  If you want squares, just wear the box the shoes came in.  Echo your dream on Paul Bonds.  I might have to make a pilgrimage trip there.  

I offer to take guys boot shopping every time we talk about my boots.  Nobody has taken me up on it.  It seems guys don't like going shopping together like girls do?  

Always looking for bootbuds to hang and shop with.....Work for the airlines so travel the US a lot, where are you located?

Fryes look great, fit well, and are good quality...I have two pairs of women's cowboy boots...Both have 3" heels, but only one is size 11.  The tan pair of cowgirl boots are size 10, a little small but I have stretched them out a bit.  I also have a vintage pair of "banana" colored Frye campus boots with the 2" block heels.  I am always looking for the Frye cowgirl boots with the tall riding heels, it is so frustrating to find a cool pair but they are always way to small.   Fryes might have a bit of a feminine edge, but they look amazing on confident guys and are super easy to walk in. 

Your wife sounds like a great woman who is secure in your relationship, sure wish I had an accepting partner like that.  How does she feel about your killer cowboy boots with heels?  Does she like to wear boots?  If so, do you go boot shopping with her?  I'm guessing her feet are much smaller though.  The only thing I know is that honesty is the best policy for sure...

Can't wait to hear about your Nordstroms trip!

4 hours ago, Heelster said:

Lexis Boot

This was my latest acquisition for sudo western boots. I wear women's jeans over the boots  with no issues so far. I've been pretty luck in that nobody has noticed in my patch of the sticks. Been through airports, (Didn't make it through the scanners)  pretty much everywhere with these over the last 6 months.

https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/fergalicious-lexis-boot/405030?cm_mmc=CSE-_-GPS-_-G_Shopping_Boots %26 Booties-_-New_Boots %26 Booties&cadevice=c&gclid=CjwKCAjwio3dBRAqEiwAHWsNVVL2odRPlzOgp8B52EGmz83mIkELCkz04k86ItQuE3QCdFcv8SYveRoCqXUQAvD_BwE

great looking boots for any occasion!

Edited by pebblesf
addition
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pebblesf said:

Always looking for bootbuds to hang and shop with.....Work for the airlines so travel the US a lot, where are you located

Your wife sounds like a great woman who is secure in your relationship, sure wish I had an accepting partner like that.  How does she feel about your killer cowboy boots with heels?  Does she like to wear boots?  If so, do you go boot shopping with her?  I'm guessing her feet are much smaller though.  The only thing I know is that honesty is the best policy for sure...

Can't wait to hear about your Nordstroms trip!

I live in Texas, and I sometimes travel for work too, though not as much lately.  I assume based on your user name you are based out of SF?

My wife likes my tastes towards western boots, and she has complimented the way the heels make my feet look.  More generally, she has said that she is happy that I have found confident conscienceness in what I wear.  She doesn’t really wear boots, though she wore my Justin’s once and was amazed at how comfortable they were, so she is on the search now.  We go shoe shopping together every now and then, but I tend to be a much slower shopper than she is, so I go shopping alone when I travel as well.  I think we have built a lot of mutual trust in each other on fashion over the years.  She can see every day that she has been the primary influence of my tastes.  Plus, I let her get anything she wants on Zappos so we both know that we have our moments of indulgence in footwear.  

Didn’t make it to Nordstrom’s tonight - multiple people stopped to talk to me as I was leaving the office.  But on the drive home I realized I sort of need a new pair of slippers or something to wear around the house, especially now that the weather is getting cooler.  Do they make slippers with heels? LOL

• Like 2

On 9/18/2018 at 1:41 PM, p1ng74 said:

I haven't figured out yet how to get into the kind of heights that you all wear here.  I know cowboy boots with high heels exist, though they are in women sizes.  Fortunately I have narrower feet, measured 9C at my favorite custom bootmaker, but I am not sure how that translates to off the shelf shoes.  The other day I was walking through Nordstrom and I almost melted when I saw that one of the sales guys was wearing a pair of lace up boots with 4" block heels.  He was working the women's section, and it's too bad all I did was admire them, rather than walking up and asking him to sell me a pair! 

Look at Nordstrom's shoe site. The link below is to today's knee high boots, 246 different ones, heel height, size to narrow your selection. Have fun. Not all heels are in the store.

https://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-knee-high?campaign=0910bootshdrc&jid=j009473-6476&cid=qyezy&cm_sp=merch-_-shoes_6476_j009473-_-cathead_shoebootswmn_p01_shop

Edited by Cali

Nordstrom's is heralded for two things setting it apart from most retailers. Firstly they specifically have shoes in larger sizes which accommodates more of our members here. Secondly they generally have the best reputation for customer service which includes men being taken care of when looking for "women's heels". Nordstrom Rack, the discount division of the same company, is what I call "the Shoe Disneyland". I make it a point to stop when a chance presents itself. HappyinHeels

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:40 AM, Cali said:

Look at Nordstrom's shoe site. The link below is to today's knee high boots, 246 different ones, heel height, size to narrow your selection. Have fun. Not all heels are in the store.

https://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-knee-high?campaign=0910bootshdrc&jid=j009473-6476&cid=qyezy&cm_sp=merch-_-shoes_6476_j009473-_-cathead_shoebootswmn_p01_shop

Thanks for this Link, @Cali. Their shipping costs are a little prohibitive... but I enjoyed browsing their site. I immediately found some stunning options, such as these Jessica Simpsons:  https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/jessica-simpson-stargaze-boot-women/5050058 (which also seems to be one of the cheapest options!!) 

as well as some lovely tall wedge boots like these https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/charles-by-charles-david-holly-wedge-boot-women/4934817

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:52 AM, Heelster said:

Lexis Boot

These look great, @Heelster. DSW has some fab styles and I particularly enjoyed their wedge category!

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:54 PM, p1ng74 said:

You seem to be lucky,  @ p1ng74 - as others have said, be open with your wife and I am confident she will support you, according to what you are describing.  Good luck and keep us posted!!

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:42 AM, p1ng74 said:

I live in Texas, and I sometimes travel for work too, though not as much lately.  I assume based on your user name you are based out of SF?

My wife likes my tastes towards western boots, and she has complimented the way the heels make my feet look.  More generally, she has said that she is happy that I have found confident conscienceness in what I wear.  She doesn’t really wear boots, though she wore my Justin’s once and was amazed at how comfortable they were, so she is on the search now.  We go shoe shopping together every now and then, but I tend to be a much slower shopper than she is, so I go shopping alone when I travel as well.  I think we have built a lot of mutual trust in each other on fashion over the years.  She can see every day that she has been the primary influence of my tastes.  Plus, I let her get anything she wants on Zappos so we both know that we have our moments of indulgence in footwear.  

Didn’t make it to Nordstrom’s tonight - multiple people stopped to talk to me as I was leaving the office.  But on the drive home I realized I sort of need a new pair of slippers or something to wear around the house, especially now that the weather is getting cooler.  Do they make slippers with heels? LOL

Work for AA, based in Boston, so I get to DFW frequently...Don

45 minutes ago, pebblesf said:

Work for AA, based in Boston, so I get to DFW frequently...Don

Oh yeah I bet.  The saying used to be that you can fly anywhere in the world from Austin... as long as you go through DFW first.  Work has taken me exclusively to Houston lately, though I just found out I will be taking a trip to Palo Alto CA next month.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Oh yeah I bet.  The saying used to be that you can fly anywhere in the world from Austin... as long as you go through DFW first.  Work has taken me exclusively to Houston lately, though I just found out I will be taking a trip to Palo Alto CA next month.  

I layover in Houston and Austin also,  LAX frequently as well...D

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pebblesf said:

I layover in Houston and Austin also,  LAX frequently as well...D

If you like western boots I hope you have been able to go boot shopping out here during layovers.  I have some favorite stores in the Houston, San Antonio, and Austin areas.  Allen Boots is probably the closest one of interest to an airport, and it’s fun to walk around South Congress.  There is also a custom boot maker there but I still haven’t made it in there during hours they are open.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pebblesf said:

Love western boots with higher heels, will surely investigate Allen Boots!

It is a big store but still pretty mainstream in their own way.  Almost everything is in 2” Cuban heels, even over on the Ladies side.  Tons of men sizes but I did notice that ladies size 11 is almost nonexistent, like 1/8th the selection of more regular sizes.  The far end of the store is a Lucchese custom show room, which often has cool looking ideas and I imagine they can make anything...

On the other hand, some of these working cowboy stores outside of the city can have some amazing tall top boots that end up being more of what I like.