Cali World

Cali

It was something I had known about for almost 20 years, I knew it would need to come out someday. During that time the operation changed from a 6 month recovery period (20 years ago) to just a 6 week recovery now.

• Like 1

Too many bad side effects if I had let it go any longer. Luckly I was able to travel to one of the premire hospitals for this type of surgery in the US.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

Okay, I'll post a public interaction.

Last week I went to Costco and used one of their electric carts to shop.  I was followed out by a women so she could help me load my car and return the cart.

She comment that she had seen me before in heels and wanted to know how I could walk in them, "don't they hurt?"

I told her that I don't wear shoes that hurt and that wearing heels helps with my hip pain. She was speechless.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cali said:

It's been cold and rainy for the past week.  One a brief moment of sunlight I tried out my new JS Therisa.  I happy with these.

JS Therisa 2sh.jpg

A size too large??

46 minutes ago, Jkrenzer said:

Short toes, wouldn't mind those myself. 

Me either 😂 it’s annoying having toes like fingers, if they were just proportioned slightly differently to my feet I’d be able to fit in much more petite shoes 🙄😂

• Like 1

Oddly enough, I have been accumulating wooden heels lately. I'll have to get going and post some pictures. This is a style that I hope is coming back. Athough this particular JS model is on the chunkier side of what I personally like, I would wear them.

• Like 1

Sandals with 4 + inch heels are hard to come by nowadays. And those that fit are even harder to find.

Edited by Cali

On 5/6/2023 at 1:17 PM, Cali said:

It's been cold and rainy for the past week.  One a brief moment of sunlight I tried out my new JS Therisa.  I happy with these.

JS Therisa 2sh.jpg

JS Therisa 3sh.jpg

Look really nice! I don't have any of these styles, but still working figuring out my style, so am not opposed to it. If it's wood, does it provide more stability?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hiddenheels said:

Look really nice! I don't have any of these styles, but still working figuring out my style, so am not opposed to it. If it's wood, does it provide more stability?

If I may jump in here, I can probably answer that one, being the owner of more than a dozen pairs of wooden heels. First, it is rather unlikely that one is going to get actual hunks of hardwood in this price range, but second, it doesn't really matter as far as stability goes. I have wooden heels that are real, and many that are simulated, made from a variety of materials. The fact that it is wood does not intrinsically make it more or less stable in my experience. A number of other factors affect how the shoe walks much more than the material. Where it does matter is the sound. Actual wood or wood product does have a distinct sound compared to plastic.

That would make for an interesting video (or audio recording, as the case may be). Concerning the instant pair of sandals, another problem with not being real wood, and this is a problem I've had consistently with Jessica Simpson shoes, is that the molded unit bottom will split transversely in half directly beneath the ball of the foot. This seems to have happened on every pair of JS I've ever owned save one. Maybe it's just me.

1 hour ago, mlroseplant said:

That would make for an interesting video (or audio recording, as the case may be). Concerning the instant pair of sandals, another problem with not being real wood, and this is a problem I've had consistently with Jessica Simpson shoes, is that the molded unit bottom will split transversely in half directly beneath the ball of the foot. This seems to have happened on every pair of JS I've ever owned save one. Maybe it's just me.

It certainly ‘wood’. I did have quick search on youtube to see if I could find a clip of someone walking in wooden heels but all I could find were people walking on wooden floors haha 

Very long but interesting day today.  I am on a governing board and today we had our final meeting for the year. I was early and went to sit and work on some papers. Upon entering a friend asked if I was wear Freebird? I was. It turns out that Freebirds are one of her favorite brands. Instead of working on my papers before the meeting, we had a discussion on Freebirds. We both have multiple pairs of the same model.

6 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

If I had a dollar for every time some drunken patron has asked me to play Free Bird, I'd be a rich man.

Same, except I would charge them Ticketmaster fees as well. 

• Haha 1

I have known and worked with this woman for at least a decade. Her (now) husband and I were in grad school together in the early 80's.  Earlier this year, when on a rainy day I had on blue faux suede knee high boots, she asked me "didn't you get the memo, you don't wear suede in the rain?"

I told her, "I got the memo, these are faux."

===

I also got a random "I like your boots" from a group of 20ish women walking by.

Now, if I had a dollar for everytime I've heard that .........

Edited by Cali

Today I wore Steve Madden lace-up sandals.  A woman from a group that has been telling me they love my heels as they walk past my office, saw me walking to a meeting and said "you always slay with your heels."

• Like 3

I hope that is not actually true, because if it is, I probably need to report you to the authorities. I do find it interesting that we never use that word in that past tense, either. And if we did, I'm sure the grammar would be wrong.

15 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

I hope that is not actually true, because if it is, I probably need to report you to the authorities. I do find it interesting that we never use that word in that past tense, either. And if we did, I'm sure the grammar would be wrong.

That is an interesting thought.   In the UK, one might sometimes hear 'you slay me', or similar.  (An informal use; not one in my lexicon.)   The accepted meaning of 'slay' in this context appears to be 'to greatly impress or amuse (someone)' and I assume that this is what was intended in Cali's encounter.   However, the past tense ('slew') takes on a very different meaning in UK slang, where it apparently means 'to make a public mockery of someone through insult or wit'.

I can see therefore the impossibility of proper comprehension if Cali's commentator had said: 'You always slay with your heels' (= 'I'm impressed') and he had then told us: 'The woman said that I slew her because of my heel wearing' (= Cali had allegedly made a mockery of her).   Two very different messages.

It would be sensible to refrain from vague slang in such circumstances, quite aside from any possible differences between US and UK usage.  Let 'slay' (in all tenses) mean just 'kill with violence'.

Here the slang "slay" means kill, as in "you kill that look". But I also slayed a gopher yesterday too. However, I like to say I helped the gopher transtion to the after life.

Edited by Cali

5 hours ago, Cali said:

Here the slang "slay" means kill, as in "you kill that look". But I also slayed a gopher yesterday too. However, I like to say I helped the gopher transtion to the after life.

So, are you saying that the comment 'You always slay with your heels' meant that you were considered to have killed (i.e. spoiled/ruined) your appearance by wearing heels?   That is not what I inferred from your original post but can't see any other interpretation of 'kill that look'.

I recall, some years ago, drafting a complex commercial agreement for a colleague to present to a potential customer.   Afterwards, I asked her how the presentation had gone and was told 'They were cool with it'.   I assumed that this meant lukewarm or indifferent, at best, although she actually meant that they were content.   Two parties divided by a common language!

In fashion, the word slay is used to say you killed the look, you nailed that look, .  Just today I got an email/ad from Steve Madden, title 9 Slay-Worthy Styles

From the mouth of Google:

“Slay" is a slang term used to describe someone who has done so exceptionally well that they killed it, hence “slay.”

• Like 1