Cali World

Cali

9 hours ago, vector said:

You might want to try Nine West "To The Flo".  Wedge pumps with about a 4.5 inch heel.

Thanks for the suggestion @vector but unfortunately, I have a large volume toe box, very thick. I have NEVER tried on a pump that didn't hurt, and I mean painful!!!  I don't even try on pumps anymore.  But there are plenty of other heels for me because I am a woman's size 10 (11 in some).

• 3 weeks later...

BEATERS 

Do you have a pair that you slip on to run errands in? Comfortable and joy to walk in? They have seen better days but your not even close to parting with them.

Well here's mine. I have a new pair still in their box...

Beater02HH.JPG

Beater01HH.JPG

Beater03HH.JPG

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 5:56 PM, Cali said:

BEATERS 

Do you have a pair that you slip on to run errands in? Comfortable and joy to walk in? They have seen better days but your not even close to parting with them.

Well here's mine. I have a new pair still in their box...

I don't  really have a pair of "beaters" any more, perhaps not in the true sense of the word. Actually, I do have such a pair, but I keep them for sentimental reasons, not because I ever wear them. My beaters are these BCBGirls Bonny sandals, which have been featured a number of times elsewhere. They are well worn, but not so horrible looking (at least from the outside) that I won't wear them out to the grocery store, or some such errand. In fact, they are my favorite summer walking shoes. They have been pounded on the streets of downtown Chicago for two days straight. As I've stated elsewhere, I have two new identical pair, one of which I've now worn enough to feel comfortable in, but they're just not the same as the old pair. Now I've got to make a decision. The right heel is within a few short miles of wearing clear through. Do I spend the money to get these old gals re-heeled? I'm considering it.

BonnyBeaters1.JPG

BonnyBeaters2.JPG

• Like 1

I put this in the Who has bought new shoes thread but here is a picture.  Jessica Simpson Mishka.

The shoes are just too big. Where's my toes?.  Even in these, the strap over the toe box is tight. I like the color and the croc print on the leather, but back they must go.

MishkaHH.jpg

Edited by Cali

They're tight across the toe box even in this big size so I would even try the smaller size.  Too bad because I don't have anything in that color. But I have many shoes and only two feet, so I'll survive.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a month since I did my last mani/pedi. Polish off the fingers for another week, too busy using my hands to let the polish dry.  Sitting out in the sun tanning my legs for the legs competition photo while doing a pedi and editing work.  Only 100 more to go by Tuesday morning, then start a new 3 week project.  I was so hoping for a few days off.  Maybe in August.

Got to get the toes ready for open toe heels, basically all I wear in the summer.

Since I have had only limited ventures out into the real world in the past few months (I'm quite busy working from home), I ventured to the open air market this weekend. No cherries or apricots, maybe next week, but pluots, peaches, and nectarines. My garden is giving me salad and beans. But as I entered I notice a woman looking at me differently and then she mumbled something I could hear under her mask. I asked "What?" and she said, I love your heels, I have the same pair and I wish I could wear them and walk like you do."  In this time of social distancing all I said was "thanks" and we parted.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since this pandemic started I have greatly limited my trips into the "real world", spending only several minutes a day in "public". I have also been very busy working from home, so my interactions with people have been minimal.  Yesterday I was standing in line to get into a store. There were two women sitting in different cars talking across the parking lot. (Turns out they each had boyfriends/husbands in the store already.)  First one got out and shouted " I wish I could still wear heels like that, I just love it". When she got back in the car, the other woman got out of her car and shouted she just loved my style.  My interactions with people has been limited since March, so it nice when you get unexpected compliments.  Stay safe. Stay at least 4 inches higher.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2020 at 9:25 AM, Cali said:

Since this pandemic started I have greatly limited my trips into the "real world", spending only several minutes a day in "public". I have also been very busy working from home, so my interactions with people have been minimal.  Yesterday I was standing in line to get into a store. There were two women sitting in different cars talking across the parking lot. (Turns out they each had boyfriends/husbands in the store already.)  First one got out and shouted " I wish I could still wear heels like that, I just love it". When she got back in the car, the other woman got out of her car and shouted she just loved my style.  My interactions with people has been limited since March, so it nice when you get unexpected compliments.  Stay safe. Stay at least 4 inches higher.

What was your outfit like?

Love the concluding "Stay at least 4 inches higher." :)

I've been in a shoe rut. Been wearing my steve madden wedges for the last 2-3 weeks.  So I decide to switch it up and wear these steve madden mules to work.  I getting use to this six-step-commute.

ruthh.JPG

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cali said:

I've been in a shoe rut. Been wearing my steve madden wedges for the last 2-3 weeks.  So I decide to switch it up and wear these steve madden mules to work.  I getting use to this six-step-commute.

Yes, I know what you mean. I've also been wearing largely the same pair of shoes for the last several weeks. I try to change it up every once in a while, but I always end up coming back. Part of a consequence of really having no place to go. I have actually been wearing my new Diane von Furstenberg wedge mules to go to the grocery store, and other such incidental errands, but they are kind of a pain to get on and off. It certainly is not a "no hands" operation. My BCBGirls Bonny mules are at once very comfortable to walk in, and yet very easy to slip on and off without hands, so that's what I've been wearing 90% of the time. How boring!

The biggest problem with the DVF wedges is that they've got a leather sole. Why would you ever put a thin leather sole on the bottom of a platform wedge? Which means, I can't wear them if it's been raining at all, or they'll be ruined in a New York minute. And speaking of rain, that reminds me of a story you might appreciate, being from California. My ex-wife is from southern California, Orange County to be more specific. When she moved to Iowa some 25 years ago, we were driving around out in the countryside, and she innocently wondered out loud, "Where are all the irrigation rigs out in the farm fields?" To which I replied, "Oh, the irrigation rigs are built-in. We have developed a very effective irrigation system here.  .  . It's called rain."

• Like 2

Classic Iowa comeback! I like that. There actually are at least two areas I know of in the MIdwest where the majority of fields are irrigated. A small area is in Northern Indiana. Another larger area is the Central Sands Area of central Wisconsin. It stretches from Wautoma to Stevens Point and Weyauwega to nearly Marshfield. The soil is such that it doesn't hold water well at all so there are irrigation ditches and canals and all sorts of irrigation equipment as if one were in an arid or semiarid area. Not a desert but the soil mimics what happens in the desert. HinH

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

Classic Iowa comeback! I like that. There actually are at least two areas I know of in the MIdwest where the majority of fields are irrigated. A small area is in Northern Indiana. Another larger area is the Central Sands Area of central Wisconsin. It stretches from Wautoma to Stevens Point and Weyauwega to nearly Marshfield. The soil is such that it doesn't hold water well at all so there are irrigation ditches and canals and all sorts of irrigation equipment as if one were in an arid or semiarid area. Not a desert but the soil mimics what happens in the desert. HinH

There is also an area in extreme western Iowa where you might run across some "California style" irrigation rigs. Certainly once you cross the border into Nebraska, you will see them regularly. It still doesn't change my opinion that putting leather soles on platform shoes is dumb. I guess I should post a picture of these things, I don't think I have yet.

On 6/26/2020 at 8:43 PM, Cali said:

Rain in Summer????? You must be kidding? Actual rain?  WOW

Yep - we get rain all summer. Once it gets hot and muggy, a thunderstorm is likely. Usually hits about the time you get out of work, and your riding a Motorcycle.

32 minutes ago, Cali said:

We rarely get muggy, maybe 5 days a year max.  I've been in 90+ humidity where you need to take a shower to dry off, you can keep it..

Cali you live in a fringe dessert. It's why you have the huge fires. Every place has good and bad. 

7 hours ago, Cali said:

We rarely get muggy, maybe 5 days a year max.  I've been in 90+ humidity where you need to take a shower to dry off, you can keep it..

Jeez, Cali. You keep reminding me about my ex-wife. The first time I ever visited Orange County, it was one of those 5 days, and I can still remember the bitching to this day. It seemed like kind of a nice sunny day to me! I just didn't know any better. My ex-wife used to say that in historic southern California, they didn't have to worry about spending so much time and energy trying to keep warm or cool in order to keep from dying, which freed up a lot of intellectual capital. Which Californians used to develop valuable and innovative things.  .  . like the perfect fake fingernail. :giggle:

Never said my ex-wife didn't have a great and wacky sense of humor. I'm just glad I don't have to live with her anymore.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cali said:

Our state ride is the Earthquake, but we get everything, even a tornado - of course they only hit mobile homes here.

In my part of the sticks, we have a joke - - What does a West Virginia Divorce and a Tornado have in common - - Someone is gonna lose a trailer !!

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Taking a break and putting my feet up at work. Plan to work from home until Aug. 2021. And I'm on our re-opening team.

Feet uphh.JPG

Edited by Cali
  • Like 7

Its been a cool week with heavy fog most of the week, under 74.Today we have a tropical storm coming up from the gulf of california giving "heavy drizzle" . I have over 50 pairs, so I have to force myself to not wear the slip on Steve Madden mules everyday.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cali said:

Its been a cool week with heavy fog most of the week, under 74.Today we have a tropical storm coming up from the gulf of california giving "heavy drizzle" . I have over 50 pairs, so I have to force myself to not wear the slip on Steve Madden mules everyday.

I like the thinner heels on these,  but you know I'm a stiletto guy.

They're Jessica Simpson Rockin. JS run a little narrow, so they are a size 11.  Hope JS brings these back for next season, I would like 1 or 2 more pairs.  It took me a while, but I am now very comfortable out in public with these knee high boots on the outside. I do get a lot of second looks in these, specially in the summer.

Now for something the others might like as well,

today's heels for work

Manji.jpg

• Like 1