Costa in boots

maninboots

If you want to stand out, of course it is possible, there’s nothing preventing you, if that’s what you want to do. The point is you don’t need  to and that wearing knee boots, with or without heels, can be tasteful, subtle and elegant

I might add that I have some brown suede OTK boots (low heels) that would also blend in quite easily. 

On the other hand if I wanted to I'm sure I could contrive a way to make my boots stand out - I don't feel the need. Exhibitionism isn't my thing. 

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 2

To be honest i could and would wear any pair of boots you want to give me round any busy city centre in the uk you want to take me to and i would guarantee worn with the right styling nobody would bat an eyelid, it’s not about the length of shaft, the height of heels or even the colour, it’s how you style them with the rest of your outfit and the confidence and abilities to act natural as if you’ve got every right to wear what you’re wearing,  I’m here in a busy Costa again with knee high boots on full show and nothing more than the odd smile from someone, it’s much easier to pull off than you think, let’s get this to become a trend people 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Shyheels said:

Neither sex needs to wear knee boots these days - the women you see striding along the city streets in their knee boots, or waiting in the railway platforms for their commuter trains, do not have motorcycles or horses waiting to be ridden, Boots are part of their overall look; they are theatrical in that regard. Theatricality in dress is frowned upon in men. We are supposed to be sober, serious, part of the herd, not standing out. A guy wearing knee boots would indeed be expected to have a horse or motorcycle very nearby but the fact that I don’t just seems to slip by unnoticed. Nor was my overall look in anyway theatrical - nor is Maninboots’’ look either, nor P1ng74’s, nor HeeledSteve, nor others on this thread. 

I think the ideas that needs to be promoted are that - 1) tall boots worn tastefully do not really stand out, and 2) that a touch of theatricality is perfectly permissible for men and should be. 

We don’t need something until the situation presents itself.  Our choice of shoes, and clothes in general, reflects a state of mental and physical readiness for situations that we think we might be in.  Yes, it is theatrical, but it primes the pump of confidence in all the planned and unplanned activities of my day.  When a woman decides to cover their calves with knee high boots in the morning, they might be thinking about how cold it could be later while waiting for the train, or how wet it might be from rain.  If they want to look more dressy for a dinner later, then the height of the heel might also be a consideration.  It just takes a little bit of effort to discover how classic clothing is still relevant and beneficial to a modern lifestyle.  

Most men that I interact with don’t seem to have the interest or motivation to extend their state of readiness.  When I first started a stable full time job in an office, I transitioned to wearing dress shoes all day and was generally unsatisfied.  They become uncomfortable at the end of the day, and if I do any amount of walking in them the heels and soles would almost instantly wear out.  It is no wonder that most white collar workers throw the dress shoes off immediately at the end of their shift, and walk around in cheesy sneakers when going out for drinks and dinner.  This all changed when I discovered leather boots!  These are shoes meant to be walked in and worked in.  After 13 hours at the office, they feel so good that instead of kicking them off and hopping on the couch, I am ready to go out for a walk through the park and dinner.  

And yes, you don’t have to stand out to be ready.  If we treat boots as just a logical extension of the of existing practice, and wear them under the pants, etc. then you are presenting yourself as wearing nice shoes, no big deal.  But the option is always there, to go with wilder colors and materials, and we should not be ashamed to express our mental and physical confidence in the way that we wear shoes.  

Edited by p1ng74
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 3:43 AM, Shyheels said:

Neither sex needs to wear knee boots these days - the women you see striding along the city streets in their knee boots, or waiting in the railway platforms for their commuter trains, do not have motorcycles or horses waiting to be ridden, Boots are part of their overall look; they are theatrical in that regard. ...

On 11/18/2018 at 2:59 PM, p1ng74 said:

We don’t need something until the situation presents itself.  Our choice of shoes, and clothes in general, reflects a state of mental and physical readiness for situations that we think we might be in.  Yes, it is theatrical, but it primes the pump of confidence in all the planned and unplanned activities of my day.  When a woman decides to cover their calves with knee high boots in the morning, they might be thinking about how cold it could be later while waiting for the train, or how wet it might be from rain.  If they want to look more dressy for a dinner later, then the height of the heel might also be a consideration.  It just takes a little bit of effort to discover how classic clothing is still relevant and beneficial to a modern lifestyle.  ...

Just catching-up with this interesting thread.

I'm sure it is as much considerations of warmth and comfort as it is those of fashion that promote knee-boots amongst women.   Obviously, looks and outfit co-ordination are relevant to most women on many occasions but, unless wearing trousers, they are at some disadvantage compared with men when it comes to covering and protecting their pins.   If men wore skirts (no further comment!), they too might be more inclined to wear longer boots.   I certainly agree however that long boots should be acceptable male wear, and that a modest heel on any 'male' boot can look very stylish, as well as remaining easy to wear.   I enjoy my cuban-heeled ankle boots as well as those in my avatar, but only under trousers.

As to men wearing heeled boots in Costa etc, I have mixed feelings.   Nothing at all against the 'look' (if one can carry it off) but I'm not keen on Costa or its competitors - over-priced, over-hyped and not particularly tasty - but if it is a purely social occasion rather than a refreshment stop, then fine.   (I am also influenced by owning another property that happens to be a flat above a Costa shop - so I know the manager and staff and would find heel-wearing there more than a tad awkward, especially as my wife most certainly disapproves!   And I hardly need to buy coffee there when I can make it upstairs for pennies.)   Given that Coca Cola is reputed to be mounting a takeover for Costa, the opportunities for alternative beverages (and maybe beer, later) seem to be growing.

I'm as haughty a coffee snob as anyone's ever likely to meet but as a mainstream place to chill out in heels Costa seems as good as any.  

Yes, tall boots certainly offer warmth. I hadn't fully realised what I was missing in terms of comfort until I started wearing my knee boots on chilly days. I had always liked them for their styling, but now I like them for function and comfort as well.

• Like 1

Well in downtown Paris of course there are a number of "cafés" that are replaced with "brasseries" along the big avenues.

I have seen starbucks mainly on highway stations, and at major train stations, maybe airports.

In suburbs and small towns centers you always find at least one "café / PMU / bar / tabac / sometimes restaurant" where mainly smokers and bettors go in daytime, and employees of some nearby companies for lunch. Not many women there, and even less in heels. There the coffe is the best though.

(1st time I use the word bettor. May google translate be with me. PMU is the local bet organisation for horseraces)

On the contrary, in malls, you find only fast foods or sandwicheries where you can have a seat and a coffee no better than the coffe machine (poor).

30 minutes ago, HeeledSteve said:

There are better places to drink coffee in Paris than any Costa you would find. It is just that they are everywhere here in the UK, so it's convenient not the best coffee though

If I’m really honest the coffee is only the secondary reason i go to Costa so often, don’t think I really have to tell you my first reason, think that’s pretty obvious from previous posts in this thread 

32 minutes ago, maninboots said:

If I’m really honest the coffee is only the secondary reason i go to Costa so often, don’t think I really have to tell you my first reason, think that’s pretty obvious from previous posts in this thread 

It sure is! And I think it’s great. 

• Like 2

Starbucks is doing well in Paris despite of the numerous nice little cafes and bigger brasseries because Starbucks offers a full range of pastries and other food. What you can't really find in the small cafes. Only a poor croissant from yesterday. 

Some exceptions of course ,some cafes are offering a lot of nice food.But only a few and often located in a small street  

i personality don't like Starwood.i hate waiting 5 ( or more) minutes standing for a coffe that is often too strong and very bitter. The pastries are too sweet and way  too  fat.

Not a fan either, and for the same reason - although I tend to find the chain store coffee insipid and lukewarm. I like good espresso and Turkish coffee and am happy to search out nice funky little independent coffee houses that make it well - and remember them for next time!

Thanks for the translation help.

Maninboots I get it but can't figure how you can spend such an amount of time in Costa and malls in general, and alone on week ends furthermore.

I suppose this is the one place where you can connect to the internet, or to hhplace at least ?

Edited by Gudulitooo

10 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I can't speak for Maninboots, but these places are entertaining in terms of people watching and generally have a relaxed ambience.

Yeah shyheels you’ve about summed it up there, i do tend to visit these places alone as the wife only really supports my wearing heels at home, she knows i wear them in public but doesn’t like to accompany me wearing them 

• Like 1

I’m back here again, had to work yesterday so couldn’t make it, I’m a little later than normal, wearing my snake print stiletto ankle boots, the place was quite full so had to walk in past a lot of people, some regulars said good morning but nothing untoward to report 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

Good to hear you’re keeping up your weekend routine. I’m having coffee and wearing my boots - but here at home working on some illustrations over an espresso. Nothing terribly exciting. But probably better coffee!

Yeah i don’t doubt that, let’s keep showing those boots off 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 9:16 PM, maninboots said:

Yeah shyheels you’ve about summed it up there, i do tend to visit these places alone as the wife only really supports my wearing heels at home, she knows i wear them in public but doesn’t like to accompany me wearing them 

You mean you blend in the crowd and are a nobody there?