Sign in to follow this  
JeffB

How To Start A Blog

Question

I’ve been thinking about starting a blog, but how do you do it?

4 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

Not hard. Figure out a domain name and purchase it, if it is available. Have several ideas handy because so many names have already been taken. You can purchase the names from resellers such as Go Daddy or Dreamhost - there are lots of providers. I use Dreamhost. They are quite good and include privacy settings in the price of the domain name - $11.95 a year and you can buy several years at once if you like.

Then you need to pay for hosting. Again there are lots of hosting providers with all sorts of plans. Again, I use Dreamhost. They seem pretty good.. a pretty big and respective firm I have recently switched to them and am pleased thus far. My old host was excellent to start but were bought out and became really bad.

After that you click a few buttons in your account, make your domain live and install Wordpress - the software that will run your blog. There are others but Wordpress is the overwhelming favourite. It is very stable, solid - and free. And simple to install - one click.

Then it is a matter of design. There are all sorts of free themes you can use, some of which will be included in your installation of Wordpress. Or you can pay for themes which have a lot of very nice and easy to use options that allow you to do some quite pleasing designs and colours. I use Elegant Themes Divi which is a premium theme - you have to pay for it, but it’s not much and I thought it totally worthwhile. You might want to start off with the free one and get the hang of it then go with something flashier. I can recommend Elegant Themes highly. Great support. Loads of themes and all richly customisable. And so easy. Like snapping together Lego blocks.

The themes are easy to install - one click. And you can change with one click too. There are also optional things called plug ins you can install - again, one click. These do perform extra functions - such as giving you a contact page by which your readers can contact you. A very useful plug in is Akismet - free - which protects your blog from spam comments. Install it!

Then it is a matter of designing your website - something I find fun and rather addictive. And then writing and illustrating your posts. 

I am happy to help if you have any questions.

Edited by Shyheels

I'm sorry, I meant to ask how to start a blog here at HHP.

Posted (edited)

Why start another place to post your thoughts and experiences?  The way you are currently posting about your exploits and adventures seems to be just the place for those of us that are interested in following you.  Especially those of us that have been with you since the beginning.  In other words, keep on keeping on and we'll keep commenting and supporting you with our appreciation and thanks, where ever you appear.

Edited by Bubba136
Spacing
  • Like 1

Hmm! You have a point there, Bubba. Thanks for the opinion.