Looks like I’m moving...

30 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

Sounds like you have things pretty well sorted!  As you say, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'm sure you'll be fine.

There’s definitely still a level of nervousness surrounding the move. You could almost say I’m shaking in my boots... ha!

On 9/4/2018 at 1:20 PM, Heelster said:

I'll agree to that. Just small rentals are way out of the ball park. My daughters 900 sq. ft. apartment in Sunnyvale is $3100.00

Glad you found cheap affordable housing for your daughter.

Edited by Cali

1 hour ago, KneeBooted said:

There’s definitely still a level of nervousness surrounding the move. You could almost say I’m shaking in my boots... ha!

Good job you have tall boots - the shafts give better stability when you're shaking in them! 

• Like 1

KneeBooted......   I imagine you have checked the home prices / rents in PA??  Pretty darn costly.  Since you been out here before, you know what you are getting into.   Like you said, you have the option to return if thangs don’t work out.  

And, there are a LOT of Tesla’s driving around out here.  

I am in south San Jose, commuting from there to PA would be brutal, public transit is marginal and CA gas hovers around 4 bucks a gallon.   

BTW, you speak Spanish??  I do, comes in very handy......

But, like you and others have said, the weather is nice......

All the best to you and your family.....     sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Kneebooted,

I had not thought of the manufactured home angle because I have never seen them in the Bay Area but if it is viable then you should definitely explore it. I know a Navy friend of mine has lived in the Flagstaff area for over 20 years in a colony of manufactured all set on 1-2 acre lots. It was the only way he could afford to call Flag home. It would appear the same strategy may work for you. Perhaps, among the uber-regulatory climate in  CA there are some areas where manufactured homes are allowed and that would be the key. If you have the kind of flexibility to just move back then it may be worth the effort to try out CA. IF you go then waste no time seeing the offerings; from Napa Valley to Muir Woods, to Yosemite and Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, to countless individual drives all around the state. The Golden State, though beset with problems, offers the greatest single array of attractions both natural and man-made of any of our fifty states. If you live there a decent amount of time and saw everything you could see and then move back to KY you'll honestly be able to say you got the most out of it. There is NO regret in that. All the scary stuff I said before still applies but if you can make a go of it then you should. HappyinHeels

Look at Google maps and you'll see there are Mobile home park around.  Like most places, when a tornado hits (yes we get them, small ones) they b-line for those parks... 

If you mean homes that are constructed in parts at a plant shipped and assemble, then we have those too. I plan to use one that is made using steel.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I thought I should post an update. I am currently in Rock Springs, WY and hanging out while the car charges. It’s been an uneventful drive. The scenery has been pretty and the weather has been in the 70s, but now in Wyoming, it’s hanging out in the low-mid 40s.

I will get into Palo Alto sometime tomorrow. I haven’t been wearing any heels on the trip because I’ve been sitting in the car the majority of the time.

I did bring some with me, but I probably won’t break them out until tomorrow lol

• Like 3

Rock Springs, Wyoming - wow, that takes me back. Summer of 1980 when I was working in Wyoming on a job that took me all over that state. Kinda nice memories, if rather hazy at this vast remove in time. Young, fit, free, sunny summer days...

• Like 1

Kneebooted,

Once you see the beehive of activity in CA you may long for the peace of Rock Springs, Wyoming. Just days after I retired at the end of April we towed a car I had been using for work to NW Mexico and stopped to eat in Rock Springs for dinner. We took Interstate 80 via Wyoming instead of our usual route through Colorado as the Wyoming mountains are lower and easier to cross when towing a load. Wyoming is the windiest state in the Union but not the day we travelled across it. Just stick to your plan of the manufactured home and don't get suckered into extreme debt like so much of CA does. You had the courage to make the move which says something despite all the dire warnings. Keep us informed as things play out. HappyinHeels