A Visit to the Podiatrist

mlroseplant

Question

This isn't really a question at all, but a report. I thought my feet were actually in pretty good shape for a man of 50 who spends 10 hours a day on his feet, working. However, I had enough niggling little concerns that I decided to pay a visit to the good foot doctor. 

As it turns out, I guess I'm falling apart, sort of. The biggest problem I have is that apparently, I have a bone spur on the side of my left heel that bothers me a bit at work mostly. I think I know how I developed it, but I'll never know for sure. It was about 12 years ago, I was going through a divorce, and I had just about run out of money, so I was forced to go on the road to find work (times were not that great in the construction industry at home). I don't remember much about the job, other than that I had to walk miles and miles every day in ill-fitting boots because I couldn't afford new ones. It was there I developed this weird injury on my heel. It bothered me a little bit for a while, and then it didn't for a number of years. Well now it's bothering me again, and evidently it's a bone spur. I'm just dealing with it for now, because any cure sounds worse than the problem. I just put a little moleskin pad over it that has a hole in the center of it to take the pressure off it. If I were allowed to wear mules or clogs at work, it wouldn't bother me at all!

In addition, I am developing a corn on my right little toe. This is the one time that I might have to place some blame on my high heeled footwear. I even know which shoes are likely the guilty parties. I haven't gotten rid of anything yet, but I'll have to consider it. So I'm also taping both little toes at work to prevent my boots from rubbing, and also to try and bring them back straight. They tend to fold under, and are developing a hard crease on their undersides. 

Also, I have fungal infections in both little toenails. I'm going to beat that, though. I have a plan. I'll let you know by Christmas whether it worked. It's already 100% better after a couple months of massaging almond oil into the nails for 15 seconds twice a day. The podiatrist suggested I switch to Vicks Vaporub, which has been proven in studies to knock down the fungus, and in some cases, cure it completely. Also, tea tree oil seems to have the same effect. I'm now using both! Stay tuned. I don't have room in my life for ugly toenails!

To round out the visit, my right big toenail has changed shape slightly, so that it wants to become ingrown easily. If I keep on top of it, it's not a problem. The doctor said welcome to getting old! Again, nothing to be done. I have taken up yoga so that, among other things, I can continue to be flexible enough to take care of my own feet. Only now, I have to make sure I have my glasses with me in the bathroom, as I can no longer see what I'm doing without them. 

Growing old is not all bad, but it does have its challenges!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 answers to this question

I understand the stretching etc so that you can take care of your own.

Hope it improves. I had 1 big toe nail fixed (nail bed resection) about 30 years ago, has never ingrown again, well the other one never gave me much trouble but now with heels and back playing lots of soccer and running it tends to get ingrown easily. Im thinking about getting it fixed. Its a simple procedure yet hurts like a bugger for 2-3 days, then 4 weeks of been sensitive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regards

James

mlroseplant,

Have you had your blood sugar checked recently? Toenail fungus is sometimes the first sign of type 2 diabetes.

You might try drinking some tomato juice to help with your bone spurs. My dad had bone spurs in his heels and claim that tomato juice helped. I form bones spurs as a result of injuries and have had several removed, very painful, specially if they shave the bone. Foot surgery can be very painful, because you use your feet all the time, they never get rest.

I have had one big toe ingrown nail fixed 20 years and was thinking about getting the other one done in the next few years. On my pain scale its a 4, but as

23 hours ago, Sydheel said:

hurts like a bugger

at first. I had my two smaller toes worked on two years ago and had two 8 inch pins in for about 10 days. It was a 8 on my pain scale with the pin removal much higher. Oh did I scream, doctor never hear that high of a note. (BTW my 1 to 10 pain scale top is 38.)

• Haha 1

Many years ago, an old dude friend of mine - in his 80’s - told me, “getting old ain’t for sissies.”  I thought it funny then, but as I get closer to that mark I realize how truthful his comment was!!

Stay young......  sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

God luck on the nail fungus cures.  I've had it in all toes for about 20 years now.  Some things improve the look, but I've never found a cure.  I was going to try laser treatments but I've developed other health issues that make nail fungus the least of my concerns, so I'll live with it for as long as I have left on this planet.

As it's been about half a year, and I have time at present to make a report, I will do so. The update on the issues is in the same order as they appeared in the original post, for easier reference.

1. The bone spur. It hasn't changed any in appearance, but for some reason it has stopped bothering me for the present. For several months after my visit in July, I had to make sure I covered it up with something, usually just a heavy duty Band-Aid (or sticking plaster), but it just stopped bothering me for no apparent reason. Hopefully that situation holds.

2. The corn on my little toe. It has continued to bother me, but it's a mere annoyance rather than a serious issue. Or, I should say, was a mere annoyance. I'd been putting off doing anything about it because I was afraid of making my work life miserable, as I often walk a lot during the day. However, after I arrived in Vietnam, knowing I wouldn't have to return to work for three weeks, I started applying salicylic acid to it. It became somewhat sensitive at times, but I persisted for about a week until the whole thing finally peeled off in a rather disconcerting large, thick sheet of dead skin. So it's gone. Only time will tell if my feeling is right that it doesn't really need to be there anymore--I got rid of the shoes that originally caused it, and my toe's new, smaller size should prevent any future abrasion, particularly in my work boots.

2a. I have been taping my little toes tightly with medical tape when I go to work so they won't fold under. It has made a remarkable difference. They are straighter, less sensitive, and more attractive.

3. Toenail fungus. I am happy to report that the Vicks Vapo-Rub and tea tree oil seems to have worked. I won't claim that there is NO fungus, or that my nails appear 100% normal, but I will say that it is 80% of what I had hoped for, and continuing treatment will hopefully knock out the problem even more. The doctor did tell me it would take a year, as a practical matter. He wasn't lying. My nails are much thinner and smoother than they were six months ago, but it's been a very slow process.

4. Big toenail curling weirdly and wanting to become ingrown. Sometime shortly after I visited the podiatrist, I began examining this toenail more carefully (with my glasses on), and decided that it, too, had a slight fungal infection, and that perhaps this was causing the change in shape. It wasn't super obvious like the other two infected toenails, though. So I began treating this toenail also with the Vapo-Rub and the tea tree oil. This toenail is of course much bigger in size and is taking much longer to grow all the way out, but I can tell a difference. The overly thick part has already grown out, and it hasn't caused me any discomfort for at least two months.

So, the good news is that perhaps I am not completely falling apart. The bad news is that it takes some good deal of effort to KEEP from falling apart.

I had ingrown toe nails of both sides of both big toes when I was a teen....Guess I cut the nails too short.  I remember the pain when the doc clipped those nails back....I soon learned how to cut my toe nails properly.  I also wedge cotton between the outer edge of the nail(s) to help guide nail growth out and over the skin when I feel the nails starting to dig into the skin. 

During my last visit to the doc, I expressed concern about the rate I am aging, told him I felt like I have aged ten years in the past two years.  Back issues, and what seems to be sciatic pains running down the left leg to the knee have slowed me down for sure.  I'm trying to do the appropriate stretching exercises and do my best to avoid "bending over" instead of squatting down.  The chiropractor said that what appears to be sciatic pains might in fact be the beginning of hip issues...  Needless to say, I have wondered if wearing heels has contributed to these issues, but can honestly say there is never any pain when I wear my high heel boots. 

I remember my father always advising:  "don't get old",   guess I should have listened to his advice...

• Sad 1

I've had in-grown toenail surgery on both big toes, decades apart. Your sciatic nerve runs from your hip down to your big toe and when it is active you can feel it for its full length. Been there, had that too.  It is different from your hamstring/calf/achilles tendon, which is close by.

For me, high heels reduces/eliminates my hip pain. Any other joints starting to become sore or sift?

I also had a toe nail surgery for a similar reason  when I was a kid. The doctor removed the nail totally. Non only it has been painful,the nail grew the same way after having been removed. So: pain for nothing.

Simce that day I cut it by myself regularly and don't have any problem anymore. 

Concerning hips and back pain( same origin),it is my everyday concern for now 40 years. Looking at my X Ray pictures is appaling. 

But with the help of a nice chiropractor/ Doctor ( he is both) my life is more than acceptable. For more than 20 years now. 

I never told him about my frequent heels wearing 

from my side I can't feel any difference if I wear heels,even several days in a raw,or flat. 

As I am also getting a little older than I would wish,I decided a few weeks ago to start some stretching exercises. Some very gentle ones. 

The result was a catastrophe! I had to rush to my gentle Doctor who asked me what the hell I could have done ! 

Now it is fixed again and I am trying to get old as slowly as possible. 

So: beware of any exercise your body isn't used to. 

8 hours ago, Cali said:

I've had in-grown toenail surgery on both big toes, decades apart. Your sciatic nerve runs from your hip down to your big toe and when it is active you can feel it for its full length. Been there, had that too.  It is different from your hamstring/calf/achilles tendon, which is close by.

For me, high heels reduces/eliminates my hip pain. Any other joints starting to become sore or sift?

OK, so you are saying that the shooting pain from my hip to my knee is NOT sciatic, which would agree with what the chiropractor said.   No other chronic joint issues, just lower back woes.  I guess I have to work harder on strengthening my "core".  I am getting better about not bending over, and squatting instead.  I lucked out with my shoulder issue a few years back, avoided surgery thank god....Turned out to be alot of calcium in the joint from years of shoulder abuse and injuries, radiologist just went in there with a needle/scope contraption and busted all the calcium away, he said the body would absorb it....Worked like a charm....

I'm with you Cali, I never experience any back pain/discomfort when wearing my boots....

4 hours ago, Pierre1961 said:

I also had a toe nail surgery for a similar reason  when I was a kid. The doctor removed the nail totally. Non only it has been painful,the nail grew the same way after having been removed. So: pain for nothing.

Simce that day I cut it by myself regularly and don't have any problem anymore. 

Concerning hips and back pain( same origin),it is my everyday concern for now 40 years. Looking at my X Ray pictures is appaling. 

But with the help of a nice chiropractor/ Doctor ( he is both) my life is more than acceptable. For more than 20 years now. 

I never told him about my frequent heels wearing 

from my side I can't feel any difference if I wear heels,even several days in a raw,or flat. 

As I am also getting a little older than I would wish,I decided a few weeks ago to start some stretching exercises. Some very gentle ones. 

The result was a catastrophe! I had to rush to my gentle Doctor who asked me what the hell I could have done ! 

Now it is fixed again and I am trying to get old as slowly as possible. 

So: beware of any exercise your body isn't used to. 

Well, my body isn't used to most exercise!  I surely do a lot of walking, bending, yanking while working on the plane though, all abusive....I'm thinking that riding a bicycle might be good exercise for me, I remember my Uncle used to ride his bike alot.   My declining/lack of peripheral vision scares me though, surely don't want to get hit by a car....

I am thinking of telling my chiropractor about my boots, but fear that she will tell me to stop wearing them....

• Thanks 1

I think I can teach you guys a little about back problems, and sciatic nerves, after breaking my back in two places, and learning to walk again, after my back surgery I now have a metal plate in my back looks like a elongated x and has screws eight of witch go into my spine bones to hold them all together. anyway after back surgery the bottoms of my feet are very sensitive and don't like to be touched in any way, so what I do is wear my thounge sandals mainly all day as I cannot go barefoot anywhere due to feet being sensitive to the touch. I do wear my heeled ankle boots every day when I go out, not high just 2 and a half inches, but it makes a big difference to my walk and posture. I wear my sandals because they are easy to put on and take off, very hard when you cannot reach you feet, wiping my bum is another problem but I won't go into that, very hard when your back does not flex anymore, but I have learned to live with it.

life is not a rehearsal

1 minute ago, dww said:

I think I can teach you guys a little about back problems, and sciatic nerves, after breaking my back in two places, and learning to walk again, after my back surgery I now have a metal plate in my back looks like a elongated x and has screws eight of witch go into my spine bones to hold them all together. anyway after back surgery the bottoms of my feet are very sensitive and don't like to be touched in any way, so what I do is wear my thounge sandals mainly all day as I cannot go barefoot anywhere due to feet being sensitive to the touch. I do wear my heeled ankle boots every day when I go out, not high just 2 and a half inches, but it makes a big difference to my walk and posture. I wear my sandals because they are easy to put on and take off, very hard when you cannot reach you feet, wiping my bum is another problem but I won't go into that, very hard when your back does not flex anymore, but I have learned to live with it.

Well, my hat is off to you buddy, guess I will stop whining about my minor aches and pains, just consider myself lucky!  For me, it is not so much the current aches and pains, I just worry about what the future will bring....

How the heck did you break your back?  Seems like you are agree that a reasonable heel is actually helpful for posture and pain reduction.  

1. Thank-you mr pebblessf How did I break my back, not a long story but I suffer from ankylosing spondylitis witch is a disese witch joins all of your joints together and after a while they fuse together and you cannot move them anymore, so after a while my back was a solid bone and cannot move anymore, well I fell down the stairs and broke my back in two places, anyway way I was put in a mountain type resque type of harness and taken to my local hospital and then airlifted to Southampton general hospital and had surgery a bit later, anyway anklylosing spondylitis  there is no cure, and all have to look forward to is my neck will lock up and cannot move anymore, and maybe have to give up driving etc, well I am nearly 70, problems with getting old.

life is not a rehearsal

42 minutes ago, dww said:
  1. Thank-you mr pebblessf How did I break my back, not a long story but I suffer from ankylosing spondylitis witch is a disese witch joins all of your joints together and after a while they fuse together and you cannot move them anymore, so after a while my back was a solid bone and cannot move anymore, well I fell down the stairs and broke my back in two places, anyway way I was put in a mountain type resque type of harness and taken to my local hospital and then airlifted to Southampton general hospital and had surgery a bit later, anyway anklylosing spondylitis  there is no cure, and all have to look forward to is my neck will lock up and cannot move anymore, and maybe have to give up driving etc, well I am nearly 70, problems with getting old.

I surely admire your positive outlook in spite of the cards not being stacked in your favor....Is there a lot of pain that goes along with your current condition?  I ask only because my elderly Mom is suffering with neck pains, the docs won't go near her for any sort of operations, understandable considering her 92 years and delicate health.  The docs say "she has out lived her bone structure".    Truly a shame, mentally, she is in great shape.   But, getting her out of bed and moving in the morning is a slow and very painful process.  Once she is going, she does amazingly well though, tough old broad I guess.   But,  in her lower moments, she confesses to wanting to go to bed and not wake up.  I totally understand, but it is very hard for me to respond, I don't want to sound uncaring by implying "....it is OK to go ahead and die...."

God bless you sir, hearing your struggles makes me appreciate my relative good health....
"

I had a different in-grown toenail surgery. The doctor went in and killed off about an 1/8 inch of the outer edge of the nail bed and it never grows back.

I got sciatica while staying in a hospital for 4 days getting  bags of antibiotics; it was the position they had me lay in. Couldn't walk for a day. Took many months to get over it. 

Don - it sound more like your hamstring than the sciatica.

5 minutes ago, Cali said:

I had a different in-grown toenail surgery. The doctor went in and killed off about an 1/8 inch of the outer edge of the nail bed and it never grows back.

I got sciatica while staying in a hospital for 4 days getting  bags of antibiotics; it was the position they had me lay in. Couldn't walk for a day. Took many months to get over it. 

Don - it sound more like your hamstring than the sciatica.

OK, hamstring sounds better than sciatica, will have to read up on it....Will ask the chiropractor also....I just "asssumed" that the shooting pains were associated with the lower back issues....Could be two separate conditions I guess...

1 minute ago, pebblesf said:

OK, hamstring sounds better than sciatica, will have to read up on it....Will ask the chiropractor also....I just "asssumed" that the shooting pains were associated with the lower back issues....Could be two separate conditions I guess...

Shooting pains could also be a pinched nerve; a small strain in a tendon;  ....It all depends on where the pain is and what you are doing when you feel it.

Sounds we all are more or less suffering from some parts of our bodies. 

@pebblesf,thank you for your nice words. And don't tell your doctor about your heeling. I always wear flats when I visit mine. 

If not,no matter he is right or not,he would get crazy 

Pierre