Damage your heels can cause

Mitsysun1400

Hello guys and gals, a short story that made me think about if we realise what damage our heels can cause to floors etc, I actually felt guilty about this....I had been out with a few friends and we took a lift home with one of their parents who owned a 6 seater van, as I climbed in the back and sat down and went to move my left foot I realised it was stuck, I then looked closer and realised my heel tip had punctured through the rubber floor of the van, only then did I notice the other small indents where I had stepped in, I was wearing my low heeled pumps which I like at the minute as they as do comfortable, does anyone else ever notice their heels causing damage to floors etc, thanks

CAC54A92-2262-4171-B17A-8235FCA24505.jpeg

6CB7BD32-D895-4ED6-B872-614C08A2340A.jpeg

B4B4825B-4EFF-41BE-BA1D-B4FCDC3F2BD0.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

Oh no! Are those metal tips?

What did you do?

Yeah they are 1/4 inch metal tips, being under the influence of alcohol it just never occurred to me the floor was rubber with like a spongy underside, I didn’t do anything just kept the weight off my heels while getting out :oops:

I was well aware of this concern when my husband suggested we install wood floors in our house. I made sure to pick one that would have little issue, but I also cannot have metal heel tips.

(formerly known as "JimC")

Our house was very old dating beck before the Civil War, the war between the states.  My wife would never allow anyone, including me, to wear stiletto heels in our house after we spent a fortune having the original floors refinished.  

• Like 1

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Ok so the time came, my friends dad had found the holes as he keeps the van immaculate, she mentioned it to me and I admitted it to her but fortunately she’s going to keep quiet! I never thought they’re make something to such a poor standard though, they use these as taxis aswell so I can imagine what half of them look like, it’s like a Lino type rubber but has a thick soft padding underneath, hence no solid base for over an inch! 

• 3 weeks later...

My youth group had a costume party at the minister's house . The year was around 1985-86 and wearing heels in a conservative community was a bad thing unless you went to a costume party or such . I remember the minister's wife a very nice woman getting after me for wearing them on her linoleum kitchen floor . She said " if you are going to dress as a woman , you need to know never wear heels on linoleum they make holes or dents ". Fortunately , I kicked my pumps off before I did any damage . Unfortunately , I lost the best costume contest even after all the compliments from the girls about how I looked so good and could walk in my heels so gracefully . I think Freddie Krueger won the contest . My wife has got after me about the same thing when we first got married , we lost part of our renters deposit due to floor damage ( my stilettos ) .  

6 hours ago, maninpumps said:

My youth group had a costume party at the minister's house . The year was around 1985-86 and wearing heels in a conservative community was a bad thing unless you went to a costume party or such . I remember the minister's wife a very nice woman getting after me for wearing them on her linoleum kitchen floor . She said " if you are going to dress as a woman , you need to know never wear heels on linoleum they make holes or dents ". Fortunately , I kicked my pumps off before I did any damage . Unfortunately , I lost the best costume contest even after all the compliments from the girls about how I looked so good and could walk in my heels so gracefully . I think Freddie Krueger won the contest . My wife has got after me about the same thing when we first got married , we lost part of our renters deposit due to floor damage ( my stilettos ) .  

oh well, you live and learn ;-) 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

It makes perfect sense if you think about. Instead of spreading your weight out over your entire foot area it gets concentrated on your heel tips. Soft floors will suffer accordingly. Which is why a hard floor would be perfect for heels, but for my own house I prefer carpets. I'm not a big fan of loud clicking heels on a wooden floor. Plus I love the feel of carpet on my bare feet.

Cali, you don't wear stilettos, heel tips under 1/4" in size like I do. I replaced my hardwood flooring with even harder bamboo. I left tons of heel marks in oak flooring over the years, bamboo is the only thing other ceramic that withstands true stilettos. I also have plenty of throw rugs.

You are correct sir, I just measured my Jessica Simpson stilettos and they are only 3/16" by 13/32". I think my Victoria's Secret stilettos are much smaller.  I had carpet, but when the water pipe broke under the house and flooded everything I had to rip it up, so I have concrete floor until I get my new house built. Hoping for bamboo floors and tile.  In normal times, I would take off my heels when I got home after 15 hours in them. But now I struggle to wear (and walk in) heels for 4 or 5 hours a day. My body demands more time in heels. I spend over 40 hours just sitting and working  on my computers the last 3 days.  That's what happens when you open many cans of worms at once and the big fish "upstairs" bite and when your work servers get blown out by a power shutdown. Right now I am on a 3 hour hold at 10 pm, the server that houses the LMS  is overwhelmed and has screwed up my files.  Working from home is so much fun.

Edited by Cali