How to increase the heel height of cowboy boots

Zzz

Hello all, I have a pair of grinders maverick cowboy boots which require a new pair of stick on heels again. (I do wear them a lot!) I have decided that before i  fit them they would look much better if I could make them an inch higher as well. At first I thought the heels where made of wood but after a search online it seems they are made from leather. Can anyone help advise me where I can get the leather from (in the UK), how to work with it,  maybe the same as if it was wood? And what is best to stick to with? Many thanks for your help. John.

• Like 1

If you don't know anything about shoe repair or modification, it's best to stick with a knowledgeable and experienced cobbler who knows all about leather, synthetics, and adhesives. The last thing you want is for the heel to come off and make you hobble around on boots with uneven heels. Spend the few dollars and get a quality repair job. The most important tool you need for shoe repair is your phone.

Steve

• Like 1

An idea I have often pondered as well.  But, you won't be able to raise heel height much without the boot looking odd, and probably affecting walkability also.  Kinda like "jacking up" an old American car in the rear....

Thanks for the advice!  well as you say Steve you are quite right about getting it wrong and falling apart. I have not worked with leather much before but it's a shame it's not made from wood as I am good at working with wood, however the boots are old and a little tatty so if I do have a go and don't  like the result or think they would fall off then at least I tried, not much to loose.

I did also use cardboard and black tape to make a higher heel to see what they looked like and it's very surprising how much can be added to these boots and look good, so if I have a go and it works,  great, if not it's one to learn from!

None the less thanks for your advice!  If I do decide to go against the good advice given here then I will post the before and after pics,  it's the least I can do! 

• Like 2

DSCF5178.thumb.JPG.e3e1325cbcb294ce1e1a7f589172ba8e.JPGAnne and John : How high of a heel did/do you want on those cowboy boots ?  If your current boots are tattered and worn,

maybe you should think of getting new boots instead of putting money in the old ones.  These are my idea of cowboy boots.

They are made in Spain. Estres Modes = Extreme high heels.  Custom made - pricey but well made.   spikesmike

• Like 4

crumbs! They are cool.  They are not quite what I had in mind though!  I don't think Anne would approve if I wanted to go out in those boots! 

Trouble is where do I get new cowboy boots with a 3 inch heel and if I could I bet they are expensive!  

Anyway I am always fixing/making things in my shed including fixing my boots or Anne's heels so it's just another job to make these boots a bit higher. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anne and John said:

crumbs! They are cool.  They are not quite what I had in mind though!  I don't think Anne would approve if I wanted to go out in those boots! 

Trouble is where do I get new cowboy boots with a 3 inch heel and if I could I bet they are expensive!  

Anyway I am always fixing/making things in my shed including fixing my boots or Anne's heels so it's just another job to make these boots a bit higher. 

Plan on shopping the women's department. Hell - I don't buy any boots in the men's department any more.

Look in the women's department at a western/saddle shop.  Boot season is over here in the North Hemisphere.  Got to wait until the fall or take a trip to Texas, Colorado, cowboy cowgirl land.

On 4/29/2018 at 5:14 PM, spikesmike said:

DSCF5178.thumb.JPG.e3e1325cbcb294ce1e1a7f589172ba8e.JPGAnne and John : How high of a heel did/do you want on those cowboy boots ?  If your current boots are tattered and worn,

maybe you should think of getting new boots instead of putting money in the old ones.  These are my idea of cowboy boots.

They are made in Spain. Estres Modes = Extreme high heels.  Custom made - pricey but well made.   spikesmike

I really like your idea of cowboy boots!!! A great pair! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Look at cowboybootsusa   (yes, all one word) store on ebay (USA or UK ebay - slightly different choice on the different sites) Lots of various height cowboy boots on there. Not dead cheap but not massively priced for real thick leather. I got a 5 inch high pair from them and they're good and solid. But mine are actually bigger than expected (that's a first) so I need a thick pair of socks. Check and read the size charts carefully as there are a couple of different charts when you click the "see full descrition" tab

• Like 1

Yes, the two pairs I got from cowboybootsusa are run large....So, I would contact the seller and make sure they are returnable.  I just wish I had the forethought to buy a pair from Western Ranch years ago....

• 4 weeks later...

For what it's worth:

1.   I have a pair of boots by Miguel Jones of cowboybootsusa.   They are well made and a perfect fit - I took care with my measurements.   I consider them fairly-priced and well worth considering, especially if (like me) your feet are too large for almost anything available off-the-shelf.   Miguel will custom-make almost anything and I found him a pleasure to deal with.   I had no problem with importation either, although UK customers might have to pay VAT and a customs clearance fee, according to the declared value.

2.   Re-heeling boots or shoes with new rubber or leather is not difficult with basic tools and the right materials.   This supplier has a wide range at fair prices and is a good source - worth a visit if geography allows: https://www.leatherandgrindery.com/index.php?route=common/home     I particularly recommend this impact adhesive, both for shoe repairs and general DIY use: https://www.leatherandgrindery.com/Shoe-Repair-Supplies-shoe-repair-materials/Adhesives/Svig-E-Universal-Adhesive-1-litre 

3.   I advise caution if trying to alter the height of a heel by more than a nominal amount; it is all too easy to upset the balance of the shoe, and prejudice its construction, quite apart from possibly spoiling its appearance.

4.   It is not difficult to shape wooden heels to replace damaged wooden, leather or plastic ones - although fixing them securely may not be straightforward.   And the hollow plastic block or cuban heels often found on cheaper boots can be filled with shaped wood, allowing new top pieces (heel plates) to be nailed on in place of the worn or missing 'plug-in' plastic originals.