Nine West

Cali

I stopped by a Nine West Outlet in Gilroy a few weeks ago and it was abandoned. I stopped by another Nine West Outlet in Milpitas today and it was abandoned. Does anyone know what's going on with Nine West? 

Cali,

Nine West is closing most of their stores, as a part of restructuring their company. They plan on devoting their energy on shoes.probably on internet sales. As far as I know, the Nine West Outlet, in the Niagara Outlet Mall, in Niagara Falls is still open. It was when I was there about a month ago.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• Like 1

This was in the April 6 Washington Post:

Nine West Holdings, known for its ubiquitous footwear, filed for bankruptcy Friday and said it would sell its struggling shoe business, having missed the athletic shoe trend.

The New York-based company said it would focus instead on its jewelry and clothing lines, which include Anne Klein, Kasper Group and One Jeanswear Group.

The retailer has faced several challenges in recent years, including slumping demand for ballet flats, sandals and high heels as consumers spend more of their money on athletic shoes and sneakers. Analysts said the decline of shopping malls and department stores — many of which sell Nine West products — also exacerbated its demise.

“This is a brand that has really struggled to differentiate itself,” said Sucharita Kodali, a retail analyst for market research firm Forrester. “The only bright spot in the footwear industry has been athletic wear, and that’s not what Nine West sells.”

Nine West, which is owned by private-equity firm Sycamore Capital, owes more than $1 billion to as many as 50,000 creditors, according to court documents filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New York.

Steve

$1B??? I’m not a fan of Private Equity firms. They are the ones that probably loaded NW up with the loans in the first place and leaves them in horrendous shape with no room to maneuver in a downturn... 

I have been buying boots from Nine West for about 12 years now.  Their models are really good, I can tell you that I have about 25 pairs of boots from them and I like all of them.  I do believe that they have sacrificed quality of their products, I personally have started buying less from them because of quality.  All of the boots that I have bought have lost their inner, it is really cheap and after a while it starts to break of, which sticks to the leg and doesn't feel really good.  

I personally believe that people will continue to buy their shoes but they have to improve their quality.  

Well, there goes another company that sold size 12 US in just about every shoe they market.  There was always something at Nine West that caught my eye.  That's too bad...really too bad.  I suppose someone might take them over, but I would expect major changes that would destroy what they are all about.  I'll miss them!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I heart Nine West!!   Their website seems to be going strong and many of their shoes come in size 12, and the shoes seem to run large. I own two pair of Nine West sandals that I wear a lot, and find quite comfortable and stylish. 

I have made contact with the company thanking them for the larger sizes, don’t know if that has any affect on anything but at least they have been notified.  

I wish them the best in their reorganization.    sf 

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

That would be great.....   And, Nine West actually responded to my email, thanking me for my input as a guy. There still is hope!  

Take care all...   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"