Heels and soft ground

Mitsysun1400

Guys and gals, if you wear heels on grass or gravel etc, do you keep the weight on the toes and try not to sink or if it’s an old pair do your heels sinking not bother you? Do u think about where your going before choosing heels? Just a question to see how people think about where they are wearing their heels :fine:

I try not to walk on such surfaces. It destroys the heels. If I can't avoid some steps I would keep the weight on the toes. 

Heels sinking is a horrible feeling and horrible view. 

If i knew I would have to go to such a place ,then block heels are mandatory. 

I take a great care of which shoes to wear because I want to keep my preferate shoes in good condition and hate uncomfortable situations 

• Like 1

I always think about where I am going that day before choosing shoes - I wear heels every day so that is an important consideration. I often take the long way around if there is an issue such as gravel, angled sidewalks, steep downhill, busy road to cross because its safer to take a flatter higher quality route when wearing heels. I wear stilettos mostly so surface underfoot is critical.

I do carry the heel protectors for wearing on grass and gravel - and they do work quite well but they make the shoes look a little awkward - and I only wear them if a function/event is hosted on a lawn - otherwise I admit I carry a pair always but don't usually put them on - I just go the long way around !

• Like 2

I also wear heels everyday and I try to take into account were I might be walking the next day. I will that longer route if it is much better for my heels.  But you can't plan for everything and sometimes you have no other choice than walk down that gravel path.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies l, just got me thinking from when I went to a friends wedding event last weekend and I knew I’d be on grass but still wore Stilettos and spent half the night aerating the lawn , they were a pair of heels I’ve had for 4 years so I wasn’t too fussed 

3F287981-B145-433E-9D14-4E2A16BD2FB3.jpeg

FAFF8027-435A-4B05-A696-56BBCF244E25.jpeg

F09EAE43-7CCC-4CFD-A0FF-C1D6D156E880.jpeg

• Like 2

Mitsysun1400,

Like others here I account for different pavement surfaces or grass instead of some sort of paved surface. If you're invited to an event there is nothing wrong with asking your host about this. I have attended some outdoor weddings on grass and wore wedge sandals which work well for that. If you insist on stiletto heels then you'll have to limit yourself to paved or at least very hard surfaces like packed clay. I've been known to drive by a place and essentially do some reconnaissance. It helps with determining a good place to park, calculate the route to be walked from a bus station to the venue as well as see what type of pavements there are to be traversed. All this reduces the chance of a surprise or a broken heel. After all you want to enjoy your heels, and enjoy the event and venue you're going to. I'm a big advocate of carrying an alternate pair of heels in a bag just in case.  HappyinHeels

26 minutes ago, HappyinHeels said:

Mitsysun1400,

Like others here I account for different pavement surfaces or grass instead of some sort of paved surface. If you're invited to an event there is nothing wrong with asking your host about this. I have attended some outdoor weddings on grass and wore wedge sandals which work well for that. If you insist on stiletto heels then you'll have to limit yourself to paved or at least very hard surfaces like packed clay. I've been known to drive by a place and essentially do some reconnaissance. It helps with determining a good place to park, calculate the route to be walked from a bus station to the venue as well as see what type of pavements there are to be traversed. All this reduces the chance of a surprise or a broken heel. After all you want to enjoy your heels, and enjoy the event and venue you're going to. I'm a big advocate of carrying an alternate pair of heels in a bag just in case.  HappyinHeels

Good advice there thankyou, I wore that particular old pair because I kind of knew I’d be sinking, they were already a little scruffy and taps on nails, which certainly didn’t make it easier lol, but that’s just me, if I knew why didn’t I wear a wedge or block heel, I guess I don’t know :giggle:

There is a product - that I was previously unaware of - that ladies and gentlemen - can apply to the tip of their high heels that distributes the force of the heel tip into a wider area, thus no sinking into the ground.  Or at least that's the idea.  I was at a wedding a few months ago, at a "fancy" place near Monterey that has lots of beautiful golf course quality grass.  The wedding invitation stated that no spiked or stiletto type high heels were to be allowed and recommended flats, wedgies or block heels.   

My wife, always the conformist, wore wedgies, but her friends, not to be deterred tried these heel guards, with limited success I might add.  Heels still sunk into the grass, tip guards fell off and/or broke, and a lot of gals were "tiptoeing" around.  I left my heels at home, reluctantly..  

Here is a pic of the product, forgot the name but they are avail on - where else - amazon.  

Take care all......   sf

81G1oU9-TsL._UL1500_.jpg

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

On 4/16/2018 at 9:33 AM, SF said:

There is a product - that I was previously unaware of - that ladies and gentlemen - can apply to the tip of their high heels that distributes the force of the heel tip into a wider area, thus no sinking into the ground.  Or at least that's the idea.  I was at a wedding a few months ago, at a "fancy" place near Monterey that has lots of beautiful golf course quality grass.  The wedding invitation stated that no spiked or stiletto type high heels were to be allowed and recommended flats, wedgies or block heels.   

My wife, always the conformist, wore wedgies, but her friends, not to be deterred tried these heel guards, with limited success I might add.  Heels still sunk into the grass, tip guards fell off and/or broke, and a lot of gals were "tiptoeing" around.  I left my heels at home, reluctantly..  

Here is a pic of the product, forgot the name but they are avail on - where else - amazon.  

Take care all......   sf

81G1oU9-TsL._UL1500_.jpg

I'd sure love a pair of those heels!  Very nice!

It strikes me with the sheer pounds per square inch on this type of plastic tip will result in product failure within probably 30 minutes of walking on cement as shown here. Wedges come in such an array of styles that can conform to just about any sort of venue. A very chunky heel would  also have worked. While golf course grassy areas are of different consistency the ground is always firm but that does not mean a classic stiletto heel will not sink in the soil as it will. This is just another idea for people to throw away their money. HappyinHeels

On 14/04/2018 at 11:39 PM, Mitsysun1400 said:

Thanks for the replies l, just got me thinking from when I went to a friends wedding event last weekend and I knew I’d be on grass but still wore Stilettos and spent half the night aerating the lawn , they were a pair of heels I’ve had for 4 years so I wasn’t too fussed 

I've skinned the backs of my heels lots of times at occasions like that. You never know what sharpy jaggedy things are hiding just under the turf.

That season is almost here again too :-(

Edited by Amanda

I try to choose the appropriate heels whenever possible, If I know I'll have to walk on soft ground I choose wedges or chunky heels.

But if im in stiletto heels and face the fact that I must walk/stand on soft ground I always try to prevent my heels from sinking into the ground no matter if I'm in new or worn heels. 

• Like 2

On 4/20/2018 at 3:44 AM, Amanda said:

I've skinned the backs of my heels lots of times at occasions like that. You never know what sharpy jaggedy things are hiding just under the turf.

That season is almost here again too :-(

Thats why I wear those heel protector thingys. There are about 4 sizes of them depending on how skinny your heels are. They stay on and stop the dreaded sinking feeling.

Its horrible finding damaged heels.

On 4/21/2018 at 2:50 AM, Michaela said:

I try to choose the appropriate heels whenever possible, If I know I'll have to walk on soft ground I choose wedges or chunky heels.

But if im in stiletto heels and face the fact that I must walk/stand on soft ground I always try to prevent my heels from sinking into the ground no matter if I'm in new or worn heels. 

absolutely makes sense - thats the beauty of different types of high heels! - but I do carry those thingies just in case. Stuff happens sometimes and plans get stuffed up.

(I don't like the carrying my high heels in bare feet look)

On 23/04/2018 at 5:11 AM, nzfreestyler said:

Thats why I wear those heel protector thingys. There are about 4 sizes of them depending on how skinny your heels are. They stay on and stop the dreaded sinking feeling.

absolutely makes sense - thats the beauty of different types of high heels! - but I do carry those thingies just in case. Stuff happens sometimes and plans get stuffed up.

I made a post about them here quite some years ago. I was all excited about them until I'd properly tested them.

honestly I've had no trouble with them.

I have had several sets.

The first ones were clear and shitty to be honest - my heels kept coming out of them.

I pursevered and got another pair from a shoe repairer but they came in 3 sizes depending on the thickness of your heel.(and these ones are good - a little stronger and flexibly made and the slip on the heel and stay on. My set are black - and I have 3 sizes that come in a little duffel bag

Were you a super party girl in them perhaps and test drove them really hard ?

Edited by nzfreestyler

2 minutes ago, nzfreestyler said:

Were you a super party girl in them perhaps and test drove them really hard ?

Ha ha, no they just kept digging in and popping off.

I think they look pretty horrid too to be honest.

Oh yes I agree - I don't like the aesthetics. (its more about desperation and not having to go barefooted!)

Turns a nice stiletto into a a old styled curvy heel (don't know the name of that heel shape) like a victorian heel.

tiptoeing is so hard when you're in your taller heels.

I find I am no good after only a short time on my tippy toes  on grass/gravel... its a real workout! Grass is the worst. And then I find myself balancing there forwards backwards feeling like a high heel novice all over again!

• Haha 1

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎23 at 6:11 AM, nzfreestyler said:

I totally agree, damaged heels looks so bad. That's why I often wear steel stilettos....With those it's not the end of the world if my heels sinks a little in soft ground.

2 minutes ago, Michaela said:

I totally agree, damaged heels looks so bad. That's why I often wear steel stilettos....With those it's not the end of the world if my heels sinks a little in soft ground.

Yes all my heel tips are metalled too - but soft ground often means 2+ inches of sinking - well past the heel tips.....

11 hours ago, nzfreestyler said:

tiptoeing is so hard when you're in your taller heels.

I find I am no good after only a short time on my tippy toes  on grass/gravel... its a real workout! Grass is the worst. And then I find myself balancing there forwards backwards feeling like a high heel novice all over again!

It's not great no. I manage though.

It's likely I've been doing it for a lot longer.

14 hours ago, nzfreestyler said:

Turns a nice stiletto into a a old styled curvy heel (don't know the name of that heel shape) like a victorian heel.

I think you have a 'spool heel' in mind - almost an hour-glass shape.