Character shoes

brewfan49

They always looked like they would be fun to wear.  I have always like the Mary-Jane style strap across the instep.  That was the mainstay for girls to wear to kindergarten and early elementary grades in the late 1950's when I attended.  Then came the saddle oxfords and later the penny loafers to take the place of a dressier appearance.  Today's unisex athletic types just do nothing to enhance the female appearance.

• Like 1

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

nice to see you back here neighbor!

I don't think I have a single classic Mary Jane style shoe though I do have a couple of stiletto pumps (5-6" heels) with a cross strap like this. A question for you might be is a Mary Jane a D'Orsay without the T-strap?? It has me curious since there are many fans of the Mary Jane. HappyinHeels

• Like 1

I only like the ones at the upper end of the heel height range, which would be 3 - 3 1/2 inches, and I only like to look at them on other people (probably women, to be honest), and I don't think they look very good on me. I was considering a pair to use as organ shoes, but soon realized I'd better stick to the specialty shoes for that purpose.

3 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I only like the ones at the upper end of the heel height range, which would be 3 - 3 1/2 inches, and I only like to look at them on other people (probably women, to be honest), and I don't think they look very good on me. I was considering a pair to use as organ shoes, but soon realized I'd better stick to the specialty shoes for that purpose.

I find these a amazing and wanna buy a pair some dayso-danca-3-heel-character-shoes-p777-4291_medium.thumb.jpg.4af0c2245aa2d673c397b4786a3671b6.jpg

• Like 1

Character shoes are nice. I haven’t got a pair, but I may do one day. I prefer the high heel ones.

I have got a pair of ladies tap dancing shoes that look similar. They have a quite a low heel

I know a lady who does a lot of dancing. She knows I wear heels and she might be getting me a pair of dance shoes. They have open sides, toe box, heel cup and an ankle strap. The heels are a tapered thicker stiletto. She showed me her pair and I liked them straight away.

Edited by hh4evr1
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I have just got two pairs of character shoes. One pair is black and the other pair is tan/beige. They are the higher heeled (3”) style, like was pictured earlier. I tried them on in the dance shop and they fitted well.

The young lady working there said I walked well in them. They have a soft lining. They do lots of other styles. So I may buy some more.

One style had a shorter strap and a button to fasten them. The strap was too short to do up. The style with the buckle has a longer strap, so I got that style. I prefer the buckle style anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 9:42 AM, hh4evr1 said:

I have just got two pairs of character shoes. One pair is black and the other pair is tan/beige. They are the higher heeled (3”) style, like was pictured earlier. I tried them on in the dance shop and they fitted well.

The young lady working there said I walked well in them. They have a soft lining. They do lots of other styles. So I may buy some more.

One style had a shorter strap and a button to fasten them. The strap was too short to do up. The style with the buckle has a longer strap, so I got that style. I prefer the buckle style anyway.

Do you have photos 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if these count as "character" shoes, but I wear them a lot and I'm a character, according to those who know me!

One is Clarks "Adya Clara," the second is Clarks "Emslie Lulin," and the third is Clarks "Rosalyn Wren." They're all mary janes and very comfortable to wear.

(Some day I want to get a job being in charge of naming new styles for a big shoe company!)

Steve

Clarks Rosalyn Wren black4.JPG

Clarks Emslie Lulin brown 5.JPG

Clarks Adya Clara black.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2018 at 4:03 PM, hh4evr1 said:

I can do photos. At the moment my shoes are in storage. I have moved them temporarily to help speed up the moving of old furniture, once the new furniture is delivered.

Photos

On 8/13/2018 at 7:27 PM, Steve63130 said:

I don't know if these count as "character" shoes, but I wear them a lot and I'm a character, according to those who know me!

One is Clarks "Adya Clara," the second is Clarks "Emslie Lulin," and the third is Clarks "Rosalyn Wren." They're all mary janes and very comfortable to wear.

(Some day I want to get a job being in charge of naming new styles for a big shoe company!)

Steve

Clarks Rosalyn Wren black4.JPG

Clarks Emslie Lulin brown 5.JPG

Clarks Adya Clara black.jpg

Nope

Those shoes are Mary Janes, as you said. Character shoes are often Mary Janes style. I think character shoes is just a term used in dance/theatre.

Character shoes are often designed to have tap plates added to the toe and heel. Then used for tap dancing.