How many MEN'S shoes do you have?

jeremy1986

I have often found it amusing that I have around 20 pairs of high heels (shoes & boots), and I'm still on the look out for some styles I would like.

But on the male side of things, I generally make do with 4-5 pairs only for routine use: running shoes, casual lace up, chelsea style, Keen sandals for the summer and a pair of formal shoes.  I have another few pairs too (hiking boots, extra pair of formal etc) - but these 5 are the ones I wear routinely. 

So - how do you folks compare with this?

Whats YOUR ratio of mens VS womens shoes?

Mine is 5 M to 20 W!

Edited by jeremy1986
  • Like 1

Well, I am a boot/sneaker hoarder for sure...Love collecting vintage adidas superstars/stan smiths, along with classic cowboy boots.  So, I'm guessing I have about 40 pairs of guy's boots/sneakers, and only ten pairs of conventional women's boots....

Just now, pebblesf said:

Well, I am a boot/sneaker hoarder for sure...Love collecting vintage adidas superstars/stan smiths, along with classic cowboy boots.  So, I'm guessing I have about 40 pairs of guy's boots/sneakers, and only ten pairs of conventional women's boots....

So interesting! I wonder how many guys like you there are here :cheeky:

• Like 1

I don’t really wear shoes at all - just boots, usually hiking boots. I have one pair of shoes I use for cycling and the gym. Three pair of hiking boots, three pair of suede flat heeled otk boots, one pair of knee high biker boots.

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 1

In ratio....of mens to womans shoes, I would say 1:6. And looking at my mens shoes the majority are well worn and signficantly older. ie..work boots and cowboy boots. Not much reason to replace yet and are not as exciting to shop for as a new pair of heels in a striking color or style. They are not as appealing to look at either. Never heard anybody say those workboots are really hot! Guess I will keep looking for that next great pair of heels...

• Like 1

I stopped buying men's shoes in 2011, and started to purchase women's shoes. It has to do with fit and ankle problems.  My ankle problems disappeared once I gave up the (clown) male shoes.  I have about 8 left from then, most used to work in my garden when it is muddy.....I don't wear them otherwise.  So my ratio is about 8:50 and decreasing everyday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

If your male shoes were clown shoes then you were buying them too big. I have size 14 hiking boots and they are still not clown shoes - they fit.

I have a large toe box and a narrow heel.  I had to get men's size 9 4E just to get my toes in. Then I would have an extra inch of space around my heel and 1/2+ inch at my toes. Sandals were even harder. I could find sandals to fit my toe box but then I couldn't get the top tight enough.  I would pull the ends together and still be very loose around my ankle.  It wasn't a matter of buying them too big, it was a matter that my foot shape and men's shoes disagree.  Once I figured out that I had women's shape feet, I suddenly found shoes that fit. Now I wear women's size 10 shoes M. Because I have a large toe box, some women's styles (like pumps) don't fit, but there are so many different women's shoes it extremely easy to find shoes that fit. I went from hating shopping for shoes to now when I always take the time to look and try on heels. I go shoe shopping 2-3 times a month...got to see (and try on) the latest styles. ;)

I have unusually shaped feet too - narrow and with a very narrow heel and quite long. I have to shop a bit, and be willing to spend more, but I can find some quite well fitting men's boots

It just astounds me - well, not really, not anymore - how many guys on this site simply cannot wear any men's clothes or shoes, nor even abide the look of them. 

I own 6 pairs of flat or nearly flat shoes. 2 pairs of work boots, 1 pair of runners (which are too worn for actual running), 1 pair of tennis shoes (used for actually playing tennis), 1 pair of casual non-athletic shoes, and 1 pair of formal black oxfords. Of these, only the oxfords and the tennis shoes are technically "men's" shoes. 

I also own approximately 50 pairs of high heels. The work boots are the only flats I wear regularly. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I have to shop a bit, and be willing to spend more, but I can find some quite well fitting men's boots

After shopping for men's shoes for over 50 years, I can attest that there is nothing that fits my feet in the men's department. Only clown shoes.  After 3 ankle reconstructions I researched the shoe market and came to the conclusion that men's shoes are made in a rectangular shape and women's shoes are more pear like.  Shyheels, with a narrow heel and foot, you have a rectangular foot, so there are narrow men's shoes that fit you, you just have to look for them.  I have a pear shaped foot with an extra thick toe box. To get my toes into men's shoes I had to get an extra wide male shoe (4E), which meant my heels swam in the shoe and my ankles would turn extremely easily, over 100 times a year, sometimes 4-5 times a day. It's not a matter of making the extra effort to shop for men's shoes, it's that men's shoes just don't fit my feet, they simply aren't designed to. 

Yes. I wear clothes that start on the women's side of the store. Why? FIT. I'm not trying to dress as a women or look like a women, women's versions of certain things just fit me better. I rather dress in women's clothes that fit than in male's clothes that don't.

Fit and functionality over label (men's/women's) every time. I refuse to let my masculinity be determine by the labels on my clothes.  Too many people think the clothes make the man and too many men hide behind the suit. Be a leader not a lemming. 

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Cali said:

I have a large toe box and a narrow heel.  I had to get men's size 9 4E just to get my toes in. Then I would have an extra inch of space around my heel and 1/2+ inch at my toes. Sandals were even harder. I could find sandals to fit my toe box but then I couldn't get the top tight enough.  I would pull the ends together and still be very loose around my ankle.  It wasn't a matter of buying them too big, it was a matter that my foot shape and men's shoes disagree.  Once I figured out that I had women's shape feet, I suddenly found shoes that fit. Now I wear women's size 10 shoes M. Because I have a large toe box, some women's styles (like pumps) don't fit, but there are so many different women's shoes it extremely easy to find shoes that fit. I went from hating shopping for shoes to now when I always take the time to look and try on heels. I go shoe shopping 2-3 times a month...got to see (and try on) the latest styles. ;)

I don't understand how women's shoes can fit a wide foot better.  I can see the heel part, but if you have a large toe box area, there is not a pair of women's shoes made that are wider through the toe box than a pair of men's shoes - sandals or whatever.  I wear a men's 10 W.  If I try a women's 10 W, the toe box is too tight and the length is short.  If I go to an 11 wide, some sandals are ok - others still too tight, and pumps are still much too tight in 11 W.  I can occasionally find a women's 11 WW in a style I like, and that usually works.  But if you needed a men's 9 4EEE, there is physically no way a womens 10 M has a toe box that large.  Look at the dimensions when shown - the width dimension between mens 9 4EEE and womens 10 M is not really close.  Something is off somewhere.  I am unable to back up my statement at the present with measurements, but if I find a table showing width in CM or inches for various widths I will post.  Not arguing that they might fit you better, but I'm guessing something was off on the men's side of the equation then.  

Ok, I found the attached - http://www.sizecharter.com/clothing-fit-and-measurement/understanding-shoe-sizing

There you will see the width for a men's size 9 EEEE listed at 10.8 CM, and a women's 10 M at 9.7 CM.  Granted, not all shoes conform to these measurements, but I would assume that they are "typical" at least.  

I have a thick pad under my toes. My reflexologist says it is thicker than any she has ever seen. So it has more volume than wide. If I stand on a shoe chart I should wear men's 8.5. But I have never found a 8.5 that I can get my foot into. So I had to get 9 EEEE and sometimes 9.5 EEEE just to get my toes in.  I have placed a size 9 wide men's shoe back to back with a woman's size 10 and many seem that they are the same width at the toe box.  I also have an extremely high arch that adds to the volume in men's shoes. In high heels the arch is absorbed.

Now I not saying I fit all women's size 10. I can't get my toes into a pump, just cuts my toe tendons. and single straps at the toes is a style that is real tricky for me. I also have gone up to size 11 for a few pointed toe shoes.

I had only a few minor ankle twists since I started to wear women's shoes.

Edited by Cali

Hmmm, a preponderance of you have more women's style shoes than men's.  I must admit my ratio of men's to women's shoes is scandalously low maybe 1:8. I have two pairs of tennis shoes, two pairs of dress shoes for suits, two pairs of loafers which I use as slippers and two pairs of cowboy boots. I also have two pairs of rubber boots. HinH

• Like 1

One pair old shoes, two pairs casual shoes for warmer season, three pairs casual shoes for colder season, and 29 pairs high heels. Most heels are stiletto's, hight between 2-plus inch and 5 inch.

Greetings Hans.

• Like 1

Good question. I probably only have 7 or so pairs left of men's shoes that I wear less and less, and at least 75 pairs from the better side of the store.  Even my comfort, casual, athletic, and other flat  shoes are not from the men's department anymore. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hhboots said:

Good question. I probably only have 7 or so pairs left of men's shoes that I wear less and less, and at least 75 pairs from the better side of the store.  Even my comfort, casual, athletic, and other flat  shoes are not from the men's department anymore. 

That's cool - what do you wear for casual and other flats?

@jeremy1986  - oh nothing exciting, a variety of brands of low-mid heel wedge boots, sandals, slides, oxfords, pumps or either low or no heel wedge athletic type shoes.  I've really been focused on expanding my collection of lower heels the last couple of years.  I feel like I already have plenty of higher heels which is not always that practical.  lol 

Edited by hhboots
  • Like 1

Do sneakers count? If so, then I own four pair of men's shoes while I own an even 40 pairs of women's shoes and boots.

• Like 1

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

21 hours ago, JeffB said:

Do sneakers count? If so, then I own four pair of men's shoes while I own an even 40 pairs of women's shoes and boots.

They sure do! That's a nice collection

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:36 PM, hhboots said:

@jeremy1986  - oh nothing exciting, a variety of brands of low-mid heel wedge boots, sandals, slides, oxfords, pumps or either low or no heel wedge athletic type shoes.  I've really been focused on expanding my collection of lower heels the last couple of years.  I feel like I already have plenty of higher heels which is not always that practical.  lol 

I know what you mean. I hope I'm not "getting old" - but lately I have also been interested in the more "practical" shoe as well -  flat boots etc ... 

Edited by jeremy1986
  • Like 1

Same for me. A few years ago,I would have bought 6 inches court shoes only. Because they are  the best looking ones in my opinion. 

But for a home use only. Nowadays ,as I am trying to be more in a publicy use ,the 4 to 5 inches boots,Oxford are my last purchases. 

Total shoes I have: approximatively 40 pairs. 20 of those are in a self storage because of a lack of space 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

I know what you mean. I hope I'm not "getting old" - but lately I have also been interested in the more "practical" shoe as well -  flat boots etc ... 

Speaking of practical shoes, I can't wait for the weather to finally warm up so I can break out my flat sandals which I've come to love wearing.

• Like 1

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

15 minutes ago, JeffB said:

Speaking of practical shoes, I can't wait for the weather to finally warm up so I can break out my flat sandals which I've come to love wearing.

I know what you mean - my wife has some really cute ones!