Heel Heigth Advise

walkingtall

Since I am still new to wearing heels I'm asking for advise/help.

As I have mentioned before, the look of the heels is what attracts me, so I'm into stilettos pumps with pointed toes.  My collection consists of pumps with 4 3/4 and 5 inch heel height with no platform, which I wear daily. 

Last week, I came across two pairs of heels, also no platforms, which have 5 3/8 inch heel height.  As soon as I tried them on I knew I had to have them.  Because of their styling - having only a heel cup and a minimal toe box, they show off most of the foot.  The extra heel height angles and arches the foot down and the pitch is emphasized which I find HOT!

The problem is that I am having trouble walking in them.  I don't mean the discomfort/pain from the additional height, that I can deal with.  The thing is I am walking slow and small steps -  just can't get up to my usual gait.  Can't believe that 1/2 inch could make such a difference.

My question: I there a trick or way of walking that would help me walk normal?  Or is it just practice, practice and more practice?

I really want to wear them more - they're HOT LOOKING.

Thanks,

Walking Tall

• Like 1

Nope, if you're uncomfortable in that added height there is no making it look natural. I wear 5.25 inch max in size 11 women's and admit I am not nearly as natural as you put it than when I wear 5 inch heels. You will reach a point wear yur knees won't straighten and that will be your limit. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, walkingtall said:

Can't believe that 1/2 inch could make such a difference

Time to believe it, that extra 1/2 means you need to plant that heel tip much closer, so your gait is greatly affected.

• Like 1

walkingtall,

Remember my friend before you can walk tall you must walk well. I would hone your skill with perhaps a 4" wedge sandal then a 4" sandal with a stiletto heel then work up from there. How you walk in anything higher is a function of the height of your arches, your overall experience wearing heels, and the confidence you have in yourself and exude to the rest of the world. If you lack inner confidence then outer confidence is absent and your experience will not progress. Walking in heels takes time and determination. Some men walk much better than women in heels but this has more to do with confidence and experience than with apparent birth gender. Anyone wearing high heels in public is already a very confident person and are unlikely to be slowed down by conventional people. The fact is based upon everything I have seen, read, and experienced is that really nobody stands in the way of a person wearing high heels. The heels will follow or click their way across the pavement wherever the mind wills them to go. If you have the confidence then you a limitless GPS to guide to any destination. Read through the many stories related here as inspiration for future endeavors. Remember, you are alive and here today because you are able and willing. Enjoy what life has to offer while you are alive and healthy and able to absorb what is around you.

I am not an imposing figure at 5'8.5" or 174 cm but I can master heels of better than 7" or 20cm and routinely wear 5-6" or 13-15.5cm heels nearly every day and nothing stops or slows me down. The help is here and on youtube videos and the will already is in your head so there is NOTHING in your way. Build a solid foundation at lower levels and work up from there. Wearing heels regularly will strengthen calf muscles which helps you walk better in higher heels. Wear only what helps your confidence. You will progress as we all did. None of us were born in heels. But, with time and effort, one might think we were.  Keep striding!  HappyinHeels   

• Like 1

I agree with HappyinHeels in that you will have to do a lot a practicing walking in those heels before you will become comfortable. I would encourage you to do stretching exercises to both strengthen your leg and ankle muscles. You have GOT to be flexible to be comfortable.

Also, bear in mind you have a natural heel height where you will be comfortable without having to go through developing your body to handle the extreme angles of higher heels. Like I am 5'10" and based on my height, my good heel height is between 4" and 5". Can't change that much unless I want to go through the time and effort to stretch my body to handle the added heel height.

Good luck and keep strutting those heels!

• Like 1

Walking tall, there are so many variables the determine success when it comes to heeling, that is for sure.  I hear ya buddy, trust me, they look great and you had to have them, totally understand that feeling...

But, there is so much variance in fit, heel design and quality of construction that plays a major role in confident/easy heeling.  I believe that men often have an advantage over women, because our feet are usually bigger.  The longer the foot, the less angle of attack for any given shoe size, the easier the shoes are to walk in....To me, there is nothing more frustrating than to find a great pair of boots, but not be able to walk confidently for normal distances. 

Unfortunately, the higher the heel, the smaller the distance you travel in one step, for the most part.  You mention that pain is not an issue, just small strides.  I think everyone's advice about doing stretching exercises will help, along with practice.  The more you walk in your new favorite shoes, the more your legs will adjust, which will allow you to take longer steps in time...

Enjoy buddy, can't wait to see pictures...

Thanks to everyone for all the advise.

I agree with variables being a major factor. 

Construction and heel design do contribute to successful heeling.  I have noticed some shoe designers place the heel way back almost in line with the back of the heel cup.  I find these styles almost impossible to walk in.

As for fit, shoe sizing is all over the place. It's almost like throwing darts at the board.  In male shoes I wear size 8 - 8 1/2, but in women's my collection includes 8 1/2 - 10 which for me means the size is just a number to start from.  Some 8 1/2s I can't even get into and others fit O.K., some 10s fit tight and others slide off after walking awhile, making it more difficult and "less confident"

I plan to continue wearing these Steve Madden's and Justfab's until I have mastered them. Like you say PRACTICE!!!

Thanks again,

WalkingTall

Edited by walkingtall
  • Like 1

It is funny how some styles are easier to walk in too. I have a pair of ankle boots with a 3/4" platform and 5" heels, so about 4-1/4" difference. I have pair of pumps with  1" platform and 5-1/2" heels, so about 4-1/2 difference. The ankle boots stress my ankles more than the pumps, go figure!

When I started wearing heels a 3" heel would kill me, now a 4" to 4-1/2" is about my limit. I continue to exercise my feet an ankles, trying to stretch them to the next taller size. I might buy a pair of Pleasers with a 5" heel to practice with.