Does anyone play a musical instrument in heels, boots sandals.

geo

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

I play the iPod.

Footwear does not seem to affect the quality of the performance. 

That's the modern version of "I play the gramophone" :-)

Heels can actually help here, by making it easier to reach a record down from a high shelf, somethng that doesn't trouble ipod users.

I play  drums at my house.   And yes  occasionally I will wear sandals with about a 4 inch heel no platform because i want to be able to feel the pedal on the bass drum and hi-hats.    Builds up your calves and ankles and also changes how the attack of the feet to the pedals and really does improve your control,  and time signatures on the drums.   (I play jazz and old rock and roll)    A lot of control to keep my feet and the heels from sliding off the pedals.   ( I play heel down on the pedals  and if I do toe down! in heels I get a  lot more power  on the bass pedal and a louder  thump!    Sheila E from Princes band always wore heels standing or sitting playing percussion,   And she can work those legs and high heels and not lose a beat exceptional Drummer check out You Tube videos on her style of percussion.   And the gorgeous   heels she wears.        Nice Question.

• Like 1

The answer to the question is yes, sure I play in heels. However, there are very few instruments where it makes any difference at all. Not even piano, in my opinion. Drum kit, yes, pipe organ, yes. Other than that, I can't think of any other instruments where the choice of one's footwear would make any difference at all. 

I suppose we could think about marching bands in high heels. That might be interesting!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

good thread for good ol' thighbootguy ... if he is still around!!

Yep - saw him a few weeks ago. Had dinner at a nice little Greek place Still playing guitar, and now cello. Adding violin to his mix.He's doing fine.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2018 at 12:04 PM, alphax said:

There are specialty shoes for organ players that are designed for traction, feel, and a nimble profile.  Sadly, no 5 inch pumps though.

https://store.organmastershoes.com/womansorganshoe.aspx

I didn't care for any of the styles, men's or women's, offered by OrganMaster. I wound up going with Tic Tac Toe brand, which specializes mainly in dance shoes, but they have an organ shoe line. Totally satisfied with my purchase!

I bought "women's" oxford style, which is a little lower cut on the foot than the man's oxford. I like the look a lot better. 

IMG_9337.PNG

Edited by mlroseplant
Wording error

• 1 month later...

Heelers :   Thighbootguy  Played/Plays his guitar at several music events. Somewhere in these pages he has posted photos of same.

I have not heard anything of him lately. Have I missed a noticed of dropping out of HHPlace ?     spikesmike

4 hours ago, spikesmike said:

Heelers :   Thighbootguy  Played/Plays his guitar at several music events. Somewhere in these pages he has posted photos of same.

I have not heard anything of him lately. Have I missed a noticed of dropping out of HHPlace ?     spikesmike

He's not involved on the forums a of late. He has his reasons.

He's dong fine. I may see if I can catch him this weekend as I am in his neighborhood.

Edited by Heelster

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2018 at 2:00 PM, gibby said:

I play  drums at my house.   And yes  occasionally I will wear sandals with about a 4 inch heel no platform because i want to be able to feel the pedal on the bass drum and hi-hats.    Builds up your calves and ankles and also changes how the attack of the feet to the pedals and really does improve your control,  and time signatures on the drums.   (I play jazz and old rock and roll)    A lot of control to keep my feet and the heels from sliding off the pedals.   ( I play heel down on the pedals  and if I do toe down! in heels I get a  lot more power  on the bass pedal and a louder  thump!    Sheila E from Princes band always wore heels standing or sitting playing percussion,   And she can work those legs and high heels and not lose a beat exceptional Drummer check out You Tube videos on her style of percussion.   And the gorgeous   heels she wears.        Nice Question.

Another drummer who wears heels:

Pianist/keboard player/organist... Remember thousand years ago thought it would be ROCK to wear some crazy high heels on a gig with my organ with bass pedals... Except during the first three bars of the first song, got my heel stuck between the pedals about gazillion times.

I still appear on stage on high heels but once behind the B3 I slip them off, lesson learned.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have many creative members here including those who play instruments and I don't think footwear choice affected any of their abilities to produce fine music. I just returned from our forty acres in far northern Wisconsin where I conducted a concert of the animals and insects in the forest while wearing 5.5" wedge sandals. I'm not sure I had their attention but it sure sounded good!  Frogs and Chipmunks and Ruffed Grouse and Dragonflies and a Bald Eagle all contributing to nature's symphony. :wink:  I was so reminded it was good to be alive. HappyinHeels

• 3 months later...

I am a violinist and didn't appreciate how heels can enhance playing until I saw Phat Strad perform.  They are an all female group, with all members in really high heels, which became particularly interesting since they love pumping their wah wah pedals.  When I got home I had to try it for myself.  Not nearly as sexy as Phat Strad, but I had fun:

The organ is the most relevant musical instrument in this context.  My wife plays, and she has organ shoes with a heel.  The heel is soft, as not to damage the instrument, so ideally you don’t wear the same heels for playing as you do walking around.  I suppose there might be some sort of cap or cover you can put on a heel if you wanted to play in your street heels?  

On 2/23/2018 at 6:49 PM, geo said:

Can anyone play an instrument while wearing heels . 

Can anyone who could play an instrument before wearing heels somehow not play it while wearing heels?

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 12/10/2018 at 5:20 AM, jessica6 said:

This band maybe?

Lots of bongo playing going on there!

I'm not a percussionist per se', but I've played bongos for 40+ years, including in various musical performances.  

Never in heels (sigh).

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

• 3 weeks later...