Can Christian Louboutin patent red soles?

alphax

It seems a stretch to allow anyone to trademark a colour. Perhaps Monsieur Louboutin will have to focus his effort more on quality and uniqueness of design rather than just the colour of his soles to set his shoes apart from the herd. Hire more designers, fewer lawyers and get back to the workbench.  

Back in the 1970s and early 80s I worked for a fiberglass company who made insulation for buildings. They successfully trademarked "pink" color and surprised the world. So there is precedence for trademarking color.

Steve

Edited by Steve63130

Yes, and Cadbury has trademarked the particular shade of purple they use as packaging - but I believe the trademark extends only to the use of that particular shade in association with chocolate products. There were limits. Claiming an entire range of the spectrum - which frankly, depending on the eye the beholder could stretch from orange-red to purple-red - as exclusively 'yours' when it comes to shoe soles is rather sweeping.     

I think CL has a good case for patenting that shade of red on their soles. 

I had never heard of such a thing before they started doing it. 

Unless someone can show "prior art" i.e. somebody else put red soles on high heeled shoes, then they should be allowed to say that this is their trademark. 

According to the articles I've googled up, Louis XIV made red heels a privilege for the monarchy and their friends.  Heels only, it's unclear what color their soles were.

http://www.thefashionhistorian.com/2010/11/red-heels.html

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/emjl45ghf/louis-xiv-of-france-posing-in-red-heeled-shoes/#6c091a097a02

But traditionally in fashion, features can't really be patented. A new design trend like peplum skirts or shoulder pads can be copied by anyone else.

It's more like you can patent a logo like Nike's swoosh, or Louis Vuitton, or Tommy Hilfiger's logos.

Allowing patents on color or color scheme would be like saying Body Glove could patent day glo green or yellow and black swimwear.

• 3 months later...
 Found the different Louboutin pointy toe styles to be a bit confusing to differentiate in the beginning, so I thought maybe this would help.  I have done a little comparison between the Pigalle, Pigalle Follies, and So Kate, and I'll let you know which one my favourite is.

2016%2B0823%2BChristian%2BLouboutin%2BComparison%2BPigalle%2BPigalle%2BFollies.png
2016%2B0823%2BChristian%2BLouboutin%2BSo%2BKate%2B120.png

• The Pigalle is the "original" Louboutin style with a chunkier heel and shorter toe box and comes in 100 and 120mm.  
  • Then the So Kate came out which has a more slender heel that tapers a little, and a slightly longer toe box.  It only comes in 120mm.  
  • The Pigalle Follies is like a hybrid between the Pigalle and the So Kate style.  It has the front smaller toe box of the Pigalles, and the back slender heels of the So Kate.  It comes in both 100 and 120 as well.

I think it's very hard to differentiate between the So Kate and Pigalle Follies 120.  Next to each other, I'd be able to tell the difference by looking at the toe box.  But if I were just to look at one pair alone, I'm not sure I'd be able to tell which one it is!

So, I haven't tried on the Pigalle or Pigalle Follies 120, but the So Kate 120 is not that comfortable lol.  I can't imagine that the Pigalle or Pigalle Follies 120 would be much better.  I think there's just a huge difference between 100 and 120 even though 20mm sounds like such a small amount.  

Pigalle 100 and Pigalle Follies 100 fit very similar, so it's a matter of aesthetic which one you prefer.  I like both of them, to be honest.  I feel like the Pigalles are sturdier, but I love the ultra skinny heel of the Pigalle Follies.  I
Edited by MackyHeels

There's some confusion in this thread between patents and trademarks. Intellectual property is a complex field with much scope for interpretation. Here's a reasonable introdcution: https://yourstory.com/2016/06/difference-trademark-copyright-patent/

A red sole cannot be patented. It might be possible to make it a trademark but courts have disagreed.