My 6th annual farewell to heels

mlroseplant

Howdy folks,

It's time for my yearly pilgrimage to Vietnam, where my wife is from. As many of you already know (but some don't, I'm sure), my wife tolerates my heel wearing quite well, even if she is not super enthusiastic about it. However, wearing heels in Vietnam is proscribed by her, and that's just fine with me, at least for every day. However, I have plans to go shoe shopping with one of my nieces who loves and wears high heels. She knows about me. I will keep you informed of events.

• Like 2

mlroseplant,

Curious of your routing to Vietnam. I worked for almost 16 years at Chicago's O'Hare Airport and while, we never had any direct flights from Vietnam and anywhere in SE Asia, I imagine you could connect directly via San Francisco or Los Angeles. Or do you just go to Eppley Field in Omaha? Long ways for sure. Have a very nice trip there. HappyinHeels

On 2/10/2018 at 12:16 AM, HappyinHeels said:

mlroseplant,

Curious of your routing to Vietnam.

Our most usual (and preferred) route is DSM - ORD - ICN - HAN. Well, it's the cheapest, anyway. 

Upon our our arrival to my mother-in-law's house in Hanoi, some 30 hours after we left our own house, I ventured upstairs briefly to start putting some of our luggage in the bedroom. Halfway up the stairs, I stumbled slightly, prompting a "BE CAREFUL!" from my wife. 

I said it must be these doggoned flat shoes--I'm not used to wearing them. This elicited a very slight chuckle, rather than "the look." Progress comes in small increments sometimes. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Our most usual (and preferred) route is DSM - ORD - ICN - HAN. Well, it's the cheapest, anyway. 

Upon our our arrival to my mother-in-law's house in Hanoi, some 30 hours after we left our own house, I ventured upstairs briefly to start putting some of our luggage in the bedroom. Halfway up the stairs, I stumbled slightly, prompting a "BE CAREFUL!" from my wife. 

I said it must be these doggoned flat shoes--I'm not used to wearing them. This elicited a very slight chuckle, rather than "the look." Progress comes in small increments sometimes. 

Yes, I trip more often in flat shoes!

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton

A short report from Vietnam.

1) I miss my heels.

2) The shopping trip with my niece probably isn't going to happen.

3) I haven't gotten sick at all so far this year.

4) Heel heights and popularity continue to decline, at least as I see it unscientifically. I haven't been to a mall or to the movies, and certainly not to a club, so I shouldn't report definitively, but out on the street, the giant heels of the early part of this decade have all but disappeared. Kitten heels and block-heeled pumps of 2" or even less seem to be everywhere. Athletic/trainer type shoes seem to be much more popular this year among young adult women, the same age range that 10 years ago seemed to wear substantial heels everywhere, and who are now in their early to mid-thirties. Ankle boots are popular at this time of year, and they tend to have higher heels, in the 3 to 4" range. I've seen several pairs of thigh boots that I didn't before. The ones I've seen have sported 3 or 4" block heels.

5) I have had more time to post on here lately!

• Like 1

Glad to hear you are staying well. Is getting ill something that usually happens there? I as because I am going there in a couple of months on an assignment.

As to fashion, it is fickle. Everything makes a comeback sooner or later...

• 2 weeks later...

It seems I was a bit premature in my lament of this year's styles. Perhaps what I was observing is the fact that Tet Holiday has become a lot more casual than it used to be. Now that the holiday is over and it's back to business as usual, the heels have started coming out of the woodwork in great numbers!

It is true that the giant platforms of yesteryear are still gone, and maybe that's a good thing, but heel heights for pumps seem to average in the 3-4 inch range, and you do see the occasional pump that is significantly higher. Block heels do seem to be more popular this year, but stilettos are still quite common. I still can't figure out why anybody ever buys suede anything in Hanoi, but it's incredibly popular, and gets trashed quickly due to general sogginess and dirt. This ain't Dubai, or even Singapore. 

I will be returning to the U.S. tomorrow. 

mlroseplant,

Look forward to seeing you back in Iowa and on hhplace. Upon first seeing your heels you'll be singing "Reunited" (Peaches+Herb 1976) once again! Yes, the heel heights have decreased from where they were in 2009-2012 but something was brought to my attention very recently. I was at the Aldo Outlet store in Pleasant Prairie, WI and my favorite manager there showed me their online catalogue for 2018. It caught her fancy and she showed me, because of my affinity for them, the higher number of wedge sandals offered over 2017 selections. Better colors and more more styles. ENcouraging heights 4-5" not the 5-6" I'd love to see again but it was encouraging nevertheless. I tried on "Nelly" recently in size 10 but decided to wait for a price drop as it is still at launch price. HappyinHeels