It's been awhile

AZShoeNut

Howdy,

It has been forever since I have posted regularly.  The last three years have been absolutely insane.  Every now and then I get to poke my nose in and see what is going on but I rarely get a chance to post or even reply.  It has been nice over the last few months when I have been around as it seems like there is a real decent bunch of folks hanging out here these days.

With the exception of Walk a Mile in her Shoes events (which in Sacramento is a huge family affair with 800 - 1100 walkers) I have not been out in heels for just about two years.  I have been wanting to get out for some time and yesterday I finally got to do it.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a pair of wedge sandals from Shoe Show online (pic below) that I absolutely love and they actually fit well.  I have spent years trying to find a decent pair of tall wedge sandals and I finally found them.  I wore my new wedges with jeans and a black tee shirt out for some errands.  I went a couple towns over to Citrus Heights and did our grocery shopping, a trip to the pet store, and had two stops at gas stations.

It was so nice to get out again.  I felt like a rookie getting ready to go though.  The nerves and butterflies were huge.  I forgot just how nervous I can get when preparing to head out in heels.    I did, however, have a huge challenge getting my right shoe buckled - could not, for the life of me, get the strap poked through the second loop.  It was enough struggle that it used up all the adrenaline and I felt pretty well at ease after that.  I had no problems during the journey although I am pretty sure that and older fellow laughed after he saw me.  It didn’t break my spirit though.

It just felt so good to be back out in my heels.  Standing atop those shoes at the gas pump on a gorgeous sunny day, breathing crisp, fresh, post rainstorm air while the sun warmed my face was simply magnificent.  Walking confidently through the store like I was out on a leisurely stroll lifted my spirits and made me smile.  It would be great to do this more often.

Well, this was a lucky fifteen minutes at Starbucks.  I hope I get to poke my nose in and even participate more often.  Not so sure it will happen though as most of my time and energy is with my family and raising our little boy who struggles with high functioning autism - Asperger Syndrome.  So until the time that I can step aside for a few minutes and a cup of coffee I wish you all the best.

Larry

New Wedges.png

• Like 4

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Steve,

Thank you for the warm welcome back.  Even though some are purporting the planet to be flat, I can assure that I did not fall off the edge :-)  It was a huge joy to get back out on a beautiful day in a pair of great shoes.  I sure hope to do more than I have in the last few years.

I glad to see that you are still around here with a number of other good folks.  I hope to share more.

Larry

Hey Larry

Great to have you back, and sounds like you have a nice time out. Keep it up - sounds like you could do with a good emotional release every now and again!

Those a fab looking wedges, by the way - as you can see from my avatar, I have been known for appreciating a nice pair of wedges :cheeky:

Stay strong and hope to see you again here soon

PS:  just saw your heels on the site - once again - congrats! a good buy!

Edited by jeremy1986
  • Like 2

Hey Larry.....   Them be really cool sandals.  Glad you had fun getting out in them.  Springtime is almost here, hopefully you can get out in them more often!!

Nice to see you back, I know you are very busy with family and work...  

Take care, be safe.....   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Larry,

Yes indeed nice to see you again here. I've always wanted to know why you traded tax-friendly Arizona for hummmmmm for a rather set of affairs in California? Did work send you there?? Those are lovely wedges and very much the same style of wedges I buy every year. I have wedges 4-7" in black, brown, nude, cognac, blue, floral, and fuschia. Best type sandal for a trip or daily errands in my opinion. Although a nice ankle boot or a pump may work well at a dressier venue. You are a hero for giving your family the attention they need particularly your special needs son. It takes special grit and special heart to attend to such a situation so I salute you. I think we all do. Thank you so much for reconnecting here with us!  HappyinHeels    

• Like 1

Is the shoe selection any good there?  I thought it was pretty good in The Valley but am finding Dallas somewhat better.  I just bought a house in Dallas so it looks like I'm staying here for some time.  There was a little consideration of moving back to Arizona as my former employer wanted me back but I decided to stay here instead.  I pass right by a Nordstrom Rack and Saks off Fifth every day from work so it's so easy to pop in and see if they have anything new. 

Hi Folks,

Thank you all for the warm welcome back.

HappyinHeels, I wound up in CA because of the job.  CA is a very different world than AZ.  Taxes, healthcare, and cost of living all make it a challenge.  But a challenge that is worth it.  I love my job and my coworkers, several of which know about my heels.  And the location is absolutely beautiful.  Twenty minutes up the freeway and we're in the mountains and another hour and we're in the snow in the Sierra Nevadas.  Two  hours in the other direction and we're at Baker Beach looking back at the Golden Gate bridge and looking forward to lunch in San Francisco.  Even got to connect with SF at a Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event.  So currently the pluses of CA outweigh the minuses.

Blue Parrot, The shoe selection is pretty similar to AZ.  I too hit the Nordstrom Rack a couple times a year and typically walk away with at least one pair.  Torrid rarely has a decent selection of shoes.  The Payless with a large selection is in Elk Grove which is about 45 minutes away with no traffic so I haven't even been there yet.  My best option is still online.

Thanks for the Kudos regarding my family and my son.  Certainly a challenge but we're doing the best we can.  Often you cannot even tell from the outside that he struggles.  But inside the home, where he feels safe, this can really get hard for all of us.  But to stay not too far off subject, he asked to walk with me in the Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event this last year.  He and his buddy wore some flats and both families walked the event.  Proud papa moment  LOL.

I got to make another trip out in my wedges.  I had a errand to run in downtown Sacramento.  I wore them.  I spent about 15 minutes in a fairly cozy waiting room with about 8 or so other people all kind of sitting in a circle around the room.  I was sitting down so my shoes were clearly visible and I swear not one single person batted an eyelid.  Fun middle of the week evening errand.

We'll back to being Dad.  Hope you all have a wonderful week.

All the Best,

Larry

• Like 1

I've worn heels in Sacramento many many times, have had lunch at different breweries around there, never heard a comment except from a waitress who told me she loved the shoes I was wearing.

• Like 1

Had some more errands to run in downtown (midtown) Sacramento again last night and I received my first direct comment about my shoes since we moved to California.  I was wearing my black sandal wedges again (man I love these shoes).  As I was on my way out of the building lobby waiting for security give me my backpack back a fellow that I noticed on the way in who seemed a little rough around the edges was standing right there with some other people.  While I stood there I could see him looking down at his bag and then he gave an interested look and said, "Check out those shoes!  Man, that is way cool."  Then he looked up at me and gave me a knuckle bump.

It was a cool deal and another reminder for me to not judge how I think others might react.  In my mind I had that fellow pinned as someone who could talk smack when in fact he wound up being extra cool.

• Like 1