Adding Holes to Straps

Cali

I have large ankles, high arches, and wide toe boxes. So there are some styles (pumps) and many with toe straps that are just to tight to wear. So I look for those with straps that are functional and add holes if needed.

I have used NAILS, AWLS, and DRILL BITS to make the additional holes.

My question is "What do you use?"

All I use is an awl, always. I've never used a nail or a drill bit. I find that an awl makes a hole that is usually big enough for a thin buckle to go through and once that is done, it is easy to buckle from then on. 

Steve

On 12/23/2017 at 8:09 PM, bootlover78 said:

I happen to be fortunate enough to own one of these... and it's served me very well

il_fullxfull.1265982167_1g11.jpg

I also own one of those, and it's significantly better than an awl, especially if the hole is a larger size, like for a belt. 

Edited by mlroseplant
for clarity

I agree when making larger holes. I don't have a device like that, but I have a set of individual punches that make bigger holes. But for straps for sandals and slingbacks, which usually have a small buckle, an awl works fine for me awlmost awl the time.

:-)

Steve

I have two ideas on this. The first is to ask the store where you made the purchase to perforate the straps for you. Most nay store will do it immediately after you make the purchase. If not then I have used two different methods to make the hole myself. One is to use a three penny nail or a finishing nail and heat the end with a lighter. Make the hole from the underside so no black spot appears. The heat essentially seals the hole around the edges. The other item I've used is a centerpunch. Both have worked well for me. Many sandals need an extra hole or two to make up for straps shorter than they should be. These aftermarket, in the garage or workshop, fixes are part of the fun of buying shoes.  HappyinHeels

• 3 weeks later...

A proper (revolving) leather punch, as shown above, is the best hole-making gadget, especially for leather rather than synthetics.   But if you have a few workshop tools available, a punch for a particular size of hole is quite easily made from a nail or piece of steel rod of the right diameter.   File or saw the end flat and then, using a small-diameter round or half round file, make the end concave, keeping the filed edges sharp.   Alternatively, for small punches, a triangular file can be used to make a vee-notch in the end to like effect.   Or, if you have no suitable file for that profiling, use a flat file to angle the end of the nail or rod right across at around 45 degrees.

Take your punch and a hammer and punch through the strap or other item onto either a block of fairly hard wood or a flat piece of lead.   The sharp-edge should punch through quite cleanly.   If in doubt, practise first on a piece of scrap material, or even cardboard.    

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Cali said:

I broke down a bought revolving leather punch for $12 at a hardware store...much cheaper than making one.

I think you mean much easier - a home-made punch would have cost you pennies, assuming you had a file in your toolbox!

18 hours ago, Puffer said:

I think you mean much easier - a home-made punch would have cost you pennies, assuming you had a file in your toolbox!

Both easier and cheaper but also much less painful.  I have done some nasty things to many parts of my body, including my hands. While I have all the stuff and skills to make my own home-made punch, it would not be worth the pain my hand would incur. Plus I get multiple size holes all for the same price.

9 hours ago, Puffer said:

You were only supposed to punch holes in straps - not punch out the toes and heels of your boots!   :cheeky: :oops: 

I had no choice, I had to try out the larger size punch too.

Edited by Cali

• 4 months later...