NY Times Article "Are High Heels Headed for a Tumble?"

Lvemadomina

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/fashion/the-end-of-high-heels.html

I found this on the NY Times. It's a good read, but I find the title very misleading. Sure it's been the symbol of women for the longest time. But maybe what this article may be implying is that with all the Gender Neutrality in today's day in age. Maybe, just maybe things are making a turn for everybody wearing them as open, accepted, expression? I was kind of getting that vibe slightly from this article.

It does bring up a lot of good points, and is worth a read.

Thoughts?

Edited by Lvemadomina

Interesting. Also interesting that whenever there is any discussion of gender inequality in fashion or dress-sense it is always about women being shortchanged, never about gender inequality in the other direction. 

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 3

Not just about guys in heels but about any form of gender equality. The articles are invariably all about how women feel forced into gender stereotypes, leaving the impression that men - lucky men - have carte blanche when it comes to self-expression. And that is patently not true.  

• Like 1

Amanda,

I think we, as men, restrict ourselves. There is plenty of evidence on here that men are able to wear whatever they want (except for what their spouses may not tolerate). The demons are in our own heads for the most part, and once we break out of the path followed by the masses, we learn that society doesn't really care what we wear. If it's in good taste, we often get compliments!

Steve

• Like 3

Sort of related, I find that 4-5 years ago high heels were generally taller and wild. Heel heights have dropped and the styles have tamed down a bit. A few years ago 6"+ heels with a 2" platform were common. They are harder to find today. I bought my wife a crazy pair of leopard mary janes, I really wanted a pair for myself, but she would not have approved at the time. I have an eBay search for them and if my size comes up I am buying!!

On 22/12/2017 at 1:53 AM, Amanda said:

You're right  @Shyheels  Personally, I think that's a good thing that men should have their choices and parameters restricted.

Hopefully this is something we will see more of in the future.

Hmmmm - Why do I get the impression your not limiting the discussion to heels and fashion - - ??

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Amanda, for your words of perspective. Hopefully they will develop into the same kind of motivation for men that men used that encouraged women into the suffrage for equality and breaking the social stigma of only being long dress wearers that mostly hid their footwear.

Edited by Histiletto

The whole story of fashion and social change is quite interesting. Women certainly showed far more moral courage then men ever have in terms of breaking taboos and wearing the styles and fashions they wanted to wear, shrugging off the social slings and arrows and taking what they wanted to take.  

• Like 1

I found no such tacit support for men in the article. It seemed like a typical aloof piece of what passes for journalism these days from a newspaper which is clearly not what it was 40 years ago. And this woman's point??? I mean how many of us could afford to live in Palo Alto, CA where Stanford is located?? She complains about the pump but picks the ballet shoe which is just as identifiable with women. ISn't she really just fed up with the whole glamour thing which many women delight in doing? The article does nothing to advance any measure of fashion freedom for men by my reading of it. As far as the comment on women's voices this year I'd contend the issue of sexual harassment was out there 20 years ago but no media outlet seemed interested in going after the CLinton machine lest they damage their party and ideology. Not exactly the conscientious reporters they purport to be. HappyinHeels

• Like 1

No indeed, it does nothing whatever in terms of supporting fashion freedoms for men - and in doing so, ignores the subject of equality in fashion choices and the changing of  society's assumptions which the author purports to champion. 

As a journalist, magazine writer and photographer for more than 30 years, I despair of the standard of journalism today. 

And yes, the Clinton scandals of 20 years ago does indeed pose some awkward questions for the media...