Frustrated with non-durable top lifts

mlroseplant

So I bought these Max Mara clogs. They are just super cool looking, just the thing I wanted for wintertime. Italian made, high quality leather, the whole bit. They were a bit narrow, though, and my shoe stretcher couldn't seem to reach the exact spots that needed to be stretched. So I took the opportunity while I had a few days off of work for the Thanksgiving holiday to use the @Steve63130 method of stretching them by wetting them down and wearing them until they dried out. It worked well, but when I took them out for a spin in the real world, the top lifts (heel tips) were pretty much trashed after only a mile of walking on concrete. How disappointing! 

Oh well, now they are at the cobbler, getting the top lifts replaced. Given the relative broadness of the heels, they should be good for 50 miles after my cobbler gets done with them. It's not the first experience I've had with the heels of expensive Italian shoes wearing out quickly. I guess I have to again accept that I'm walking in shoes that really aren't designed to be walked in. Here's a photo of the damage:

IMG_8863.JPG

Mlroseplant.....   If those "Italian" heels can't take a mile on US concrete, how would they ever survive in Europe (Italy)?  The whole place is covered with uneven, broken, difficult to navigate in flat shoes, cobblestones!!  

Sorry about the damage, nice looking shoes tho.  Maybe a more detailed pic??  I've never tried the water stretch method, afraid that I would "wreck" a new pair of shoes !!

Happy Thanksgiving !!!!  sf 

P.S. Almost to 1,000 posts - a hhplace milestone !!!!

Edited by SF

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Hi Mlroseplant,

Though I don't wear my heels publicly,  having a large piece of property (by S.F. Bay standards) I spend a lot of time walking on exposed stone cement walkways doing yard work.  I have experienced the same problem, not in such a short period of time, but  to ruin the heel tips so that I don't want to wear them on the indoor surfaces - hardwood floors, tile and linoleum.  I have seen on Youtube demonstrations of replacing heel tips yourself and on Ebay sites that sell the heel tips every reasonably.  I have been thinking of giving it a shot.  Have you ever tried doing it? 

Walking Tall

I did it several times. Really very easy. 

I first replaced with metallic ones. The noise is fun. But not as confortable as plastic ones. Very slippery,so we must be very careful the way we walk. Could be considered as a training but not so much fun. 

So I replace the tips as often as necessary.It takes 2 minutes. Something that keep the old tip hold. Turning the shoes gently from left to right and that's it. Then the new one ,hit with a hammer. If it stays  too loose ,just some glue ( not a too strong one ) 

i would be happy to do it for you but it probably doesn't worth the travel  

I hope it helps 

I suppose I really ought to give it a try. I now have enough shoes that are old enough to where I can afford to experiment and make a mistake. With my work schedule, it sure is inconvenient, not to mention expensive, to go to the cobbler every time I need to replace heel tips. 

@Jkrenzer, "top lift" is a term of art in the shoemaking trade. But it's usually referring to the rubber part of the heel of a traditional man's shoe. Perhaps I am using the term incorrectly to refer to the much smaller tip of a much narrower heel. I am now not so sure of myself. At any rate, do you use rubber or plastic replacements? Where does one go about purchasing such a thing?

10 hours ago, Pierre1961 said:

I did it several times. Really very easy. 

I first replaced with metallic ones. The noise is fun. But not as confortable as plastic ones. Very slippery,so we must be very careful the way we walk. Could be considered as a training but not so much fun. 

So I replace the tips as often as necessary.It takes 2 minutes. Something that keep the old tip hold. Turning the shoes gently from left to right and that's it. Then the new one ,hit with a hammer. If it stays  too loose ,just some glue ( not a too strong one ) 

i would be happy to do it for you but it probably doesn't worth the travel  

I hope it helps 

I would like to try metal tips, but I am very, very afraid. I fell down once at the supermarket because of the slick, polished tile floor. I usually use hard rubber tips as a replacement for this reason. Plastic is often not much better for the same reason, and not very durable. I like the sound, though!

And if you could see the face of the local cobbler the only time I ask him to repair one of my shoe. Asking me: is that your? I suddenly had the feeling I was a freak. Or a plague victim  

this time I had no other chance  , the whole heel had left the shoe  

so now I won't go and see the cobbler anymore  

Metal tips are just something you get used to. Sure they are a little slippery compared to nylon/plastic but they are much more durable. They are quieter on some surfaces such as marble and noisier on others such as concrete or wooden floors. Asphalt is about the same. I wear skinnier heels (approx 5mm -7mm wide/diameter usually) and they do slip a bit but I'm used to it.

In terms of replacing heel tips etc - well I'v e looked at it as I get my heels replaced a lot but you risk damaging the leather on the heel, and you do need the tools for removing the heel tap - or the pin that holds the heel - especially so with nylon/plastic heels as often it remains in on its own. I take my shoes to the cobbler and he does it for me. I get looked after because I keep going there regularly but its worth it to look after your heels. I woudln't worry about the cobbler thinking they're your heels - always wear heels to the cobbler just to reinforce the point that they're yours!

Hello  nzfreestyler. I am not  surprised you don't mind going to the cobbler. 

For most of us it's more difficult. And even  more in small towns. The cobbler knows your wife doesn't size a 12.

Cobblers are often long tongued. 

I think you're walking in them wrong... guys tend to put their weight on the heel first as they walk.  When wearing heels, it is best to place your foot flat as you walk.  If that makes any sense. :o)

2 hours ago, Michelle said:

I think you're walking in them wrong... guys tend to put their weight on the heel first as they walk.  When wearing heels, it is best to place your foot flat as you walk.  If that makes any sense. :o)

Wrong, if you make contact with heel and soles at the same time you'll look like a bird, a dodo bird, while you walk. Heel first always.

I have heard to not walk heel first, but then I watch women walk in heels and I have yet to see a women walk toe first or heel and toe at the same time. All walked heel first. None of them walked like freaks and looked like they were walking properly and comfortably.

I have heard to not walk heel first, but then I watch women walk in heels and I have yet to see a women walk toe first or heel and toe at the same time. All walked heel first. None of them walked like freaks and looked like they were walking properly and comfortably.

15 minutes ago, Pumped said:

Wow! No clue why the triple post!! I know I didn't do it!

It’s the same for me when I post.  Things post with out me posting.   I posted a post the other day about posting pics.   Not a very user  friendly site for a tech chalanged person like me 

I always walk heel first, then toe. Definitely heel first. You'll walk like a duck with a waddle if you try being flat footed or toe first.

The trick is don't go too far heel first. If your heels are really high lead with your step with your hip as well which brings your hip forward with your leg as you step out, that makes the forward step smaller, decreases the angle your heel reaches out at - but it is still never flat footed or on your toes first. I actively use my hips in taller heels because it works and is graceful. I only wear stiletto heels and have no issues walking this way (oh - I do have a few slightly blockier heels but not many)

6 hours ago, Michelle said:

Whilst not wishing to contradict the girls, as they are the experts, I’m definitely a heel first kind of guy. Rolling from heel to toe just feels right to me, and sounds great. :cheeky:

image.thumb.jpeg.3838be786f2734781e78979d4cd0cdae.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.348b5243c4823a24d965d8e9c10f93aa.jpeg

Edited by aristoc
Typo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, aristoc said:

Whilst not wishing to contradict the girls, as they are the experts, I’m definitely a heel first kind of guy. Rolling from heel to toe just feels right to me, and sounds great. :cheeky:

Heel first absolutely. You can't truly glide and look natural any other way.

I almost always get my heel tips replaced with steel ones when they wear out.

• Like 1

I have added steel tips to a few pair unfortunately I recently had a steel heel tap break off at the interface. The pin was not removable and the shoes are a lost cause. My biggest issue with steel tips is the damage they do to wood floors. Not that I don't leave impressions from plastic tips, but steel ones are over the top in the damage they cause.  I will admit I love the look and the feel of steel tips, more "fun" than plastic. 

Definitely metal heels. The only damage I worry about is that metal heels damage my stockings less than nylon/plastic heel tips. The slightest touch with the plastic/nylon heels on a stocking-ed leg and you've got a ladder whereas metal heels are better. As for wooden floors - I'm selfish because I don't wear heels at home and I don't have much wood on my floors anyway! In that sense metal heels are fine for me.

Edited by nzfreestyler

It should be a given - If your heel tips are less than 9mm in diameter and you want to wear them for lengthy distances (like miles) on normal concrete walkways, you have to carry or have handy extra tips and the tools for replacements accessible where ever you are. Otherwise, you'll have to carry or at least have access to other pairs of back-up pumps in which buying them on the way may also be an option for those who can afford the time and expense. 

***Warning*** Be careful doing this procedure!!!! May be better for a shoe repair person to do this. However, I've had some heel tip post break off almost flush with the surface of the seat hole. Using a precision grinding bit, I make a centered depression in the exposed post. Then with a 1/16" drill bit for metal, I bore a hole through the post center so that I can bore incrementally a larger hole area with larger bits until either the post can be slipped out or totally bored out at the size needed for the replacement heel tip. Usually the hole becomes off-centered enough that the post is drilled away at a side point and the rest of the post can be extracted or falls out. If the hole is made too big, a metal sleeve needs to be inserted to correct this, depending on the area of the heel's capping surface there is left to work with. So again, be careful!

I have been occasionally successful doing this, but often I drift off center. This is mostly due to holding the heel stable while drilling. High heels by design are not square and want to slide away once force is applied by the drill.

On 11/29/2017 at 9:43 PM, Histiletto said:

It should be a given - If your heel tips are less than 9mm in diameter and you want to wear them for lengthy distances (like miles) on normal concrete walkways, you have to carry or have handy extra tips and the tools for replacements accessible where ever you are. Otherwise, you'll have to carry or at least have access to other pairs of back-up pumps in which buying them on the way may also be an option for those who can afford the time and expense. 

***Warning*** Be careful doing this procedure!!!! May be better for a shoe repair person to do this. However, I've had some heel tip post break off almost flush with the surface of the seat hole. Using a precision grinding bit, I make a centered depression in the exposed post. Then with a 1/16" drill bit for metal, I bore a hole through the post center so that I can bore incrementally a larger hole area with larger bits until either the post can be slipped out or totally bored out at the size needed for the replacement heel tip. Usually the hole becomes off-centered enough that the post is drilled away at a side point and the rest of the post can be extracted or falls out. If the hole is made too big, a metal sleeve needs to be inserted to correct this, depending on the area of the heel's capping surface there is left to work with. So again, be careful!

Ah, there is one operation I might actually be able to do. If there's one thing I'm pretty good at, it's running a drill motor fairly precisely, as it's pretty much a requirement for my job, and I've been doing it 20 years. However, I have yet to have this happen to me.