Jeremy's heel stories, pictures & thoughts

jeremy1986

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

For various reasons, I haven't heeled for quite some times. But that doesn't mean I don't window shop ;-)

Here is my Saved Items list from Asos. They have some fab styles, and good prices too! 

Click (and then again) to enlarge - What's your favourite??

screenshot-www_asos.com-2018_10.04-16-07-32.thumb.jpg.892b969457cab40bdb2c0b26c674b262.jpg

Edited by jeremy1986

• 2 months later...

Hi all.  Wow. Can't believe it's been a whole year since I started this thread. Have also accumulated another 1000 or so posts since then... So time for time an update.  

Its been a really rough year, more difficult than anything I've been through before, some or you will know from hints in other posts it from personal messages.  I'll write something up soon, as well as post some updates about my new boots! 

Thanks all for being here :)

5 minutes ago, jeremy1986 said:

Hi all.  Wow. Can't believe it's been a whole year since I started this thread. Have also accumulated another 1000 or so posts since then... So time for time an update.  

Its been a really rough year, more difficult than anything I've been through before, some or you will know from hints in other posts it from personal messages.  I'll write something up soon, as well as post some updates about my new boots! 

Thanks all for being here :)

Sorry to hear this years been a bit rough for you, hopefully next year will be better and you’ll get back to enjoying your heeling again, onwards and upwards mate 

j-1986,

Took a look at your selections. I definitely like the third and fourth wedges in the first row as this probably isn't a surprise. I also like the first wedge in the second row, the platform sandal in the last of the fifth row and perhaps most of all, the multicoloured wedge in the last row. Definitely all wedges I would wear during the warmer months and with different outfits. Does that help? HinH

5 hours ago, HappyinHeels said:

j-1986,

Took a look at your selections. I definitely like the third and fourth wedges in the first row as this probably isn't a surprise. I also like the first wedge in the second row, the platform sandal in the last of the fifth row and perhaps most of all, the multicoloured wedge in the last row. Definitely all wedges I would wear during the warmer months and with different outfits. Does that help? HinH

Thanks HiH!

The wedges in the first and 2nd row are all on the same "chasis" - same actual heel. I haven't bought these, but I have 2 other wedges heels from ASOS that also are on the same chasis build. Heel height is almost 6" for size 9UK with a platform of 1.5". Makes for a very comfy walk! Indeed - no surprise that you like those wedges - as do I  ;-)

The multicolored one in the last row I too like - almost bought it, as my wife also said she likes it, though added she would probably not wear them... so in the end went for what *I* preferred. 

Thanks for your feedback!!

5 hours ago, Cali said:

What's the heel (and platform) height on the boots in the 4 row, 2nd column?

Thanks

The site doesnt say, but I'd say 3.5".

By the way, price has come down to  31 pounds!

j-1986,

The "chassis" you mention is known as the "unit" in the shoe industry and the part over the toes is the "vamp". The part attached to the unit is the "top" of the shoe which, for us, would be the vamp and the ankle strap configuration. Custom shoes are usually made by the customer selecting a unit and then they add virtually any top you want. I have had four pairs made for me this way. Nearly all custom-made shoes in the USA are made by a few families in the San Fernando Valley of California. Everything else is either mass-produced by Pleaser or is imported largely from China but Brazil, Spain, and Italy are other important sources. HinH 

Edited by HappyinHeels
omitted letter
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HappyinHeels said:

j-1986,

The "chassis" you mention is know as the "unit" in the shoe industry and the part over the toes is the "vamp". The part attached to the unit is the "top" of the shoe which, for us, would be the vamp and the ankle strap configuration. Custom shoes are usually made by the customer selecting a unit and then they add virtually any top you want. I have had four pairs made for me this way. Nearly all custom-made shoes in the USA are made by a few families in the San Fernando Valley of California. Everything else is either mass-produced by Pleaser or is imported largely from China but Brazil, Spain, and Italy are other important sources. HinH 

Thanks for that - I knew I didn't have the right terminology :D

I assume most of all footwear (and clothes in general) comes from China these days... and I cant figure out why all wedges and most heels on Ali Express are quite ugly... while their factories (sweatshops?) are churning out lovely looking heels for the chains around the world! 

It's all about money my friend. Why make things in a country with high standards like the U.K., USA, Canada, Australia and many others when you can have it made in China where the environment is badly treated the way it always is in communist hellholes. China's air is so bad in its cities because the rest of the world helped make it so. We can talk about climate accords and the like but we really need to examine the way we do things and make better choices. One of those is to avoid products made under less than favourable conditions. Pay the extra money and try to buy goods manufactured under good working conditions. It helps the country you live in and it helps the environment. Buy local whenever possible, recycle everything humanly possible, and try to make the world a better place by your simple acts and not with just words. One need not be an Al Gore or other such noted celebrities talking a good game rather a solid citizen walking the walk. HappyinHeels 

Edited by HappyinHeels
grammar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jeremy1986 said:

Thanks for that - I knew I didn't have the right terminology :D

I assume most of all footwear (and clothes in general) comes from China these days... and I cant figure out why all wedges and most heels on Ali Express are quite ugly... while their factories (sweatshops?) are churning out lovely looking heels for the chains around the world! 

The People’s Republic is still a developing country.  They have jumped straight into mass producing goods that look exactly what the western designers have asked for, and they will cut corners in the manufacturing process to save money, as long as most people won’t notice and still buy the product.  

But the People’s Republic, not having the long heritage of craftsmanship in western clothing, are still a long way away from creating their own designs and selling them on Ali Express.  That is why what is out there looks so awful.  They are dependent on the West to design a good product.  Design, aesthetics, and craftsmanship take a lot more time to learn and understand.  

This lack of understanding of craftsmanship, to me, is the most significant compromise when buying Hecho in China.  They have no appreciation for using nicer materials that feel better against your skin, looks more elegant, or is sturdier when under stress.  A true craftsman that has built custom shoes has spent so much time in the product that he and she cannot help but think through all these things as they design and create their work.  

I wouldn't bet Chinese people won't be able to create nice things in the future. I met in Beijing some people having a real good taste. Ok,not the majority. 

And what about that growing obvious lack of taste I can notice in America ( sorry friends) and more and more often in old Europe ( shame on us) 

i am afraid Chinese people produce what we ask for. Cheap,cheap and that's it. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

There is something to what you say, but there are plenty of people (alas not enough) for whom quality and taste are important enough to pay a premium. 

The false economy of cheap goods is something we have to evangelize, especially to young people.  Only rich people can afford to buy and wear out dozens of cheap shoes every year.  If I can afford only one pair of shoes, I make sure that pair is well built, comfortable, and looks good.  Whenever I talk to guys about western boots, one common complaint I hear is that they are too expensive.  But these guys have never owned a pair of shoes with a serviceable heel, or a Goodyear welt, and will keep chewing through dress shoes every few months while I enjoy the same boots I have been wearing for years, which fit like a pair of socks.  

Exactly! In terms of boots, would much rather have fewer pair pair but have them beautifully made and well fitting, able to be repaired or re-soled as required. In the long term such boots are by far the better bargain. Who needs 25 or 30 pair of mediocre boots when for the same money you can have a couple of pair of really lovely boots that will last for many years?

• Like 2

Just now, Shyheels said:

Exactly! In terms of boots, would much rather have fewer pair pair but have them beautifully made and well fitting, able to be repaired or re-soled as required. In the long term such boots are by far the better bargain. Who needs 25 or 30 pair of mediocre boots when for the same money you can have a couple of pair of really lovely boots that will last for many years?

Who made your boots? Was it Jean Gaborit?

Hi all

I still haven't worn my new boots properly - just tried them on briefly. The OTK boots are actually thigh high!  I didn't think they would be so high!  So they will be a little tricky to get on/off, even more than I thought. They do fit well however, and I love their look. So thinking about that one. 
The flats I haven't tried on properly even - just one of them. Seemed difficult to get on - there is a hard piece in the rear of the boot which prevents me from just sliding my foot in -I guess they are a little small, despite being a UK9, which should be more than enough. Anyway -once I squeeze past that, they seem to fit will. And that's on my larger foot! Hope the other one is a better fit at least.... so here's hoping I don't lose out of both boos in the end!

Today, I decided to heel again - just a little....  and chose my laser cut ankle high booties from New Look  - they fit very well, and I can manage their 4.5" heel quite well.

Attaching some updated pics.

IMG_20181216_093938.jpg

IMG_20181216_093450.jpg

IMG_20181216_093644.jpg

IMG_20181216_093751.jpg

• Like 7

On 12/16/2018 at 8:04 AM, nzfreestyler said:

these booties would be a great look with sheer nearly black hosiery and a black skirt?

oh I just saw the shoe choices.... hmmmn only takes a second for me....

I love these too NZ , and their price is right too - unfortunately currently out of stock!! 

Edited by Tech
Do not quote the actual images themselves.

19 minutes ago, nzfreestyler said:

bugger

got to have good couple of nude pumps in the wardrobe !!

yup... my wife taught me that... till then I only bought black! I am now the proud owner of some lovely nude pointy toe pumps, and as well as high wedges!

A knee length skirt flatters everyones legs.... and if you have the figure for it and the right shaped slender legs/hips/derriere you can go shorter. But I am certain that all legs from the knee down look better in high heels. Bare legs is more slimming looking - and lets one appreciate ones shoes better ?

Just my ramblings.

I want to see these nude pumps now....

5 minutes ago, nzfreestyler said:

A knee length skirt flatters everyones legs.... and if you have the figure for it and the right shaped slender legs/hips/derriere you can go shorter. But I am certain that all legs from the knee down look better in high heels. Bare legs is more slimming looking - and lets one appreciate ones shoes better ?

Just my ramblings.

I want to see these nude pumps now....

Will get working on them for you! They are not as sexy as yours though …