Jeremy's heel stories, pictures & thoughts

jeremy1986

2 hours ago, RonC said:

Thanks for all those comments Jeremy!  

Unfortunately for me, age and health issues are causing me to go the other direction.  I am finding anything at about 4" or up is now beyond my comfort limit.  My feet just can't take the pressure on the forefoot, and my ankles are not as flexible as the used to be.  So I enjoy what I can wear.  That said, as I've expressed in the past, to my eye, a heel of greater than 4" holds no real attraction for me.  I do have to say that it seems the vast majority of HHPlace participants seem to like the more extreme heights.  

Agreed. Somehow so many sky scraper pleasers!!!

The members here buy Pleaser for one thing....larger sizes. There are several subgroups at HHP, here are just a few:

Everyday wearer (includes me)

Event/party wearer 

Out of town 

Home

Closet

===

And @RonC I hope you wear gel pads.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RonC said:

Thanks for all those comments Jeremy!  

Unfortunately for me, age and health issues are causing me to go the other direction.  I am finding anything at about 4" or up is now beyond my comfort limit.  My feet just can't take the pressure on the forefoot, and my ankles are not as flexible as the used to be.  So I enjoy what I can wear.  That said, as I've expressed in the past, to my eye, a heel of greater than 4" holds no real attraction for me.  I do have to say that it seems the vast majority of HHPlace participants seem to like the more extreme heights.  

I admittedly fall into the higher heel category. Not apologizing. I'm getting older, 57, and see the end of higher heels but until it gets here I'm living it. Very public and always 4.75 to 5.25. Admittedly 5.25 is not what it used be.

• Like 1

I still occasionally wear my Pleasers, not as much though. I've been wearing single sole pumps more lately. Platforms was a phase...maybe after I broke my foot wearing them changed my taste. I prefer 4+ inch pumps. They pair well with flare pants (my fav) and seem very flexible with most clothing. I havent posted anything on this site in awhile but I do read the posts. I should post a picture soon, i just bought a pair of pink ALDO pumps. Stay safe and healthy, friends. 

• Like 1

Interesting replies, all! I can't really explain why I like what I do. I think part of it has to do with what one gets used to seeing. Back in the day, and I guess my perspective is from the 1980s, a 4 inch or 100 mm heel was just insanely high. Most women wore 2-3 inch for their "high" heels. There were a few heels that exceeded 4 inches (I seem to remember some metal heeled pumps from The Wild Pair that probably exceeded 4 inches, but they were certainly not daily wear for people). Then, in the 90s, heels basically went away for a while. Then, giant platforms came on the scene, with giant heels, like the Spice Girls wore. Finally, Christian Louboutin married the 80s with the 00s, and made shoes with giant platforms, but with insanely tall stiletto heels. There was nowhere to go but down from there, and that's kind of what has happened. What I see in real life, when I see heels at all, are generally 2-3 inch heels. In the Instagram world, which is a bit of a fantasy world I admit, what you see most often these days are 100-120 mm heels, single sole, or very small platform.

What has all this rambling got to do with which camp I'm in? I have no idea! I just like to hear myself talk, I guess. Maybe I need to work on that. I have two reasons for liking higher heels: 1) For whatever reason, 70 mm heels just don't look "right" to me. I have no idea why they don't look right to me. To me, the most attractive range is in the 120-140 mm, or 4.75-5.5 inch range, with no/minimal platform. This would be in size 9, of course. 2) I like the feeling of accomplishment of wearing the higher shoes, especially lately, because I've been stagnant for years, athletically. If I must be truthful, yes, it is a bit of a contest, but only with myself. It's no different than learning how to do a handstand, or learning a difficult piece of music. It's something I wish to accomplish for myself, and it doesn't really matter if I never get there, I'll just have to continue enjoying the slightly lower heels. To be clear, I'm not there. 120 mm/4.75"  is pushing it for right now. 4.5" is getting to be reliable these days.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Cali said:

nd @RonC I hope you wear gel pads.

Cali, I'd love to.  But I have a difficult enough time trying to find shoes that fit at all, much less a pair with room for pads.  Yes, there are some shoes available in sizes such as 11WW that might allow that, but I haven't found anything in that size range that I would even consider buying.  They tend to be low heel, clunky looking things for the most part.  That said, I am not an all day, walk alot wearer, so I can get by for the time I am in heels.

12 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

I admittedly fall into the higher heel category. Not apologizing. I'm getting older, 57, and see the end of higher heels but until it gets here I'm living it. Very public and always 4.75 to 5.25. Admittedly 5.25 is not what it used be.

And you wear them well!  I'd like to be able to wear what you do, but honestly, as mentioned, I am perfectly happy with a 4" heel.

22 hours ago, Barr said:

..They pair well with flare pants (my fav) ...

My wife actually said to me in the car that night after we shoe shopped, that I should get a pair of boot cut / bell bottom jeans so that I can sit at my desk with the kids seeing right away what kind of shoes I'm wearing.... I think it was a joke though 😅

Edited by jeremy1986
  • Like 3

On 10/12/2020 at 5:03 PM, Cali said:

The members here buy Pleaser for one thing....larger sizes. There are several subgroups at HHP, here are just a few:

Everyday wearer (includes me)

Event/party wearer 

Out of town 

Home

Closet

===

And @RonC I hope you wear gel pads.

18 hours ago, RonC said:

Cali, I'd love to.  But I have a difficult enough time trying to find shoes that fit at all, much less a pair with room for pads.

You know, everybody says you have to have a pad. I am not convinced. I am not convinced in flat work boots, and I am not convinced in high heels. I understand that everyone is different, but for me, the amount of cush in the shoe has zero correlation to how much my feet hurt at the end of the day. My absolutely most comfortable shoes put one's feet on just hard wood, but in contrast, squishy Doc Martens were not as pain-free as some would have me believe. I cannot tell you what the answer is, but I think it's more complicated than mere padding. I do use padding in many of my shoes, but it's to correct fitment issues.

2 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

My wife actually said to me in the car that night after we shoe shopped, that I should get a pair of boot cut / bell bottom jeans so that I can sit at my desk with the kids seeing right away what kind of shoes I'm wearing.... I think it was a joke though 😅

It's good to hear jokes, even if they are misplaced. How many of us used to wear boot cut jeans in order to hide our heels?

• Like 2

I sometimes use boot cut jeans for that purpose. I feel better in some particular places. But if I am honest not sure it changes anything. People can notice easily. The way we walk,the noise ....

Concerning pads I  am I not convinced neither. Never noticed any improvement in term of confort . More often the opposite. 

What helps me a lot is adding that special back insole “walk fit  platinum “

it gives a better arch. And even if it add 5 mm under the heel the arch it distributes  the weight equally on the toes,the heels and also the middle part of the feet. No more balls pain. 

Maybe just valid for me ? 

I have a large toe box and I have trouble find shoes that fit the toe box. Pumps are a definite NO GO. Pointed shoes are hard, some okay if I go up a size but others going up a size make them too big. When I started to wear heels a Aldo store manager gave me a pair of the pads below. I wear them in every heel I own. They are 1.57 mm (1/16 inch) thick. But they do two things for me. (1) they stop my foot from sliding down the heel during the day (jamming the toes) and (2) they cushion my toe bed.

I now have almost every type of pants with inseams, from short shorts 3 & 4 inch, knee length (long) shorts 8 to 10 inch, 28 inch hyper stretch, 30 inch hyper stretch, 31 inch straight, 32 inch , 33 inch, to 34 inch hide-them-heels boot cut and flare. Today I wore my Nike leggings.

What I wear depends on many things. If it wasn't for Covid, you could see me go to work in short shorts and knee high stilettos.

I'm a wild senior citizen....8)

pads.jpg

Edited by Cali
  • Like 2

I have a lot of heels in the 4.75-5.5"/12-14 cm range despite some of my postings or wearing heels in some members' presence higher than this. When Bakers was in operation so many of their heels were in the 5-5.5"/12.5-14 cm range and I bought many especially pumps back then. I do miss them. I never quite found a good replacement store. Most of my jeans are bootcut and I do have one flared pair which I have worn into Chicago with some high wedges. Nice adventures. HinH

• Like 3

On 10/14/2020 at 4:42 AM, mlroseplant said:

How many of us used to wear boot cut jeans in order to hide our heels?

Guilty. I'm thinking of taking two pair that have a cute design & having them converted to capris.

55 minutes ago, mlroseplant said:

This got me to thinking. OK, so if some of us use long pants to hide our heels (past or present), why do women do it? They presumably have no need to hide their heels.

Nor any need to show them off either

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

This got me to thinking. OK, so if some of us use long pants to hide our heels (past or present), why do women do it? They presumably have no need to hide their heels.

Yeah the overall effect of long bootcut pants draped over heels helps create a nice long-legged silhouette.  I don't think it's about hiding or showing the heels.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

Fat ankles? Ugly feet? Or just the look of long lines.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

Yeah the overall effect of long bootcut pants draped over heels helps create a nice long-legged silhouette.  I don't think it's about hiding or showing the heels.  

There is a gal at our church, back when we actually used to have in-person services, who nearly always wore boot cut pants with high heels. For whatever reason, I find it very attractive on her, not so much on myself. Hopefully once our in-person services resume, she will continue her fashion habits.

Way back in the day, I think about 2004 or so, I worked a job at the Iowa State Capitol building during the legislative season, so naturally there were a lot of lobbyists around. Many of the lobbyists were women, and of course, most of them were quite attractive. The bootcut/flared pant style was very much in vogue at the time, and I remember quite a number of tiny pins of stilettos peeking out from the bottoms of pants as these women walked on the marble floors of the Capitol building. What a tease!

• Like 2

Yes.  I always found that a bit frustrating!  I wanted to see the heels.  Yet here I am doing the same thing...lol.  However, contrary to my wanting to see the heels these women were wearing, I doubt most of the viewing public would actually want to see me in heels!

2 hours ago, RonC said:

Yes.  I always found that a bit frustrating!  I wanted to see the heels.  Yet here I am doing the same thing...lol.  However, contrary to my wanting to see the heels these women were wearing, I doubt most of the viewing public would actually want to see me in heels!

I disagree. I'm not a sexy guy. I'm in heels a lot. I don't CD otherwise and don't try to look fem, yet seem to pull off stilettos well. Lots of compliments, never an issue. Just shoes that happen to have 5 inch thin heels and low cut vamps.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Been a good few months since i wrote here.  Lots been going on, but very little heeling, what with the kids being home etc.

There have been a few interesting heel related stories and transactions - i'll try add them bit by bit.

Will start off with some wedges i recently bought (in Jan i think), on one of Asos's specials - discount off discounted items.... which made these hard to refuse along with some additional items (for the wife too).

These i actually only got to try on properly today. The wedge is 5.5" with a significant platform, which makes them easy to walk in - and exactly the same structure as some of my other tall wedges from Asos. There is a fair amount of silver woven into the wedge heel, that wasnt clear to me from the site, but it doesnt detract from the heel i think.

a great fit and a good buy!

IMG_20210307_124108.jpg

IMG_20210307_124011.jpg

IMG_20210307_123945.jpg

IMG_20210307_124202.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, jeremy1986 said:

Been a good few months since i wrote here.  Lots been going on, but very little heeling, what with the kids being home etc.

There have been a few interesting heel related stories and transactions - i'll try add them bit by bit.

Will start off with some wedges i recently bought (in Jan i think), on one of Asos's specials - discount off discounted items.... which made these hard to refuse along with some additional items (for the wife too).

These i actually only got to try on properly today. The wedge is 5.5" with a significant platform, which makes them easy to walk in - and exactly the same structure as some of my other tall wedges from Asos. There is a fair amount of silver woven into the wedge heel, that wasnt clear to me from the site, but it doesnt detract from the heel i think.

a great fit and a good buy!

Spring is almost here. Time to break out my wedges as well!

• Like 1