Do you ever wear sandals that are too tight!

gibby

I admit that I have a few pairs of heels that are too tight  over the toes.   One brand I have is called Vaneli and the sandal is called Milena an h-band type sandal. I like these sandals and wear around the house  once in a while they are leather just cannot get them too stretch?   I know if they do not fit the forum recommends not to wear because of possible injury or plain being uncomfortable.   And yes when I take them off the red mark  of Sorry you should not be wearing those(lol)    But is it alright to wear an hour here and there.   I have worn over at the Sister in-laws before and she thought they were cute especially when I had on some O.P.I Red nail polish on the toe nails.    

I have some sandals (and other shoes) that could be a little larger in length or width or both. Some could be stretched, but others probably won't. While I wear them for short periods of time, I'm finding that as I get older (and my feet have developed bunions and a hammertoe), I have less patience for shoes that are uncomfortable or painful. I'm more selective in what I keep and toss. I've learned that if I try on a shoe that doesn't feel good right away, it probably won't get better later, so I better move on and get something else. I call it the "WOW" factor. Ever had the experience where you try on a pair of shoes that fit perfectly, the arch is in the right place, the toe box is roomy enough, the heel feels great, and the shoe seems like it was custom made for you? You go "WOW!" That's a 10. On the other foot, surely you've all tried on shoes that are too small or too big and you say, "Aw, %&#*!" That's a zero. Everything else falls in between. I tend to keep the 8s, 9s, and 10s and let the others go.

I have to confess, however, that I have some shoes that have low WOW factor numbers, and common sense says to get rid of them to make closet space for something better, but my emotions say aw, they're gorgeous, so keep them and maybe someday by magic they will fit better; keep trying. Of course, that's highly unlikely, but yes, there are some styles I just can't bear to part with. 

So, if you like them, keep them, wear them. But do listen to your feet. When they tell you they hurt, either fix the shoes (stretch, add arch support, etc.) or put them in the discard pile. Life is too short for shoes that hurt, and the pain is telling you that those shoes could damage your feet with too much wearing. Your foot bones get fragile with age, so don't risk it. Look for shoes that fit better. Besides, what's more fun than shoe shopping?

Hope that advice helps.

Steve

Hi Gibby,

Often I wear heels that are too tight.  Truth be told, most of my heels are tighter than they should be.  There are two main reasons why I buy them tight.  First of all I am addicted to the stylish look that a pair of spiky stilettos with narrow pointed toes creates.  Even though I only wear a men's 8 which is small for my height, my feet are not narrow.  Thus this style shapes my feet into the look I want.  Secondly, I buy most of my heels at thrift stores where you either take what they have or leave it .  So when I see a pair of stilettos I like, my addiction kicks in and I get into them.  Good example, last week I saw a pair of Jessica Simon's pumps that have a nice cut to them in size 9.  When I tried them on I said s#*t too tight, but looking in the mirror I saw by scrunching my toes they created really HOT toe cleavage.  Because of the look I had to get them.  I don't wear heels in public, yet.  I do wear heels every day from 4-8 hours at a time.  I am aware of the effects that too tight shoes can cause, but like any addiction the desire over powers.

As far as you wearing your tight sandals, like the others have said - wear them around the house and when your feet are sore change to something else. 

Just do what makes you happy!

Walkingtall

I think we've all been there on shoes that were too tight.  I really need a 12, but not many of those around, especially in styles that I like, so I often by an 11 and suffer through.  Pumps can be nasty, but a sandal that cuts into the foot can be most uncomfortable as well.

I find boots easiest for comfort. Sandals are the worst because they have a comparatively small area in contact with your foot, so any rubbing/digging in is concentrated. It's tempting to wear uncomfortable shoes because you like the style, and that's not too bad if you're not walking anywhere, but if you're putting the miles in, like I do, you need to be absolutely sure they're not going to cripple you after a few hundred yards. I have a couple of pairs of sandals that are comfortable for all-day wear but one of them is falling to bits. The other pair is holding up well, and I practically lived in them over the summer.

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton