First Time Heels in Public - Scotland

Sefir

Hi everyone, 

I've worn heels on and off privately for a few years now(being 21) and only recently with the use of a car, been able to use them more often for driving. The first time my mum found out was in uni halls and she thought there was something wrong with me... and not to ever let my dad find out... so you can tell the privacy issue with heels and still living at home with parents.

I'm wondering about going to drive today in the heels but also filling up at a 24/7 self-service station. I've never tried the heels out in public spaces, so I'm not sure about an Asda 24/7 petrol station. Has anyone around the UK done this stuff before? How is the reaction? These are the shoes https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000XUPC6O/ I really like them, although their use on a dirt back-road might not have done them much good haha

The second point I mean to ask was: I can only buy any shoes like heels or boots online and for collect services like Amazon Prime with lockers and post offices, so as an alternative, is there's any sort of place that people would recommend for size 10 heels/boots around Edinburgh/Glasgow/Fife?

• Like 2

Hey sefir! 

You do what you want to do. I’ve been wearing heels for a while only told my wife recently, and she’s fine with it. I’ve never had the courage to go outside in them but would 100% love to one day! And those heels you bought are nice :)

Hope you have a lot of future adventures in them! 

• Like 3

Sefir,

Be your own person. Wear what you want. You don't need anyone's permission. Yes, you'll get looks, but rarely questions or comments. You may get compliments from women who love shoes. But most people don't care. Teenage girls in groups will giggle. Ignore them.

It's a great feeling of freedom to wear the clothes you want. Be in command of your life. You only get one chance at it, so make the most of it. Beware, however, that you MUST practice in heels to walk gracefully and confidently. You must take the time to do it, and you can't do it indoors - practice outside on real pavement. Watch for grates, cobblestones, sidewalk cracks, and other obstacles. Walking like you're an accomplished high heel expert exudes confidence and most women find confidence sexy. Go for it!

Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I bought a pair of those. Great shoes. I'd advise something a bit more subtle for public wear, even if only ordinary leather rather than patent, if you can handle heels that high confidently on varying surfaces. Remember that wearing them indoors is very different from wearing them on hard and varying surfaces, with rough ground, cracks, slopes, steps, etc. I've worn stilettos a couple of times for shopping but usually stay with wedges or block heels about 4-4.5 inches, and I've never had a comment. Most people don't even notice. My wife accepts that sort of heel and I think occasionally makes me walk on difficult surfaces with her on purpose. Yesterday we went for a walk on the beach, which is a mixture of shingle and sand, with me in my 4.5 inch wedge boots. They're old ones so I didn't worry about the damage from the stones!

• Like 3

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton

Sefir

Welcome buddy, glad to have you here....Those Amazon boots look great buddy!  The question is:  how well can you walk in them?  Please do not attempt any public heeling in heels you can not walk smoothly/relatively confidently in.  Stumbling, or being outwardly nervous in public can be a big set back when it comes to public heeling.  Trust me, I DO understand, we all really want to jump out into public and show off our killer 5" heels.  But, like all have said, the best approach is to start slowly in lower heels that you can walk reasonably well in. 

Starting off by fueling at night is a good idea.  Throwing yourself out into a long walk in a heavily populated area is sure to create a lot of stress, you want to avoid emotional/physical set backs at all costs buddy. 

So, to answer your question, don't wear those heels to fuel up unless you can walk reasonably well in them...   don

• Thanks 1

On 20/10/2017 at 11:05 PM, Sefir said:

Hi everyone, 

I've worn heels on and off privately for a few years now(being 21) and only recently with the use of a car, been able to use them more often for driving. The first time my mum found out was in uni halls and she thought there was something wrong with me... and not to ever let my dad find out... so you can tell the privacy issue with heels and still living at home with parents.

I'm wondering about going to drive today in the heels but also filling up at a 24/7 self-service station. I've never tried the heels out in public spaces, so I'm not sure about an Asda 24/7 petrol station. Has anyone around the UK done this stuff before? How is the reaction? These are the shoes https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000XUPC6O/ I really like them, although their use on a dirt back-road might not have done them much good haha

The second point I mean to ask was: I can only buy any shoes like heels or boots online and for collect services like Amazon Prime with lockers and post offices, so as an alternative, is there's any sort of place that people would recommend for size 10 heels/boots around Edinburgh/Glasgow/Fife?

Hi, I'm from the midlands uk and heel in public all the time, only the other day i sat in McDonald's with a pair of 4" heels knee high boots over skinny jeans, got a great compliment from a female member of staff, just be confident and act like you're wearing any pair of men's flat shoes, once you've done it once you'll want more, can't help with the size issues as i only take a size 5, but don't be afraid to go into shops and try on, shop assistants are very helpful and you often get the chance to engage in conversation about the wearing of heels, good luck mate 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone, so I did it that day even though it was half a minute but I still didn't know if anyone saw hahah, I was just overly nervous about it possibly! I did however figure that I might prefer to buy some jeans that actually cover the heels since my regular ones obviously only end at the start of the shoes hahah, so that ought to be a bit easier on the self-conscience :) 

On 10/23/2017 at 10:48 AM, Tacchi Alti said:

I bought a pair of those. Great shoes. I'd advise something a bit more subtle for public wear, even if only ordinary leather rather than patent, if you can handle heels that high confidently on varying surfaces. Remember that wearing them indoors is very different from wearing them on hard and varying surfaces, with rough ground, cracks, slopes, steps, etc. I've worn stilettos a couple of times for shopping but usually stay with wedges or block heels about 4-4.5 inches, and I've never had a comment. Most people don't even notice. My wife accepts that sort of heel and I think occasionally makes me walk on difficult surfaces with her on purpose. Yesterday we went for a walk on the beach, which is a mixture of shingle and sand, with me in my 4.5 inch wedge boots. They're old ones so I didn't worry about the damage from the stones!

You give great advice, and I wish I knew how well I walk, but I don't have any problems taking them on the dirt backroad for a few minutes, so I hope it's rather similar to that.  Once I get the jeans,  should be able to put it to the test assuming confidence isn't at rock bottom with 2nd last year of uni... it sure goes like a seesaw some days!

• Like 1

Long jeans do wonders for confidence although they cover the heel only when you're standing. As you walk the hems rise and show off the heels. If you're nervous (perhaps about particular people you come in contact with) you can just move slowly and your heels remain hidden! Wedges help as there's no immediately visible high heel profile to catch people's eye. They might just notice you have a really short foot or see a narrower profile from behind, but I've never had any comments from anyone, even on a trip last week to head office.

Go for it! I wish I'd had the confidence or even access to decent heels when I was your age! In the times before the Internet we didn't even know there was anyone else out there who shared our passion. There were secretive CD clubs and contacts but nothing just to do with men in heels - that I ever found, anyway.

• Like 1

John Milton

Just now, Cali said:

The other place that people notice is on a staircase going up. The people behind you have a clear view of you shoes as you both go up the stairs.

Oh indeed! I've been aware many times of giving people below me a good view of my heels! Sometimes I wonder exactly what people think, but they've never said anything to me about them. Amusement, wonder, anxiety, anger, envy????

• Like 2

John Milton