Is the world ready for flip-flops?

Aly

I agree Bluejay I also hate the mere sight of flipflops (or thongs as they are known in the 'land down under). Should be totally consigned to oblivion and made against the law to wear the horrible looking things.

I love flip flops in the appropriate places. Casual places, beaches, out shopping and having fun it up with pals, even casual office wear in the warmer months. If the fashion designer is showing those types of clothes, than yeah flip flops work. There are many places they are not really good to wear.

The key as with all sandals is to keep your feet in great condition. 

Also there are some quite nice and more elegant flip flops than foam and plastic. There are leather ones, embossed ones, cool colors, braided leather etc.

I loved wearing flip flops before I was 18.  Since then I've always been required by husband to wear shoes that cover my feet.      I do however like the ide of heels flip flops and the sexy anckle strap.  I'd love to show off my cute feet I then if allowed.  Girls with foot problems shouldn't wear but I like seeing s girls bare feet if they are pretty.

High heeled flip flops are actually kind of awesome, and I'm sure @SF would agree with me! The flat, rubber ones get ratty looking in a hurry, but I don't mind the thin-soled leather ones, if heels aren't appropriate for the environment. 

49 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

I have never heard of high-heeled flip-flops....

Are we talking about the same things? 

Shyheels, the link was there in the original post (http://www.marieclaire.com/fashion/news/g5086/flip-flops-spring-2018/?src=socialflowFB

But basically it looks like a pump that got together with a flip-flop and somehow had a baby, this would be it.  It's definitely not a good combined look.

I think flip-flops have a place, like pool-side, the beach, and they are relatively standard on many teen girls in the summer, otherwise, nah...

1 hour ago, Shyheels said:

I have never heard of high-heeled flip-flops....

Are we talking about the same things? 

Oh yes, they exist, and I'm not talking about those giant foam platform wedges you often see middle-aged Asian ladies wearing, I mean thong-type sandals with proper stiletto heels. I own a few pair myself, but none with a heel as high as the pair pictured below. Those are merely aspirational, both physically and financially  

99% of the high heeled flip flops out there are kitten heels, I assume because fitment can be pretty tricky, and comfort is difficult to achieve. But it can be done!

IMG_8700.PNG

Oh...my definition of flip-flops are those rubbery things you keep in your backpack wen you're bumming around Asia; perfect for not stepping on stonefish or for avoiding nasty things on shower floors in the sorts of cheap flops I usually stayed in back then. Nothing gilded with stiletto heels...

Shyheels, seems you completely ignored the link I just gave you which demonstrated the exact picture of rubber looking flip flops crossed with heels... the shoes mlroseplant posted above I would consider to be just golden sandals with heels (NOT flip flops), but oh well...

No, I didn’t ignore it. My remark was referencing specifically the gilded sandals above. And while your link demonstrated that heels and flip flops could be crossed, my top-of-mind image for flip flops will still be the aforementioned cheap rubbery things, something with which I have personal experience

Edited by Shyheels

I have always liked the thong style of sandal.  I have many pairs of "thongs," with chunky, wedgie, and kitten heels - some are even flats.  "Flip Flops" to me are the all flat rubber slip on sandals.  I have a few pair of those too and each style has its place depending on where I am going and what I am doing.  Here is a pic of one of my thongs styles.  

The "flip flops" are for very casual times, beach, yard work, quick errands.  The "thongs" are for more casual and / or dressier times, when a flat rubber "flip flop" would not be appropriate, at least not for me.  But, as with everything, we all have different tastes and enjoy different styles of heels and sandals.  

As an example, I just got off of a cruise.  I took a pair of flat rubber "flip flops" for the pool and deck wear, but also brought a pair of very nice wedgie leather "thongs" for dinner and evening wear.  Even got a few compliments!!!   

Wear what you enjoy and have fun.......    sf  

P.S. Mlroseplant....  I like those "thongs" that you posted, I have a very similar pair in black, with a lower heel - love 'em.....

IMG_6280.jpg

Edited by SF
add pic...

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"