Irma gerd!

Rockpup

Hi everyone, been quiet here, but busy in Southwest Florida. After a lot of pressure from friends and my husband I secured the house and evacuated ahead of the storm. While a pain it might have been good as the eye went right over our neighborhood. While we got lucky that the house was ok we did get back to find bad flooding and a lot of damaged landscaping. Thankfully I have knee high Hunter Lapuns and Champery boots to keep my feet clean and the work interesting :)

I hope everyone else affected is ok.

D9E07376-B0DD-466A-985C-3CE7E6C7F7DB-16271-000008BECFF02E54.jpeg

05C64D89-751E-4A81-9E49-58982EF58091-18259-00000A1C72CD03C9.jpeg

• Like 2

(formerly known as "JimC")

Great boots for yard work, glad you survived OK.  I think you made the right decision leaving, My Mom and sister mistakenly toughed it out in Naples.  I'm hoping they have learned their lesson and will make better plans for the next storm....

I have an RSW trip later next month, will be interesting to see the damage/suffering first hand.  My Mom's assisted living apartment was on the second floor, fortunately her power came back on after a few days.  My sister's place literally turned into an island, water up to the lanai, and in the garage, but it didn't get in the house....Took two weeks to get power back.  She was very lucky indeed.  I had nightmares about seeing her floating around in a cooler down there....

Sorry about the truck, but happy the house didn't get flooded....My sister somehow jammed their cars into the garage, so they were spared....But your picture looks like what my sister experienced, their house was the island surrounded by water....

Their generator crapped out after a few hours use, tried to talk them through carb service on the phone but was not successful....A nice neighbor somehow tied their fridge into his generator....Will fix it in a few weeks for them....I'm amazed/thankful a tree didn't go through the roof....

During a heavy summer thunderstorm the power went out. My neighbor came running over looking for some pipe fittings. I asked him what he was trying to do and he said he was trying to get his boat's bilge pump plumbed in to use as a sump pump to keep water out of his basement. They had been carrying water out in buckets! I took him out to the garage, handed him a heavy extension cord and to plug in his sump pump and told him I would be over in a minute with my generator. He hesitated and said he didn't want to borrow my generator. I told him he didn't have a choice and stop arguing! I filled up the fuel tank, started it up in the shop, out of the rain, then rolled it over to his house, got him plugged in and told him he could bring it back the next day. It struck me funny that he didn't want to borrow it, but it was close to flooding the lower level of his home.

Edited by Pumped
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Pumped said:

During a heavy summer thunderstorm the power went out. My neighbor came running over looking for some pipe fittings. I asked him what he was trying to do and he said he was trying to get his boat's bilge pump plumbed in to use as a sump pump to keep water out of his basement. They had been carrying water out in buckets! I took him out to the garage, handed him a heavy extension cord and to plug in his sump pump and told him I would be over in a minute with my generator. He hesitated and said he didn't want to borrow my generator. I told him he didn't have a choice and stop arguing! I filled up the fuel tank, started it up in the shop, out of the rain, then rolled it over to his house, got him plugged in and told him he could bring it back the next day. It struck me funny that he didn't want to borrow it, but it was close to flooding the lower level of his home.

Your neighbor probably just felt uneasy borrowing your generator, fearing you might need it.  He was probably also worried about something happening to it while in his custody...I'm sure he is very appreciative of your generosity....

We swap tools and help each other all the time so no idea why he was reluctant to borrow the generator. He has keys to my house and shop and watches the place if we are gone. I really think he was so focused on getting his boat's bilge pump working that he just was not thinking.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As a South Florida native, I'm just glad many Publix stores have generators, because I existed on Publix deli food for about a week... Even if it's a sack of burgers from MacDonalds, that first real warm food after a storm is thee best damn food you ever had in your life...

• Like 1

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

8 hours ago, wood&metal said:

As a South Florida native, I'm just glad many Publix stores have generators, because I existed on Publix deli food for about a week... Even if it's a sack of burgers from MacDonalds, that first real warm food after a storm is thee best damn food you ever had in your life...

Yea, gas grill with a side burner made things a little nicer here.

• Like 1

(formerly known as "JimC")