A Hard Summer for my Sandals

mlroseplant

It has been a disappointing summer for my sandal collection. I have lost 4 pairs. On two pairs, the straps ripped out of their attachment points. I had one of these repaired, but it blew out again on me in less than a month. On another pair, the soles (both of them) separated from the footbed. Obviously defective. 

My latest mishap occurred last night. Included below are pictures of the damage. My True Religion mules were becoming comfortable enough to actually go for a walk in. Out of the box, the leather was very stiff, and they weren't really good for anything beyond running errands in. But I thought they were coming round, so the wife and I went for a short walk--about one mile. Evidently, I lost one of the top lifts (heel tips) at some point, and I ground half an inch off one of the heels. Dammit! The heels appear to be wooden, but now I know they aren't solid wood! They appear to be made of something similar to MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard), and they didn't take the torture well. 

Funny thing is, I've done a fraction of the walking this summer that I have in summers past, and I never had so many sandals break on me like this!

IMG_8686.JPG

IMG_8687.JPG

mlroseplant,

Are you sure you don't want to learn something of being a shoe cobbler?? I feel better when I can stretch a shoe or dye a shoe to the desired color. I really think you could get some get some rubber and make your own sole repairs. While sandal sales abound this time of year it is simply impossible to just replace a pair of shoes you really love so why not learn how to restore them??  You already work on cars in heels so why work on heels in heels??   I guess this is where the rubber meets the road :)    HappyinHeels

• Like 1

Mlroseplant,

See the silver lining! This is definitely a buying opportunity for you. Lots of end-of-season clearance sales going on. You go, guy!

:-)

And HiH is right - you can easily make minor repairs yourself and extend the wear life of your shoes. There's lots of "how to" stuff on the internet if you need help.

Steve