Treadmill

Pierre1961

As I am lucky enough to have my own treadmill at home ( very boring), I wanted to have a walk on it with my beloved 17 cms Fuss shoes. 

I found it was  much more difficult to walk on that machine than  in the house or even outside. 

3 km/ hour was fine. 3,5 was hard. As I had to walk in a strick line ,with  no possibility of putting  a  foot on the side, keep the balance was difficult. 

Maybe should I train more? Or is it unuseful ? Has anyone already tried ? 

Please answer before you try and  twist an ankle 

Pierre 

The difficulty comes from the perfect regular speed an line you have to follow. 

I had though  that perfection plus a soft and flat soil would help. Not at all. It easier to walk on a normal pavement. Then you can choose your speed and adapt your balance  

It has nothing to do with the position of the feet because of the extreme heels. 

So my opinion is that training on a treadmill is not useful. 

It depends on the quality of your treadmill, but manny are designed for a wide shoe like a sneaker and the wider foot print spreds out the load.  A treadmil with a smaller motor won't handle a point load well and will bog down.  The high heal does not spread the weight as well and creates more resistance on the treadmill.  As it bogs down it slows and as you step off it speeds up making it difficult to keep pace.  When we bought a higher end treadmill this problem went away.

Hello 

my treadmill was quite expensive,so I can expect these problems wouldn't be the reason. 

I more think I can't walk perfectly on a straight line. Balance problem. If I help myself with the hands then I can walk perfectly. 

Even with 6 inches. And long. I will train and hope I won't gradually need my hands anymore. 

Thank you. 

Pierre 

1 hour ago, Charlotte said:

It depends on the quality of your treadmill, but manny are designed for a wide shoe like a sneaker and the wider foot print spreds out the load.  A treadmil with a smaller motor won't handle a point load well and will bog down.  The high heal does not spread the weight as well and creates more resistance on the treadmill.  As it bogs down it slows and as you step off it speeds up making it difficult to keep pace.  When we bought a higher end treadmill this problem went away.

You actually exercise on a treadmill in heels? 

30 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

You actually exercise on a treadmill in heels? 

My husband sometimes makes me walk on the treadmill with ballet boots or stiletto's.   I also have other restraint that makes it harder.  (for details about that pm).  I normally can go five mph with no real problems  for an hour Or two at a time.   Admittedly I am not running on it in heels.   If running I generally wear sneakers and go much faster.   I'm not saying I couldn't run on it and heels, but the risk of twisting and ankle or something goes up dramatically so I feel it is not wise to go much quicker than a brisk walk.

2 minutes ago, Charlotte said:

My husband sometimes makes me walk on the treadmill with ballet boots or stiletto's.   I also have other restraint that makes it harder.  (for details about that pm).  I normally can go five mph with no real problems  for an hour Or two at a time.   Admittedly I am not running on it in heels.   If running I generally wear sneakers and go much faster.   I'm not saying I couldn't run on it and heels, but the risk of twisting and ankle or something goes up dramatically so I feel it is not wise to go much quicker than a brisk walk.

You must be very fit and flexible. I used to do a lot of fencing and have flexible feet and ankles but I am quite sure I couldn't manage that. 

11 minutes ago, Shyheels said:

You must be very fit and flexible. I used to do a lot of fencing and have flexible feet and ankles but I am quite sure I couldn't manage that. 

My husband streches my feet and legs quite a bit daily so I do have a lot of flexibility.   As for being fit, my husband thinks I can lose a few more pounds  although I feel I'm in pretty good shape.

9 minutes ago, Pierre1961 said:

I do it for keeping my calf muscles 

and to improve the speed 

i am ashamed : only 3 mph with 6 inches 

Keep trying… I Couldn't even do with three mph the first time I tried.   Just don't push yourself too hard… You certainly don't want to break an ankle  from advancing too fast.   The more you do it the easier it gets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlotte said:

My husband streches my feet and legs quite a bit daily so I do have a lot of flexibility.   As for being fit, my husband thinks I can lose a few more pounds  although I feel I'm in pretty good shape.

I do a lot of stretching too, on my own behalf, and am in fact training for a particular event I want to do in a couple of years. I don't wear heels, so I am only guessing, but even the prospect of trying cover ground on a treadmill seems pretty daunting, a great way to turn an ankle. I am not quite sure I understand the motivation.

Edited by Shyheels

On 9/25/2017 at 9:04 AM, Shyheels said:

I do a lot of stretching too, on my own behalf, and am in fact training for a particular event I want to do in a couple of years. I don't wear heels, so I am only guessing, but even the prospect of trying cover ground on a treadmill seems pretty daunting, a great way to turn an ankle. I am not quite sure I understand the motivation.

My husband likes watching it.  For a serious workout I wear sneakers but heels looks way sexier 

Edited by Charlotte

Got it now... slow on the uptake. You have mentioned rock climbing and mountaineering in other threads and I thought for some reason you were training in heels. Been awake and writing too long today... brain getting soggy. Yep, I agree heels look way cooler than sneakers!  

Edited by Shyheels

1 minute ago, Shyheels said:

Got it now... slow on the uptake. You have mentioned rock climbing and mountaineering in other threads and I thought for some reason you were training in heels. I agree heels look way cooler than sneakers!  

Rock climbing and hiking are done in the proper footwear.

Edited by Charlotte

• 2 weeks later...

Hello 

some news about my training on the treadmill 

I am now able to walk 30 minutes on the treadmill at 4,5 km/h with my 17 cms ( no platform ,size 43)  pumps.No more balance problem and the calf muscles are ok  

its quite easy now . No need of the help of my hands on the machine arms. I think it has helped me a lot for mastering extreme  heels walk.

The target is  one hour walk .that should be ok in a couple of weeks  

i will keep you informed.

I wish all of you a nice week end  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pierre1961 said:

Hello 

some news about my training on the treadmill 

I am now able to walk 30 minutes on the treadmill at 4,5 km/h with my 17 cms ( no platform ,size 43)  pumps.No more balance problem and the calf muscles are ok  

its quite easy now . No need of the help of my hands on the machine arms. I think it has helped me a lot for mastering extreme  heels walk.

The target is  one hour walk .that should be ok in a couple of weeks  

i will keep you informed.

I wish all of you a nice week end  

Which pumps do you have? Anyway, I wish you good luck with your progress :-)

1 hour ago, Pierre1961 said:

I haven't succeeded in making a video. I would need the help of some one. 

So only 2 pictures 

they don't reflect the motion at all. Better than nothing 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great view!!!

• Haha 1

Yes, I can walk in 6.5 inch heels!!!