The August eclipse - anyone see it??

SF

On August 21, a total eclipse crossed the United States from coast to coast.  Was anyone other than me able to be in a position to see totality??  Me and three other friends took a road trip to Eastern Idaho for the experience.  The weather was perfect, and I was joined by thousands of other eclipse viewers. 

Back in 1991, I saw a total eclipse in Baja California Mexico and was so awed by the sight that I vowed I would see another in my life time.  I am glad that I made the effort to see it again.  The experience was beautiful, and difficult to describe.  I only wish that totality lasted longer, it was a bit over two minutes, not long enough.  

And, keeping with the tone of this website, I am sad to say that I did not wear heels during this trip.  It was a quick trip, we did some hiking and off road travel, stuff that was not real suitable for high heels.  To redeem myself a bit I did have a nice pedicure and wear some flat Clarks gals thongs when possible.  

The next total solar eclipse in the US will be in seven years.  If you are into astronomy or otherwise into this stuff, seriously consider experiencing a total eclipse, you won't regret the experience.  

sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

• 1 month later...

SF,

I commented on this in another area of the site. My wife, son, and I went to Herculaneum, MO about 30 miles/51 km south of St. Louis on 21 August and watched it there. We had 2 minutes and 32 seconds of darkness there. The day before we saw my aunt and uncle and toured the Abraham Lincoln Pres. Library in Springfield, IL as my uncle volunteers there. Great trip and fantastic eclipse experience. Our weather was very warm, 91F/32.5C to start, and the temperature fell about 12F/7C by the end of totality. A truly awe-inspiring experience reminding us all of our place in the universe. There was definitely something spiritual about it. We may watch the next one in Mexico (greatest duration is near Nazas, Durango) or in Quebec where my father grew up. This will occur on 8 April 2024. I highly recommend this experience to anyone. You'll never forget it!  HAppyinHeels

Happy....   Glad the you and some of the others here were able to see it.  It WAS fabulous.  I am making tentative plans to see the next one.  Road trip !!!   Take care....     sf

Here are some "little eclipse shadows" after the total event !!!!   

IMG_6446.jpg

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"