Thinking about starting a blog...

KneeBooted

As Fall approaches, and I am mentally preparing myself for more local outings, I started thinking about documenting my outings, etc.

More than anything, I want feedback regarding equipment you use to take pictures of yourself?

I unfortunately only have an iPhone 5S at my disposal currently, and pictures are 'meh' quality at best.

I thought about reaching out to friends that are photographers, but in all fairness, I would rather not spend the money because my wife and I are also prepping for our first kiddo who should be arriving early October.

If the blog was nothing more than pictures and a brief description, would you follow along? My outfit ideas are not too drastic, and usually are working to combine men's and women's fashion. By no means are the looks androgynous. It is clearly masculine overlaid with feminine style.

I would love any and all feedback, good or bad.

Thanks,

Jeff

As to taking pictures of yourself it can certainly be done, and done to a very high standard, with tripods and a half-decent camera and self timers and/or auto shutter releases. I am a photographer and have written articles for solo travellers/ expeditions who want/need to take images of themselves while they are on the road. I have much first-hand experience of this. Some models of Canon compact cameras have adjustable self-timers that will allow you to vary the length of shutter delay from 2-30 seconds and the number of photos that will be taken from 1-10. It is very handy, for example, if you are a solo traveller - and it would be useful in your circumstance too. The gear for this is not terribly expensive but it is more than just picking up your basic point and shoot  and if you have a baby coming along it might be unaffordable at present. 

Edited by Shyheels

I thought of a nail and heel blog myself....maybe one day.

Look into refurbished cameras. I got a Cannon T5 Rebel at a nice price....The camera will also come in handy to capture those moments with your kid. 

• 1 month later...

The best investment you can make is not an expensive camera, but an inexpensive camera holder/tripod, so you can take photos which are steady, clear and focused. Then go to the library or read on the internet about basic lighting so you don't try to take photos of yourself with a bright background, putting yourself in shadow. Learn how to use the self timer and learn how to do basic editing - cropping, rotating if necessary, and color balance. Once you've mastered all that, be prepared to spend LOTS of time on the blog. If you don't post to it frequently it will get old and stale and people will stop viewing it. If you don't think kiddo will give you much time for the blog, better postpone the blog until you're sure you can do it. It's a bigger task than you think. Look at all the blogs that have started here and dropped by the wayside. Few are left.

Steve

• Thanks 1