Lack of larger sizes in women's shoes

at9

Interesting piece.

When I was a kid it was very hard for me to find shoes in my size (US men's 13-14) Nowadays I can go into any shop and pick up a pair of my-size trainers, easily, and they won't even be the biggest they have. I guess women's shoes, for the usual vanity and fashion reasons, have not kept pace with the bigger feet people seem to have these days. 

• 4 months later...

Interesting article.  The best advice I can offer is... Don't Pass Up A Good Quality Pair of Larger Size Shoes or Boots When They Are Available.

The manufacturers will only continue to make them if we continue to buy them.  You can rest assured that there will always be demand for the larger sizes and if you want to swap them later with someone else on this site I'm sure there will be someone who will want them.  I always buy the more expensive leather soled offerings when I see that they are available.  Sometimes they are not available for long, either, so don't wait too long.  I just found out that two different pairs of boots that I wanted (high quality, leather soled, with cushioned insoles) are no longer available, probably as of the end of last year.  That was quite a let down (I just found out today).

They are even cutting back on US size 9 and 10 in many stores lately.  Those sizes appear gone from the clearance shelves now with tons of 5, 6, 7's overflowing.  It really seems like their buyers are not too smart if they don't order enough in some sizes selling out well before Christmas but have thousands of pairs left in small sizes after the holidays. 

I'm hitting the discount outlets this time of year and have found a few pairs of interest in 10's but they are few compared to previous years.   Forget about 11's.  I guess I'd better take care of my collection so it lasts me a long time to come. 

On 16/01/2018 at 9:16 PM, blueparrot said:

They are even cutting back on US size 9 and 10 in many stores lately.  Those sizes appear gone from the clearance shelves now with tons of 5, 6, 7's overflowing.  It really seems like their buyers are not too smart if they don't order enough in some sizes selling out well before Christmas but have thousands of pairs left in small sizes after the holidays. 

I'm hitting the discount outlets this time of year and have found a few pairs of interest in 10's but they are few compared to previous years.   Forget about 11's.  I guess I'd better take care of my collection so it lasts me a long time to come. 

I'm seeing this too. What is available sells out fast.

It really is astounding because it is no secret that people - men and women - are getting bigger (not just wider) and have larger feet. One would think that any sensible marketer would see this trend and cater for it. My daughter, for example, aged 14, is tall and already nearing the limits of ready availability in women's shoes - and she's not that big (5'9").  If one looks on the Long Tall Sally site, mentioned in the story, and look at their offerings it is almost always the biggest sizes which are sold out.

Just a couple of years ago, it was easy to walk into a Payless Shoe Source and find a large offering of size 12's and 13's for trial.  Something HAS happened - beyond the financial problem - to those displayed.  When I see something of interest on line a check the stores in the area; nothing is available for trial.  As one other said, I need to take care of the current collection.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I gave up on Payless stores and order everything I buy from them online. If you buy enough, and that's not hard to do, you can get free shipping. If you get it shipped to your home, you can return it to a store for an exchange or refund free. You can also always get free shipping to the nearest store, and if it doesn't fit, while you're in the store, apply for a refund on the spot. It's not as good as seeing more large size inventory in the store though, that's for sure.

Steve

Hey all 

I myself have a size 12/13 and stores don’t carry my size so online I must go. I have been using eBay, long tall sally and spiceup.com.au (Australian). 

However recently whilst being on my instagram (staightheels) I found a site called plussizeheels.com. They are great and caters for sizes 11 to 15. The admin has even contacted a manufacturer of heel I liked to see if they would extend their size range! 

FSJ shoes also cater for large sizes and even give you the option to customise your shoes. I’ve just bough Chelsea boots from FSJ and if they are good I will definitely be buying more from them (will post when I have them)

I think there are larger sizes for women these days. I'm a ladies 9.5. I like 70s shoes, and find it very hard to find old 9 and 10s out there, and the shoes were very narrow. Easier to find 11 and 12s now. 

I agree. Back in the 70s and 80s, my wife, who is tall, always wore an 11 narrow. That was really hard to find in stores then, and often had to be special ordered by mail. The internet has made it a lot easier, but she now wears an 11M and has a lot more choices anyway. I can wear an 11 in  an open back shoe (sandal or clog) but I need a 12 in pumps, loafer pumps, boots, and flats.

Steve