Sign in to follow this  
BannedMoron

Garter belt -- help!

Please help me find a garter belt that I can use!

I just bought this, a cheap one:

https://www.amazon.com/After-Eden-Womens-Garter-10-41-9165/dp/B01N6P28SR

See photo;

This is kind of usefull, but not --the fasteners to the stockings are too small and impossible to operate for me

second, the clasps on the part that attaches to the stocking are loose, they will fall off when you are fiddling with this :-((

I need something more substantial, with really good clasps, anyone?

gjgjggk.jpg

OldMountain:  Give Salems Boutique a call in New York, City . Perhaps they can help you.  I had to wear a garter belt

with these hose for this picture. The belt is a good one and I have had it for years.    spikesmike

DSCF5268.JPG

Edited by spikesmike
  • Like 2

As a fan of retro fully fashioned stockings I tend to favour old school classic suspender belts (UK terminology) or garter belts. Personal preference is an 8 strap model with nice wide straps/metal clasps..... nice and secure and able to keep those seams straight. 

Purchased a few from here in the past. Plenty of models ranging from 6 to 14 adjustable straps!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110980451235 

http://www.nylonz.com/8-strap-plain-suspender-belt-black-27-p.asp

Edited by aristoc
Apologies can't seem to get link to work.

Yes, garters can be very fidgety.  I don't like the cheap plastic ones.  They rip your stocking tops but they should hold if you insert the button in correctly. 

And they crack easily too.  The OP's may want to check theirs for cracks.

I don't like the flat stamped metal garters either.  Sharp edges also snag those expensive and delicate stockings.

I prefer the metal wire ones.  Nice and smooth.

Another thing the OP might want to check is their stockings are actually made for garters.  A lot of modern stockings are designed to stay up by themselves and have silicone grips around the tops, which are too chunky to go through a garter.

You need to look for a suspender belt with metal hardware. All good quality lingerie has metal hardware on adjusters and fastenings. In the case of a suspender belt you need the metal loops (not plastic ones) that the plastic/rubberised clips slide into and hold the welts on your upper thigh. Look for metal adjusters on the suspender straps to control length, and there should be at least 3 rows of hooks on the waistband (ie 3 waist adjustments) . Good suspender belts will most likely have 4 adjustments.

Try the belt on - you need to wear it on the loosest hooks when you buy it. It will loose elasticity just like a bra does, and you will need to use the tighter rows in the future to ensure consistent support.

A boned suspender belt is more comfortable than one without (eg the one pictured), so consider boned suspender belts - which will keep it sitting flat & straight on your hips as you move.

As already mentioned the stockings you're suspending should be finer on the welts where the clips attach. Lace is ok, there should be no silicone or elastac banding (I think thats what they call the non silicon rubberised ones) - which is obviously for hold-ups only. In the absence of any heavy fabric the suspenders will hold well if the clasps are metal rings/plastic coated metal rings.

I find 4 straps commonly available, and from experience a fitted 4 strap will work for me all day. Sure I get a little slippage- but thats normal with any suspender especially on the rear suspenders as they get a lot of tension from sitting down and the straps slowly let loose (not the stocking - the adjuster on the straps) A simple tweak on your straps fixes that. My favourites are 6 strap styles, because they are still pretty and the work so well. I have 2 from Dita Von Teese and 1 Christies, 1 Valisere and 2 La Perla.

Most readily available suspender belts are 4 strap nowadays, the vintage styles of 6/8 strap are available but they are not as delicate in their design. If you want something functional & pretty try regular lingerie outlets carefully looking for metal hardware , if you want something functional but plain try a vintage style suspender belt -(unfortunately they usually won't be boned)

hope this rambling helps.

• Like 1

Very interesting informations, thank you, guys!

But i have a problem with my suspenders: they are too long, perhaps a trivial problem for us guys with our shorter body than womens.. Do you know that? What are youre solution against it?

Please excuse my terrible english,

kind regards and my best wishes for christmas an a  succesful new year,

Metoeke

All the suspenders I have and have ever seen can be adjusted for length since womens' legs aren't uniform in length and girth.

Put the garter belt and a stocking on, clip one garter to a stocking top and adjust by sliding the slider, then repeat 4 or more times.

On 12/25/2017 at 9:42 AM, Metoeke said:

But i have a problem with my suspenders: they are too long, perhaps a trivial problem for us guys with our shorter body than womens.. Do you know that? What are youre solution against it?

The suspenders should adjust in length with hardware on them - little sliders - mostly like a bra shoulder strap adjusts in length. Some very expensive suspenders have very little adjustment on the front, commonly 3 lengths determined by folding part up and it hooks up with a metal hook - the same as a detachable/multiway bra strap comes on an off the bra. Regardless they all adjust for length.

You shouldn't need to adjust a suspender belts straps to suit your leg length - that is more a function of wearing the right length of stockings so the stocking welt is comfortably around you upper thighs. The suspender belt straps are more about your waist to welt(upper thighs) measurement. A suspender belt should be worn on the waist - 2 to 3 fingers above your tummy button is the average waist for a woman, it needs width in your body after your waist to sit comfortably and work. You might be wearing it too low. I am lucky in that I am narrowest just around my tummy button and I can wear a suspender belt very easily - but if you are squarer shaped (and some women are too) then you don't have hips etc for your belt to sit on and it will drop too low and your straps will become too long! There is no fix for a garment that isn't right for your body type. A suspender belt is a tailored piece of lingerie, just as a bra is too, and we know its hard even for women to get their body fitted.

I would suspect you are wearing a suspender belt too low, and if that cannot be helped becaue of your body shape then you should find a more modern lingerie styled hipster suspender (that sits lower on the hips instead of the waist) and it will have shorter suspenders to start with.

Hope my ramblings might help?

All the best

Hi freestyler,

your analyis is - to my chagrin, so i think - absolutly precisely. I hope, i can your friendly counsels realise.

I wish you an all the community her a best, succesful year. You'll can the new year celebrate half a day earlier than here in (good?) old europe.

Kindly greetings and many thanks for your friendly and elaborately information,

Metoeke